Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Code 2096 "Post CatalystFuel Trim SystemToo Lean, Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rear O2 is sniffing more air than the ECU expects. It could be a leak anywhere in the intake or even the exhaust. For me it was in the exhaust and specifically the flange just behind the O2 was leaking on my header.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Looks like the dealership fixed the problem.

I returned the car with the recurring P2096 code. They had changed the pre-cat O2 sensor and the light came back on the very next day.

Returned the car to the dealership with some key posts I printed off this discussion thread. They first tried resetting the values on the ECU. The code came back as soon as the car restarted. They then replaced the rear O2 sensor and reset the values on the ECU again. No more code. Sweet!

Car wasn't ready at the end of the day when I returned to pick it up so MINI Ottawa East set me up with a rental. How cool is that?

The best part is that they were forecasting for a nasty storm the next day (freezing rain, ice pellets and snow) and I got a Subaru Forester on loan. Talk about serendipity.

All the work was done for $0 since the car was still on its emissions system warranty.

Had the car e-tested on Saturday morning, which had to be done to register my plates. Passed with flying colours

Last edited by Minibeagle; 04-18-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM
BG1
Neutral
clearing 2096 code

Originally Posted by Grassroots Garage
I am having the same issue with a customers car. I have not done any smoke testing or poking/probing yet, just wanted to learn more about this fault before proceeding. MINI does have a bulletin on the subject, as follows:
EMS2K FC 2096 - POST-CAT OXYGEN SENSOR LEAN MIXTURE
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): SI M12 01 06, Date of Issue: January 2006
ARTICLE BEGINNING
SUBJECT
EMS2K FC 2096 - Post-cat Oxygen Sensor Lean Mixture
MODEL
R50 W10, R53 W11 with EMS2K
SITUATION
Check Engine Light is illuminated and the DME fault code 2096 - "O2 sensor bank 1 after catalyst,
exhaust gas composition indicates lean mixture - currently present" is stored.
CORRECTION
The post-cat O2 sensor FC 2096 is only an indication of a lean mixture condition; the oxygen sensor is
not a root cause of the fault.
1. Follow the appropriate GT1/DIS test plan modules.
2. Check long-term multiplicative adaptation values (in most cases, readings are in the range of
positive 5%-7%, indicating a lean mixture problem).
3. Perform basic diagnostic of the intake and fuel delivery systems. Look for vacuum leaks in the
intake manifold, supercharger boots, by-pass valve, etc. Check fuel pressure, swap MAP/TMAP
sensors, swap injectors from a known good car and observe changes to the short-term adaptation
values. Perform appropriate repairs as needed.
4. Reset long-term adaptation values.
5. Perform post-cat O2 sensor test to verify effectiveness of the repair (the specified post-cat O2
voltage should be in the range of 500-700 mV after 5 minutes of engine idling).
6. Provide feedback via PuMA case.
MINI: R50 W10, R53 W11 with EMS2K
GROUP:Engine Electrical Systems
IMPORTANT: To clear the DME short/long term mixture adaptations:
1. From the GT1/DIS select "Function Selection", then
2. Select "Service functions", "Drive", "DME Motor Electronics", and
then "Reset adaptations".
3. Go to "Test plan" and then right arrow.

I hope this helps
--DAN
[FONT=Arial]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial]

[/FONT]
After step 3, it tells you to put ignition into position 2, Does that mean to start the car? because its already in the second position? Thanks

Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 AM
PeteP
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a way to verify that the MAF Sensor is bad?
I am getting an intake pressure reading but could it still be causing the SES?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 AM
xstartxtodayx
3rd Gear
My 06 MCS now has this dreaded P2096 code and has had it for about 2 weeks. It started one day after I added some Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner to the tank before filling up (with 93 octane like usual from either Shell or Sunoco, I only use name brands and usually avoid Mobil since they always seem to price gouge like crazy, most of the time I run Hess since they're the most convenient). So anyways, I filled up during lunch while at work and the code came later on during my drive home. I had the AC cranking and a little while before noticing the Service Engine Soon light I had quickly accelerated to merge on to a hwy in 2nd gear, I had it around 6k and then had to quickly let off the gas and brake due to morons ahead not knowing how to drive (uggh). The light came on maybe 5 mins later while driving on the hwy. Driving wise nothing seems too off but in low rpm's, like when I'm just smoothly and easily accelerating from a stop, it seems that I don't have as much power as usual unless I stomp the gas to get some boost. Also, if I just rev the engine while idling I hear a slight hesitation at first from the intake (I have an Alta intake, everything else is stock but a one ball modded exhaust), it almost sounds like a quick gasp for air before revving, I don't remember if this happened before the light or not. So yea, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears, I've read and read about it but nothing seems very definitive and I'd love to avoid throwing mounds of cash at the issue if I can (since I don't have cash to do that with). Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM
PeteP
1st Gear
P 2096

I got rid of my P 2096 code by replacing the MAP sensor.
Before replacing it I tried a vacuum leak check to rule that out and did meter test of the old MAP. This test showed the MAP as bad.
This is when I got a new MAP from Pelicanparts.com.

