Steering Upgrade system

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Steering Upgrade system

Dramatically improve handling [FONT=&quot]characteristics[/FONT] with the Precision Steering Amplifier from MINI MANIA. The PSA improves the suspension geometry by reducing roll center movement in MINIs with stock and modified suspensions. The roll center on the stock front suspension of MINI Cooper and Cooper S has large position changes when cornering. This is particularly true and evident in MINI's that have been lowered. The result is poor feedback to the driver and less than optimal handling characteristics.
The Precision Steering Amplifier was created to correct this problem and to significantly reduce roll center motion during cornering. The result is dramatically improved handling characteristics with street and competition MINIs while significantly improving feedback to the driver. The roll center movement is substantially reduced with the Precision Steering Amplifier and has been verified by real on-track testing and supported by calculations and computer simulations.
Track testing showed even temperatures across the front tires with improved turn-in response compared to 'before PSA'. Better handling AND longer lasting tires on the track!!

Last edited by Mini Mania; 10-25-2008 at 07:18 AM. Reason: My Error
Old 10-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Alan
4th Gear
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Doesn't fit under 15s, does it?

Alan

Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Any response to the added bump-steer your product induces?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this product do the same thing as the ALTA P.S.R.S.? I've been debating if the Alta PSRS would be a good upgrade for me with my driving habits and current mods. If your Mini Mania brand does the same thing, I'd probably buy it being that with a 2 year old daughter, I'm budget minded. Any inputs from people would be appreciated.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Does this product do the same thing as the ALTA P.S.R.S.? I've been debating if the Alta PSRS would be a good upgrade for me with my driving habits and current mods. If your Mini Mania brand does the same thing, I'd probably buy it being that with a 2 year old daughter, I'm budget minded. Any inputs from people would be appreciated.
No, they're very much not the same. The ALTA PSRS is a front control arm bushing replacement that is a spherical offset bushing. It not only vastly improves steering resolution over the sloppy OEM spoked soft rubber bushing but allows the installer to add caster and/or anti-dive to the front suspension setup. Adding caster allows for greater high-speed steering stability, and anti-dive reduces body pitch during throttle/braking.

The Mania control arm outer ball joint spacer raises the roll-center throughout the suspension travel, which does reduce roll-center delta. That said, the Mania spacers fail to account for the added bump steer that moving that ball joint without changing the steering tie rod pivots brings.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The Data:
The table below shows the roll center movement of the MINI for the stock position at 6" above ground and the lowered ball joint at 5.18 " above ground ( lowered by .82"). This data table was generated from a computer simulation of the MINI Cooper S suspension. A brief explanation of the table follows.
Ride is the ride height change from static height of the MINI
Roll is he body roll angle of the MINI
Steer is the steering angle input
X and Y are the horizontal and vertical position of the roll center X=0 Y=0 is at ground level at the center of the MINI
Camber L and Camber R are the camber changes for the left wheel & right wheel
The rows from the first row to the last show the dynamic changes that occur for a typical turn. With an explanation of the first 4 rows you should be able to understand how the remaining rows relate to the dynamic changes that occur for a MINI turning.
Row 1 shows the MINI in a static position
Row 2 shows braking first which causes the ride height to decrease.
Row 3 shows the beginning of the turn off the brakes, front rises a bit, the beginning of steering input and some roll
Row 4 show further into the turn, body rises and rolls a bit more with more steering input
The Table and rest of the data can be found here

Old 08-25-2010, 11:42 PM
truckboy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you're looking for a GT steering wheel, so much as the wheel that came with the "interior upgrade package." Any cooper dealer can order/install this wheel for you.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 PM
terrysil
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too