Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Code 2096 "Post CatalystFuel Trim SystemToo Lean, Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:58 AM
kbar-04
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same story here. 2096 for the last year off and on. I have had replaced: CAT, 02 sensors, MAFF sensor, all filters etc. Yes I got the lecture on gas, I only run premium Conoco in it so thats not it. Last week took it back and they wiped the car's computer clean and downloaded new programming, That was on Monday, and this morning the light came back on, same code. I love the car and other than this, no mechanical problems at all. My wife is ready to sell the thing though as it appears nobody can solve this problem...

Old 04-01-2010, 10:04 AM
10AOUS
Neutral
I replaced the MAP sensor & had the dealership clear the adaptions & its been gone every since & hope it stays gone.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:00 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any one tried on of these guys

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

Last edited by dhabutcher; 04-21-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: link failed but fixed
Old 04-21-2010, 05:38 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Should i post

Well i have had the 2096 alot, but once i do things to fix the 2096, i get a 0130,
In the past i have smoke machined the car, replaced profile gasket that leaked, a loose hose on the bypass valve, both MAP sensors

i have done tons of reading even bought the bently manuals,

I have a scanner now that will reset the adapts and i can view live data and graph the 02 Senors,

I can clear the codes clear adapts, drive that car and watch, and data log and replay the data, and see when code set

The Code will set but not turn on check engine lamp, The data said "Pending code" and will turn on lamp once igniton is turned off then back on,

Almost ever time the code sets it is when the engine in in decell, totally off the gas, the ecm shuts off fuel going totaly lean the 02 data shows it totally lean, then once the gas is touched the 02 data comes back,

I am thinking it is a programing issue still,

I have a head in the works and pulling engine for a rebuild , i will custom tune after that

Old 06-25-2010, 05:31 PM
TypeS619
1st Gear
MODs: 440cc injectors, 17% pully, Race Header, Invidia cat back K&N CAI

Ok so after having this 2096 CODE on for about 6 months or so, it was time to go up for SMOG! yes Cali laws i know..... so I'm throwing P2096 and P0130 so what do i do? i read up on NAM and find this section. I've DONE tons and TONs of reading and when i mean tons im actually talking about roughly 35 hrs of doing research and reading. So i did everything that i can. Lucky for me i had worked a Porsche dealer and was able to use a lot of the Equip that they had at the dealer. I Smoked the intake and the Exhaust and that was a Fail.... NO LEAKS.... i replaced both O2's and that got rid of the P0130 Code. i replaced my Race header and replaced it with the OEM one at the same time i did my O2 sensors. no go. i replaced the Exhaust manifold gasket and Nope i had NO LEAKS but light still on...... i did my Fuel filter and that was a no go either... light still on. check for any lose hoses for Vac leaks and nope..... so i replaced my 440cc's with the OEM injectors and my car RAN even worse. i reset the DME and reset everything and let the car sit for 1Hr..... NOPE CEL was off for maybe 3 min. i double checked my BBV and that was working properly checked the Tube and all everything was on and no leaks and working properly..... but the car was RUNNING LEAN i mean REAL lean... -8.7 at running speed and -12.75 at idol. i checked may Map sensor and cleaned it and the car ran slightly smoother and held a Steady 15-16mgh i did notice that my PCV was sticking at times and i replaced that... but problem code would still come back.... so the last thing i did was replaced the FPR.... and WAaLA!!! Car is running Smoother than ever and iod's real smooth and even better..... i reset the adaptions and let the car sit one last time and what do you know... CODE never came back... SOOO far... but i did not replace it with a OEM FPR.... the OEM FPR was pushing 3.5bar.. and for some reasson i was running lean.... i replaced it with a 4.0bar FPR from from a 2003 GTI 1.8T just to be on the safe side to run more fuel....and so far.... CAR is runnin like a CHAMP

Old 06-25-2010, 05:42 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Good show !