The light has been off for weeks now.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 AM
CARdiac
5th Gear
My 2005 threw the code when I had a tiny crack in the exhaust where it splits to the two jcw exhaust cans. I had it welded and it went away. My wife threw the code and everything looked fine with her exhaust. She had the same crack but it was fixed by MINI under warranty years ago. Recently she threw the code but everything looked fine. I did notice that instead of replacing the entire exhaust years ago they clamped on the rear section so there was a joint just before the y. I did not want to try replacing the cat or O2 sensors before giving the exhaust a good once over. When I removed the clamp I noticed a very small area of white, clearly from the exhaust gasses. I know there is a lot of flex in the exhaust with the y being a failure point so I was not surprised to see that either the dealer did a half @ss job or it loosened up in 3 years (tho the bolt on the clamp was grime free and easy to hand loosen). I sanded the connection spots and reclamped this time giving it a good tightening. I did not get a chance to clear the code or the adaptive memory, but after a few days of the wifey driving the light went out and has stayed off for a while.

I am still baffled that a small hole or crack that far away from the sensor can let in enough air to throw the code, especially if the engine is sending pressurized gas down the tube.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM
laundryeater
Neutral
My MCS had the 2096 code and I did an inspection- noticed the clamp to the air box was missing (most likely from previous owner) so I bought a new hose clamp and after some driving the check engine light turned back off.

To check your O2 sensors you can swap them. If you are throwing a P2096 for a bad O2 then after the swap you should expect some poor engine performance and a different fault code.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 PM
ageofoctane
2nd Gear
My car had the 2096 for a few months. It came and went, then came back and stayed. I made a smoke machine and found no leaks in the intake or exhaust. I then followed the last part of the Technical Service Bulletin already posted in this thread and hooked up my lap top to the OBDII and used DIS/GT1 to reset the adaptations, cleared the fault history a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't come back since. All systems show as "ready" in INPA. That $35 cable and software package from the flea bay has proven a very worthwhile investment.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:45 AM
C-Lop
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TypeS619
MODs: 440cc injectors, 17% pully, Race Header, Invidia cat back K&N CAI

Ok so after having this 2096 CODE on for about 6 months or so, it was time to go up for SMOG! yes Cali laws i know..... so I'm throwing P2096 and P0130 so what do i do? i read up on NAM and find this section. I've DONE tons and TONs of reading and when i mean tons im actually talking about roughly 35 hrs of doing research and reading. So i did everything that i can. Lucky for me i had worked a Porsche dealer and was able to use a lot of the Equip that they had at the dealer. I Smoked the intake and the Exhaust and that was a Fail.... NO LEAKS.... i replaced both O2's and that got rid of the P0130 Code. i replaced my Race header and replaced it with the OEM one at the same time i did my O2 sensors. no go. i replaced the Exhaust manifold gasket and Nope i had NO LEAKS but light still on...... i did my Fuel filter and that was a no go either... light still on. check for any lose hoses for Vac leaks and nope..... so i replaced my 440cc's with the OEM injectors and my car RAN even worse. i reset the DME and reset everything and let the car sit for 1Hr..... NOPE CEL was off for maybe 3 min. i double checked my BBV and that was working properly checked the Tube and all everything was on and no leaks and working properly..... but the car was RUNNING LEAN i mean REAL lean... -8.7 at running speed and -12.75 at idol. i checked may Map sensor and cleaned it and the car ran slightly smoother and held a Steady 15-16mgh i did notice that my PCV was sticking at times and i replaced that... but problem code would still come back.... so the last thing i did was replaced the FPR.... and WAaLA!!! Car is running Smoother than ever and iod's real smooth and even better..... i reset the adaptions and let the car sit one last time and what do you know... CODE never came back... SOOO far... but i did not replace it with a OEM FPR.... the OEM FPR was pushing 3.5bar.. and for some reasson i was running lean.... i replaced it with a 4.0bar FPR from from a 2003 GTI 1.8T just to be on the safe side to run more fuel....and so far.... CAR is runnin like a CHAMP

I jusat replaced my fpr with the GTI also, code cleared instantly, I also had a smashed o-ring on an injector. I went with the GTI part for two reasons, I am pushing my limits as far as mods go and the Mini part was out of stock. GTI FPR ended up being half the price also.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Hate to bring this thread up. But im a victim and i dont know what to do next. I welded my entire exhaust together lol. I have the obx racing header with magnaflow 3" cat and the second sensor has an extension. I get the 2096 code every 320 miles after i use my laptop to clear the adaptations. No other codes are present. Should i go to autozone and stick the gti fpr in next? Any suggestions? Also how do i check to make sure both of my map sensors are 100% working order. And how can i test my fuel pressure? Does a scan tool tell you or it needs to be mechanical tester.

Last edited by Kr4nG; 12-15-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:06 PM
MiniManTim
2nd Gear
The fix for me was adding JCW injectors and having the dealership put the JCW tune on my ECU and resetting my adaptations. No problem here so far!

