Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Swift Springs dynoed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:04 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Swift Springs dynoed

Well I posted on another thread that I would in detail explain the substantial difference between Swift springs, and all other springs. So here it is.

I really don't know where to start with this but Ill just jump into it.
I have tested out many different types of suspension systems. One of the biggest factors in the entire suspension system is of course the Spring.

There are a few factors to look into when it comes to springs.
-stroke
-accuracy of spring rate
-weight

Now I'm sure most of you are aware of the spring binding problem with megan and the BC coilover system. Well that is completely a spring issue, most companies totally cheap out on the springs of the suspension systems especially the more inexpensive ones.

I have dynoed pretty much every springs I can get my hands on. So I can show you the differences of them.

Name:  PICT0605.jpg
Views: 8631
Size:  85.3 KB
Here is a side by side comparison of the Swift spring and the Megan Coilover spring. You can easily see the difference in the number of coils between the 2. The Megan(black) has many more coils than the Swift(gold). If you were to fully compress both springs the Swift is half the size of the Megan. This means that there is that much more stroke in the spring. Heres the crazy part..... The Swift spring you see there is 10kg/mm, while the Megan is 8kg/mm. You can pretty much put any spring side by side with the Swift and its the same result (Eibach, H&R, Hipercoil, Cross, just to name a few)
-because there is less coils not only is there more stroke, but it is also a lot lighter. (Dammit, I forgot to write down the weight. Ill edit it later with the weight)

Name:  PICT0607.jpg
Views: 6576
Size:  98.4 KB
this is the 8KG vs the 6KG for the Megan.

Name:  PICT0617.jpg
Views: 6454
Size:  53.8 KB
This is a spring Dyno. The way I tested these springs is first I converted the spring from KG/mm to lb/in. The way the spring rate works is for example if I had an 8kg spring, it would take 8kg to lower it 1mm, and then it would take another 8kg on top of that to lower it another mm. (sorry if its wordy but I cant explain it any other way)

Well. I definately wasnt going to lower it one millimeter at a time so I converted the KG to LB. The spring on this dyno is 8kg/mm. So after the conversion it was 450lbs/in.
here are the numbers

Megan(8kg. convert 450lbs) 1st inch-494lb, 2nd inch- 551lbs, it didnt even make it to the 3rd inch it was maybe about 2&1/4 of an inch where it maxed and it was already at 594lbs.

Swift (10kg. convert 564lbs) 1st inch- 559lbs, 2nd inch- 564lbs, 3rd inch- 566lbs, 4th inch- maxed. Every inch it was off no more than 5lbs. If that isnt accurate I dont know what is.

Name:  PICT0618.jpg
Views: 6199
Size:  38.5 KB
I also tested and RECORDED another spring from a higher end coilover called Zeal, who makes there own springs and though it was much better than megan it was again no comparrison.

I just started recording the numbers to show you the difference between the Swift spring and Megans. but I have tested almost every single spring out there. Even the most popular spring company like eibach is off the rate by at least 25lbs.

I've tested everything from Eibach (race springs), Vogtland, Tanabe, Tein. The only company that comes close to the swift springs in accuracy was a company called Hipercoil which was off by 15lbs. But then again had a bunch of coils like the Megan spring.

I couldn't find one single company that has outperformed Swift springs in any categories that I have stated
-weight
-stroke
-spring rate accuracy

This is why I use Swift spring in every single coilover in every single car I own.

--by the way if anyone wants me to test out any spring just ship them to me and I will dyno it for you.

ps. sorry its late and was really tired when writing this. I will edit it and correct everything later.

Last edited by ninjlao; 03-15-2010 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aabcds (10-15-2018)
Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 AM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank you for the informative post. most of us don't have the luxury of a spring dyno and are forced to rely on manufacturer data/hype.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting post. What kind of accuracy do the H&R springs have? Also, have you ever dynoed springs from the Bilstein coilover kits, like the PSS9? If you have, are they decently accurate?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Very cool! Can't wait to order the TSW/AST/Swift setup eventually one day sometime in the probably extremely distant future.

Ah dreams...

mb

Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Have you dynoed the Cross/JIC , Bilstiens, or the AST?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:27 AM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Thanks for posting that. I've always wondered if there was any truth to their marketing.
I might take you up on your offer to dyno springs. I'm having my Konis revalved so the suspension is going to be apart soon anyway.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's more general info on springs http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/spring.shtml

Spacing between the coils doesn't tell the whole story on available stroke, but I'm sure the OP was attempting to simplify comparitive details for ease of readership understanding.

A little off topic with this, most springs don't keep their original spec forever; from my experience aftermarket lowering springs designed for standard struts are short lived and prone to binding (H-Sport for example). I've seen long term OEM springs with little indication of bind or sag; the're very well made for their intended use.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
I have Dynoed JIC,
- they are horrible springs but better that megan by a hair. In fact I took the springs off of my friends car which had about 1000 miles on it, because he was switching to swifts. Anyways when I got the springs to dyno it they were supposed to be 160 millimeters, but when i compared the 2 springs, the JIC were about a half inch shorter. So then I pulled out all 4 springs and found that they were all different height. This is what spring sag is.
--in fact most coilovers have spring sag. If you were to take your springs out of your coilover after using them for a while you will see that they are all different height, (some companies tell us crap like that is what happens after you break the springs in, Eibach) but its actually sag. I have taken my oldest set of swifts which is in my AE86, that I have had for 2 years now with about 30000 miles, the springs are all still the exact same height that they were intended to be.

