Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Code 2096 "Post CatalystFuel Trim SystemToo Lean, Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Nolyaw
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code 2096 "Post CatalystFuel Trim SystemToo Lean, Bank 1

This code is present in my MCS, and everytime I reset it it just comes back after a start or two. Anyone ever seen this or know why its doing this?

Old 05-18-2006, 04:29 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be a loose connection to the o2 sensor(s).
Have you replaced you O2 sensors yet?
How many miles on the car?

Old 05-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Nolyaw
Banned
Car has 14k on it, never have messed with the o2 sensors. It has an exhaust, 15%, air intake, ignition, done to the engine. The code trips every time I start the car.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 AM
CSIBMINI
3rd Gear
Nolyaw,
What ever happened with this problem? I am getting the same error.

Thanks,
Brad

Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 PM
ricky
2nd Gear
My 05 S has been prone for this code too. Dealer is trying to find what to do. They had the same problem with a salesmen's S. Factory fix did not fix it. I'm still patiently waiting. 91 octane all the time. Be on for 200 to 400 miles, then go out. Really random. On vacation,when we left, SES lite was on. Got some 93 octane in Missouri, light went out in West Virginia. Went all over back east with 93. I was tickled. Light stayed out for 2500 miles. Then came on, 200 miles from home. I decided to dump octane booster in at Lincoln. It went back out after 75 miles It's been staying out for a long time, adding octane booster every fill up. Holding my breath. This started at about 8,000 miles. Got 25,500 on it now. Always has run good. Rick

Old 03-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Soulsword
2nd Gear
15%?

Ricky, just wanted to ask if you have a reduction pully installed. I ask becuase I've been having the same 2096 code since car was new, however
I've also had a 15% pully on since new. The car has been in/out of dealer
for this and other codes (mostly they are lean or rich codes). So far both
air flow sensors, all fuel injectors (twice), fuel rail and fuel regulator, with
vairing results and different codes.

Now the 2096 is back and dealer is starting to balk and says I must remove
pully. I have an '05 and been fighting this for 48,000 miles and my fear is if I
do go back to stock and the SES goes on after 50,000 I think I'm screwed

Thanks for any input.

Allen

Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
jgf
2nd Gear
Your code is an intake leak. Just got through exhausting 1 mo back or forth to the dealer with same code. Finally they did some type of intake smoke test and intake leak's consisted of the following ; Pre and post supercharger leak, ingector leak and header leak. I think there was another one or 2 that escapes me presently. The code will contin. to come back until fixed as I attempted numerous times to remove it and would return next startup!

Good luck . I hope this get's you on the right path. My S is a 04 with 47,000 on it. It has header's , 15% pulley , exhaust, intake ECU update. The mod's have been in place approx. 42,000 before prob. ensued. Not correlated with mod's.
JGF

Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Soulsword
2nd Gear
Thanks JGF, if the dealer does kick the car back to me at least it gives me an
area to start lookling. AND it does give me a reason to buy a scanner.

I'll report when I get more back from my SA's boss.

Allen

Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 PM
ricky
2nd Gear
I've had this ongoing now. Just got off the phone with dealer. They know my problem with P2096. They said the factory has been leaning toward the exhaust header. It's been done to a few and no reports to the contrary yet. I hope so. Rick

Old 03-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Soulsword
2nd Gear
Ricky, the tech that's been working my car called and what I got out of it
was he still can't understand cause, but is going to load the latest software;
I'm thinking "oh great, that gives me warm n' fuzzies" And he states that the
#'s from the o2 sensors are good. I'll pass info (if I can ever get in touch) to
him or my SA. BTW, I also have the intermitant idle stumble that others have
reported AKA "the MINI flu"

I'll report again later today, Allen

Old 03-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Soulsword
2nd Gear
header; replace?

Ricky,

BTW, did you mean the exhaust header was replaced or found to be loose/need of new gasket?