Old 03-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
i have the blue injectors (jcw) but i dont know if the previous owner put the tune on from the dealer. how much did the dealer charge to put the tune on. do you have header and exhaust or all stock exhaust sytem.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:17 PM
MiniManTim
2nd Gear
They charged me for an hour and a half of labor. I have a CAI but stock exhaust. Just told them I upgraded my injectors and they knew what I wanted. I tried everything except for a new exhaust manifold. The tune saved me $500-700 if it holds up.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:21 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
but you had stock exhaust and still had this 2096 code? i started to think because of my aftermarket exhaust this code was appearing. Did you do anything with your o2 sensor btw?

Old 03-03-2015, 04:35 PM
MiniManTim
2nd Gear
Yes I have the stock exhaust.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
sorry to be a pain but did you get the code with the jcw injectors or with the original injectors. Can you recall if you triggered the code by doing any mods at that point of code appearing? Or was it random one day that the code popped up.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:48 PM
MiniManTim
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kr4nG
sorry to be a pain but did you get the code with the jcw injectors or with the original injectors. Can you recall if you triggered the code by doing any mods at that point of code appearing? Or was it random one day that the code popped up.
I bought the car used with the code after seeing it was such a common issue. I did the smoke test and changed the O2 sensor to no avail. Just waited it out and was going to try the FPR as I had read on this thread. When I went to remove the fuel rail I broke 2 injectors so decided just to upgrade and get the tune while I was in there. I am fairly new to the Mini scene and like to DIY so I'm learning as I go. It hasn't been cheap but the car sure is fun!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
im gonna try to test my fuel pressure and if its low ill change my regulator. Thanks for the input much appreciated.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:44 AM
Marlow Main
6th Gear
The dreaded 2096 error code has struck my 2006 MSC, (A Garage Baby with just under 36,000 miles). It came on a week ago and the smoke test showed no leaks. Thanks to all the information listed in this post, I am a little more informed and l can request specific items be checked, like the 02 sensor, instead of just trying to let the dealer run a bunch of tests, and throwing a lot of money at the various things that may not work.
I love being part of the MINI community.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:40 AM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
FIXED Thats right i fixed my code. So i have aftermarket header and mill tech exhaust. I also make a custom 3 inch pipe. So my second o2 sensor wont fit so i had to use an angle adapter to put the sensor in. Since i have a catalytic converter the ecu reads lean because of the angle adapter on the second o2.

So the fix is to remove the angle adapter and make the sensor fit by cutting a hole in the head shield. Problem solved. has been 500 miles no code.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Carl334
Neutral
Is this a P2096 fix?

Took my 2002 MINI base model to BMW dealer with code P2096 They did various tests including smoke tests. The tech said smoke was

coming from this hose (exhaust gas recirculating system through valve cover) because it was loose (not detached) he put a clamp on it. The

other end of this hose exits in the air cleaner. Photo attached. Tried to post previous pic couldn't here is link:https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...p2096-fix.html
Does this make any sense as a fix? The other end is open free to the air box!

They told me they could not reset the adaptations (clear code) because they were not a MINI dealer and do not have the software necessary.

Cost me $125 + 3 hours of my time.

Did I get taken twice?

Dealer: Reliable BMW, Springfield, MO

Attached Thumbnails Code 2096 "Post CatalystFuel Trim SystemToo Lean, Bank 1-0404151211.jpg  

Last edited by Carl334; 04-04-2015 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 04-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
You need to reset adaptations without a doubt. I reset mine by going on ebay and buying the gt1 software for 30 bucks. Make sure you dont have any exhaust leaks between your first and second sensor. Also check intake vacuum leaks. Around the plastic tube after the throttle body and the two lines that attach to it. I put rtv gasket sealer around every area i could on the intake side of the engine. This included the throttle body, stronger clamps on the bypass valve. and so on.

Is your entire exhaust system stock?

Old 04-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Carl334
Neutral
No my cat is aftermarket and I replaced the rear O2.
Thanks for your reply, will check those items out.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:28 AM
knbond1
1st Gear
I'm going to bring this thread back as my 06' r53 has this dreaded code at the worst time when i'm trying to sell the car now. So I've read through this entire thread as well as some related ones and here are some things that i did to diagnose and remedy the code to no solution:
-rebuilt intake system by installing new gaskets (including the green gasket) and bypass hose
-pressure tested the plastic intake tube that goes to the inlet on supercharger as i know those can be a cause of cracks
-checked all the little vacuum hoses and replaced some to rule out any leaks there that may cause a code
-replaced both 02 sensors
-pressure tested the exhaust manifold and exhaust system for leaks
-replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and mid pipe gasket

So that's what i've done so far but still have the code. I don't know how big of a deal this is, but thought i would mention that the car has always lived on 93 octane fuel and my wife and I have recently moved to Utah where the fuel is only 91 octane. Now on the long drive from texas to utah midway through the trip is when the light came on, and every state since texas the car has only received 91. So I don't know if that is the culprit just wanted to add that and maybe one of y'all can suggest something that I have left out. thx

Quick Reply: Code 2096 "Post CatalystFuel Trim SystemToo Lean, Bank 1