I did not test he Bilstein PSS9 because they are progressive springs. Progressive springs are a type of springs for the street. The rate progressively gets stiffer. That is like my dynoing the MINI's stock springs. The numbers wouldnt come out right anyways.

I also wanted to say that AFCO was the worst spring manufacturer out of the bunch that specializes in Springs. They almost immediately sag. And the rates are all over the place.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:00 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Originally Posted by k-huevo
Here's more general info on springs http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/spring.shtml

A little off topic with this, most springs don't keep their original spec forever; from my experience aftermarket lowering springs designed for standard struts are short lived and prone to binding (H-Sport for example). I've seen long term OEM springs with little indication of bind or sag; the're very well made for their intended use.
This is very true. I picked up so many sets of springs I became good friends with the owner of the company Swift. He would tell me that his business hurts sometimes because the springs are too good. Most race teams buy a bunch of springs every season because they eventually wear out and would have to toss them. The race teams that buys Swift never need to come back because they never wear down, and always stays accurate. He jokingly said he wants to tell japan to make them crappier. HAHA

also I went into the warehouse and he has already tested every single spring known to man. But they have done extensive tests (all third party testing companies, in both japan and america), for example there is a machine that compresses the spring over and over again at a high speed and see when the spring would give out and snap. I read all of the paper work and in it were snap shots of the broken springs that were tested, and I seriously couldnt believe the tests. Most springs broke at 200,000 compressions, really crappy ones broke at 50,000 compressions, then there was a snapshot of Swift springs. They were the only ones in tact and the paperwork said that they did 1,000,000 compressions and it wouldn't break, and because I was already there I decided to test the spring that had a million compressions put on them and still they are no more than 5 pounds off in rate.

I know Im starting to sound like a sales man but the difference is rediculous. I used to use the springs for myself because the drive from these springs compared to others is a night and day difference(but thats personal preference) I did not expect these springs to blow away the competition in these tests like they are.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Shadow Side
1st Gear
Do any of the forum vendors sell the Swift setup?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 PM
james f
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Shadow Side
Do any of the forum vendors sell the Swift setup?
Texas Speed Werks do

Old 11-05-2008, 02:52 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
I just wanted people to know that these springs are fairly expensive springs they retail for about 400 dollars a set so 200 for a pair.

im sure you can buy them from a shop for about 350-375 for the set.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:30 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ninjlao
I did not test he Bilstein PSS9 because they are progressive springs. Progressive springs are a type of springs for the street. The rate progressively gets stiffer. That is like my dynoing the MINI's stock springs. The numbers wouldnt come out right anyways.
I thought the stock springs have a linear rate.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:45 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Yes it is. I appologize they are linnear.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
OK, so I looked at their site and I'm sold. I see they have lowering spring that sound much better then whats out there. I currently run Koni FSD's with H-Sport springs. Do you know if they lowering springs for the Mini? I thinking about coilovers but the the FSD with Swift springs could be an awesome combo.

Longboard

Old 11-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Swift springs are the best spring I've found out there. Their feel is wholly consistent, predictable, and precise. The fact that Audi ALMS team uses them is icing on the cake.

Thanks for posting the dyno figures ninjlao

Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
carbonized
3rd Gear
Used to! On the R8. Torsion bars on the R10. Long live the spring!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 PM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
I've taken a look at their website, what can I say, they seem to be very professional people, plus if so many racing teams in different kind of competitions use them, there must be a reason. The very positive feedback here on NAM must mean something too I reckon. I guess for when I'll be getting my coilovers I'll have to put these on the wish list too

Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 PM
discodan
5th Gear
Swift make springs compatible with my H&R Coilovers?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
no they will not work on the H&R. Swift only makes straight springs. The H&R I believe bows out at the top so that the top mounts fit.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 AM
justintime
6th Gear
ah, I was going to get eibach to replace the pss9 progressive fronts, but I think I will spend the extra money on swift. :tu: also, I have some old koni springs layin around if you wanna play with them

Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On Swift's web site, I cannot find any listing for a MINI product - I looked at their PDF spec sheet, but no MINI listing - what am I missing?

Last edited by OldRick; 11-06-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 AM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
They do not sell lowering springs for the mini. This thread is about replacing the coilover springs. Sorry about that.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ninjlao
They do not sell lowering springs for the mini. This thread is about replacing the coilover springs. Sorry about that.
If enough people want then will they consider making them? You seem to know them well so maybe you can give them a push .

Longboard

Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
If enough people want then will they consider making them? You seem to know them well so maybe you can give them a push .

Longboard
It's gonna take a minimum of 20 sets for Swift to R&D and create lowering springs for the MINI. If you can get 20 orders together I'll let him know.

Quick Reply: Suspension Swift Springs dynoed