Thanks

Old 03-02-2007, 03:47 PM
ricky
2nd Gear
That's what they are going to try with mine, 3-24. If it works, I'll let you know.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Soulsword
2nd Gear
Wow, that's weird. maybe small cracks where the tubes meet? or could the
flex point (i think it's on the header before the precat) could be shredding?
Anyway thanks for info and I got ahold of my SA and she said the tech has
not updated her . Last night at 4:30ish it was just a software load.x's2

Should I stop holding my breath? Hey, wait a minute!! if they don't fix it I
can pawn the idea off to the wife that I HAVE to get a cool new header to
fix my car!!!!!!!!

Thanks again. Allen

Old 03-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Soulsword
2nd Gear
Make it stop!

OK, my SA just called and said the tech said (did that just sound like a bad 80's valley [damn I'm getting old]) that the car was having trouble taking the
new software ???? once again . Now the tech wont be back till Tues to work on car again. But they did give me a nice new '07 328i as a loaner

more to follow.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:49 PM
jgf
2nd Gear
cel

As discussed prior, header is only one issue. The issue is intake leak! In my circumstance it was the gasket, not the header itself. It was also a number of other intake problem's such as leaks in the pre and post connector's to the supercharger, a leak #2 injector, and manifold. The problem is not really that difficult if the tech. uses smoke injection to find the leak. If he doesn't know what that is call Ralph Schomp Mini in Denver and I'M sure they would be kind enough to discuss this matter with your tech. My car however was down 3 time's before they finally got all the leak's sorted. Schomp made it as pleasant as possible and allowed me the use of new 06 S convertable. It was frustrating however as ea time car seemed ok, the minute I got it back on the road cel came on. The final time was the smoke test and the final leak to fix was the Header. Must say however once the 9 code was fixed a new extinguable 4 code surfaced, this code had to do with #2 o-2 sim. sensing a different lean code. ( I have intake, Ecu flash, header's and free flow exhaust). Fixed that by going to www.0-2 simulator.com and buying electronic resistor. Lean code is read by voltage >.6, rich<.4. Resistor will not allow abn. fluctuation. This setup will not deactivate codes that could cause engine failure etc. The 9 code affect's sim #1, ( that affect's Ecu regulation of air fuel mix. etc, can cause rich or lean but via the brain. That code has potential to do harm depending what type of intake leak. 4 code I am referring to is different as it is monitering the effic. of cat. Just so you know ( which I did not prior), even though warranty is up 3yrs etc, as of 1997 issues invol Cat, pollution , etc. per law are now 80,000 miles or 8 yrs. Even though I was past my warranty all was taken care of by warranty. There are some good article's on Cat's sensor's , law's eg 8 yr etc above on Mini Mania site under info and article's . If you desire they also sell the electronic sim.
My car for last 4 week's or so is back to it's old self and fun to drive with no codes. Much of my knowledge of these codes, how they work , triggor's , etc. came from local auto shop not connected with Mini, also the Mania site. It was a frustrating experience to say the least. Almost got rid of the car!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Soulsword
2nd Gear
JGF,

thanks for more input. I also should have stated in my post (#6 I think) that
they have also done the smoke test twice with no leaks reported. The posibility of intake leaks was one of the first things they went for. I'm not
saying they did them right or something wasn't missed, but MOST of what
they have told me rings true to me. And yes, I have thought about selling,
but I still do love this car. Maybe I'll let myself get the mod bug again and do
a large head, headers, and MAYBE a new m62!!!! codes be damned!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 09:06 PM
ricky
2nd Gear
Drove 333 miles to Denver with P2096 still on for a thousand miles or more. As stated above this has been an ongoing problem since 8,000 miles. Now have 30,000. Ralph Schomp MINI installed a reman exhaust manifold and new oxygen sensor. Cleared code. Got 516 miles now without SES, hoping for the best.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Soulsword
2nd Gear
Ricky, glad to hear your 2096 might be gone. Mine is still here and continues
to be with the dealer. They had done a leakdown test and found it at 20%.
they said they resurfaced the exhaust valves/seats and this fixed the leakdown but not the code. next the exhaust mainifold, cat and finally the
rear section of the exhaust. All with no change. Oh, and the also "de-modded" the supercharger with one they had left from a JCW conversion.
Next....yes, there's more, they re-re-re-re-resmoke checked the intake.
and now want to replace (again) the intake flow sensors. I tell you I've lost count on what they have done I now belive that they are just trying to "test drive" the car out of the 50,000 (it's at 48,xxx).

