Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension JCW Suspension for JCW MCS Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:38 PM
HRCVF750
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Suspension for JCW MCS Cabrio

Mini USA is telling me that there is no JCW suspension kit for the 2006 Cabrio.. can anybody out there confirm the accuracy of this?

I have a full-factory 2006 JCW MCS cabrio with everything on it except the suspension kit and I was curious as to why the first owner (I'm the second) spent allot of money to have this car built but left off the JCW suspension parts... If Mini's claim is correct then this would explain why the car doesn't have it.

If it really isn't available I'd like recommendations on the aftermarket kits that are out there. Also, has anyone with an aftermarket suspension kit had any problems with Mini honoring the warranty on their cars?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:41 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This doesn't make sense to me...I cannot imagine why 'a' kit will have trouble fitting...I might suggest aquiring the VIN from a car of equal weight and order a kit with that VIN number. BUT MAKE SURE ALL OF THE COMPONENTS ARE INTERCHANGABLE WITH NON-CONVERTIBLES!!! I do know the convertible. Aside from some bracing differences, I believe all else is the same...though there may be a few running model changes...

Originally Posted by HRCVF750
Mini USA is telling me that there is no JCW suspension kit for the 2006 Cabrio.. can anybody out there confirm the accuracy of this?

I have a full-factory 2006 JCW MCS cabrio with everything on it except the suspension kit and I was curious as to why the first owner (I'm the second) spent allot of money to have this car built but left off the JCW suspension parts... If Mini's claim is correct then this would explain why the car doesn't have it.

If it really isn't available I'd like recommendations on the aftermarket kits that are out there. Also, has anyone with an aftermarket suspension kit had any problems with Mini honoring the warranty on their cars?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 AM
goat
3rd Gear
Actually, there really is no JCW suspension for the R52 cabrio. I believe it is spring rates that were the problem, with BMW choosing not to develop cabrio-specific spring rates for the various weights cabrios can be ordered in. Having said that, I am pretty sure it's been done. meb's advice above about checking out an R53 of similar weight to your R52 is a good starting point (the R52 will weigh more, of course).

Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 AM
HRCVF750
2nd Gear
yeah, apparently it was the spring rates that were the problem....I'm considering using the JCW shocks with my cabrio springs which according to some sources should work well.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:44 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Also, has anyone with an aftermarket suspension kit had any problems with Mini honoring the warranty on their cars?
I have aftermarket suspension parts (sway bar, endlinks, camber plates, and coilovers), and I haven't had any problems with warranty claims, but I haven't had to make any claims on anything suspension-related. (40k so far and I've needed a new passenger engine mount and a wiper motor.)

I'm sure that if I had any problems with suspension parts rubbing/squeaking/clunking, I'd (rightfully) be on my own because of my suspension changes.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:47 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Exactly.

In fact, I have a TON of aftermarket stuff on my car - suspension, engine, brakes, electrical, tune, oil.... and have never had a problem with warranty coverage on the 2 or 3 remaining OEM parts I still have on there.

FWIW, My suspension setup:
Koni FSD struts
Stock springs
H-Sport 19mm rear swaybar
IE fixed front camber plates
zero toe front and rear
-1.8 camber front, -1.5 camber rear

Plus M7 USS and GTT strut brace to stiffen up the chassis a bit.

It's bliss for my driving style...

Old 10-02-2008, 09:59 AM
HRCVF750
2nd Gear
Quote: I have aftermarket suspension parts (sway bar, endlinks, camber plates, and coilovers...

What year is your Cabrio and what brand parts are you using?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Quote: I have aftermarket suspension parts (sway bar, endlinks, camber plates, and coilovers...

What year is your Cabrio and what brand parts are you using?
It's a 2006 'S' cabrio, and I'm using the CROSS coilovers (with integrated camber plates), H-Sport 25.5mm hollow sway bar, and Powergrid adjustable endlinks.