I'm going to talk to the service manager Friday and then MINIUSA to see what my options might be; I'm starting to think I should have kicked the car back to them 30,000 miles ago.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Soulsword
2nd Gear
rear exhaust?

OK, got my car back from dealer. After replacement of rear exhaust and rechecking intake sensors they say the #'s they have been looking at have
lowered slightly. They were looking at long term values BTW and not just the
what the current o2 readings come up at. Now I get to drive and hope.

Also of note: the rear section of my exhaust that was replaced DID have a leak on it. It was on the weld bead for the connecting flange to the cat. It
looked like it was never sealed; it had water stain (small) and little bit of soot
were the hole was. Odd thing is I had just bought an one-ball and didn't yet install, I checked it and it has a similar leak (not as bad). The weld is 4-6 inches from the o2 sensor and has a lip that I think would act like an antirevearsion valve (right term? spelling?). So does anyone think this is close enough to cause an issue? the dreaded 2096?

Old 04-14-2007, 01:53 PM
ricky
2nd Gear
I'm stiil 2096 free. "Post Cat". Having a pin hole in exhaust manifold I assume atmosphere is being drawn in by venturi effect into header, and then telling oxygen sensor you're too lean. Fresh air with exhaust gases, before sensor. Is this what happens?

Old 04-22-2007, 06:23 AM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey guys, i also have this dreaded code. it's been on for about a year already. what i still don't understand is why the code will set on the second start after clearing the code EVERY TIME. no only that, it will set immediately upon cranking the engine, BEFORE it starts. looking at the freeze data when the code sets, it sets with the engine rpm at about 200rpm! that means it is setting before the engine starts! the O2 sensor doesn't even have time to measure anything yet.

i live in NC and we have to pass inspection by hooking up to a computer and having no codes. i need to get rid of this code. anybody have luck with an O2 sensor simulator? if it makes this code go away for just 5 minutes that's long enough to pass inspection...

Old 09-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I am having the same issue with a customers car. I have not done any smoke testing or poking/probing yet, just wanted to learn more about this fault before proceeding. MINI does have a bulletin on the subject, as follows:
EMS2K FC 2096 - POST-CAT OXYGEN SENSOR LEAN MIXTURE
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): SI M12 01 06, Date of Issue: January 2006
ARTICLE BEGINNING
SUBJECT
EMS2K FC 2096 - Post-cat Oxygen Sensor Lean Mixture
MODEL
R50 W10, R53 W11 with EMS2K
SITUATION
Check Engine Light is illuminated and the DME fault code 2096 - "O2 sensor bank 1 after catalyst,
exhaust gas composition indicates lean mixture - currently present" is stored.
CORRECTION
The post-cat O2 sensor FC 2096 is only an indication of a lean mixture condition; the oxygen sensor is
not a root cause of the fault.
1. Follow the appropriate GT1/DIS test plan modules.
2. Check long-term multiplicative adaptation values (in most cases, readings are in the range of
positive 5%-7%, indicating a lean mixture problem).
3. Perform basic diagnostic of the intake and fuel delivery systems. Look for vacuum leaks in the
intake manifold, supercharger boots, by-pass valve, etc. Check fuel pressure, swap MAP/TMAP
sensors, swap injectors from a known good car and observe changes to the short-term adaptation
values. Perform appropriate repairs as needed.
4. Reset long-term adaptation values.
5. Perform post-cat O2 sensor test to verify effectiveness of the repair (the specified post-cat O2
voltage should be in the range of 500-700 mV after 5 minutes of engine idling).
6. Provide feedback via PuMA case.
MINI: R50 W10, R53 W11 with EMS2K
GROUP:Engine Electrical Systems
IMPORTANT: To clear the DME short/long term mixture adaptations:
1. From the GT1/DIS select "Function Selection", then
2. Select "Service functions", "Drive", "DME Motor Electronics", and
then "Reset adaptations".
3. Go to "Test plan" and then right arrow.

I hope this helps
--DAN
[FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial]

[/FONT]

Last edited by Grassroots Garage; 09-08-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:25 AM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, i did a lot of searching and found that bulletin also. i was hoping for an electrical glitch or a programming fault, NOT an actual lean condition, because of how the code was being set. however, it turned out that it was a perceived lean condition after all. i say "perceived" because what was happening was not that the engine was running lean, but that the #2 o2 sensor was sensing extra oxygen seeping in from a leak at the flange gasket between the midpipe and cat. i had the stock manifold/cat and a milltek system at the time and the gasket i was using, a metal gasket from a honda passport, was not sealing properly. plus, the flanges didn't even match in size. after i put the header with the racing cat on there, everything matched up and i used two graphite type gaskets on top of each other.

whats weird is i cleared the code, and it STILL came back. i had to drive it for a week, and then a miracle. the check engine light went off by itself! perhaps if i had reset the adaptives.... anyway, problem solved.

why the hell doesn't mini use 3 bolt flanges? 2 bolt flanges never seal properly. they will always warp, even just a little, and that is enough to cause problems considering how close that 2nd o2 sensor is to that flange. that's why i had to use two gaskets.

*************long unrelated story to follow**************

btw, you worked on my mini when you still worked at flow in winston salem. i was the honda tech that brought my car there for all the free warranty work... the rear caliper, the rattles, the speaker buzzing, the cruise control. when i went back there for more warranty issues, you were gone, and i got this young guy who did not seem to know nearly as much as you. i had a recall done, and they gave me my car back....with a check engine light on! WTF??!! so they tell me to bring it back the next day. (i live 2 hours away). so i do. they replace the o2 sensor and the MAP sensor and give me my car back. i pull out and go into boost and...p-pppp---pow it starts bucking and will not run in boost at all. i drive it back AGAIN. i pull in the drive and ask if they even drove it before giving it back to me. "yeah i drove it". sure... they take the car back and say that i need another MAP sensor, this one is defective, and we don't have one, come back tomorrow. at this point i have smoke coming out of my ears and ask for a loaner, which they give me. they call me the next day and say its ready. i drove back again to pick it up, they apologize, saying "bad part from factory" and i drive off. when i get home i get both ROs and compare the part numbers on the map sensors they put on there... they are different! they put a non-S MAP on there the first time, that's why it didn't know what to do about the boost! and they tried to pass it off as a parts error. what kills me is i could have had that fixed the first time if someone was intelligent enough to know which part to put on there. even worse, he didn't even test drive my car! anyway, i just thought you'd like to know what happened to flow after you left. hope your shop is doing ok, maybe i'll swing by there and have a look around sometime!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 PM
747ned
Neutral
Me 2

I got the dreaded Check Engine Soon light last fall with 53K on my MCS. An OBDII code reader showed Code 2096. I read the post here, and I unsuccessfully tried to find an intake leak, but ended up taking it back to the dealer. An unrelated problem, but I was also experiencing, for the 2nd time, a mild chirp whenever I let out the clutch in cold weather. The dealer had worked that under warranty the previous spring, and it went away when they replaced the clutch guide tube, but it reappeared with the beginning of cold weather.
Anyway, to make a long story short, the dealer went in to check out the clutch noise and found that they had improperly installed a supercharger "gasket" last spring, causing a mild intake leak. This was the definite cause of the intake leak. The dealer ended up replacing my flywheel under warranty since they did not fix it the previous visit, and they cleared the CES code at no charge. I did pay to have a new clutch installed (parts only), while they were in there, since I know even my clutch won't last forever. I came out of it pretty well, but I wish they had done the job right the first time.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Joser
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well Im gald to (not really) see that Im not the only one having trouble with the dreaded p2096 code. the odd thing I have with my code is that it will come on every time I start the engine, if I reset the light with my code reader it will not come on (as long as I have the engine running) as soon as I shut down and restart it will come back on. I think this may be related to my catalytic converter being replaced (it blew off on me about 2 weeks ago). so Im hoping (really really hoping) that the muffler shop I went to did not weld the new catalytic converter on as well as they should have. I'll post the results when I find out.

Quick Reply: Code 2096 "Post CatalystFuel Trim SystemToo Lean, Bank 1