When I replaced my FPR, it was the only one available in the USA. It was in a box, which looked ancient and had three different MINI dealer markings/stamps on it. So it made it's rounds before it ended up in my car.....and with that, felt it was a much overlooked part, as well as the two rubber O-rings in the kit.

A+ for your efforts ! Good luck at the inspection.

Check your plugs after a few tanks of gas and double check their colors

Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have this damn conde now too. I will be checking all that was listed above. thanks for teh tip on the FPR. I am replacing the fuel filter this weekend. I have replaced, exhaust manifold gaskets, welded my header back together, replaced my exhaust, new plugs wires and coil. new oil and fuel filter, new air filter. But I have not yet taken apart the intake to replace the supercharger gaskets. I have a new supercharger that will be going on and will also be chacing some oil leaks. I have lots of work to do. licky I have a year before smog.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:08 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Going to give the FPR a try,

Here is alink to Autozones web site GP Sorensen 800-272 $50.99

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jktdpZ8vd1h

Old 06-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I had success using BMW part number K510201 for this, here is a link to it:

http://tinyurl.com/2urt578

Last edited by Some Guy; 06-30-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
FYI - A friend of mine and I were at a dealer today as he had a P2096 code on his 05 MCS at 80K miles. Had been that way for 3-4 months but was now getting close to state inspection time.

On a previous day to fix this, he had swapped the O2 sensor with new one temporarily, but the code still would not clear.....Today the dealer changed the O2 sensor for free, and then did a hard reset of his ECU and cleared all stored codes....

So far so good, code has not returned........that did the trick. Could be a software issue. Will see if it comes back like it did with Kbar-04

Old 06-30-2010, 07:10 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Well no luck tonight,

I picked up a FPR from checker for a 2003 gti 1.8t Got my rail off, this regulator is not even close to fitting, Hope checker messed up But i dont think so, the item i got looks like Exact part in the auto zone link i pasted,

I had no lucking in finding the BMW part number K510201 that SOME GUY listed.

Any Ideas?

Last edited by dhabutcher; 06-30-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
I made that up, if you follow the linlk you will see that I was posting about electric tape, the "in joke" that the community has when is comes to the CEL. You basically take that and cover your CEL.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:19 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Ah nice, i did not click the link, i am lucky to view the fourm at work so i dont open to many links

Old 06-30-2010, 11:10 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Here is the differnce between the Borgwarner and factory mini ( black )

GetAttachment.jpg?t=1277964446

Old 07-03-2010, 05:59 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
As long as it fits into the bell housing and does not leak it should be fine. Is the diameter of BW in the area of the O rings the same as the OEM ?

Make Double shure the retaining clip is in properly before re-installing the rail. FPR has to have flat even pressure into the bell housing for proper seal.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:01 AM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
The first thing i noticed was the end of the cooper regulator had a cap on it with a fine mesh filter cliped on to end, Looking at the rail this would be the feed side, the area below the filter with the small o ring, the Dia of the Coop regulator in larger than the VW part, the o ring on the VW is about size of coop regulator pipe, i would not think this would seal, The VW reglator has a disc, plastic with 4 windows with the fine mesh filter about dia of a Quarter, with a hole in it so it can go around the pipe,

I looked at a paper borg warner book at checker auto parts the BW number also fits some GM cars, so looking at a few GM cars the feed on the large side of regulator, So putting in a mini it would be flowing backwards, not sure this would be a issue. i almost hunted for a fatter o ring, But did not have time to experiment
Maybe a weekend projectGetAttachment1.jpg?t=1278230480

Last edited by dhabutcher; 07-04-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: photo link failed
Old 11-29-2010, 08:45 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
What kind of fuel rail pressures were you guys reading that indicated a bad FPR? i would think the pressure must be low, and as long as the pressure was good a new FPR would not be indicated.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
My fuel pressure had always been with in spec, i have a digital fuel psi gauge i can run into car, I only wanted to change the FPR in hopes of gaining a few psi, the VW one was claimed to do this but did not fit in the rail,

I have a snap on scanner, i can rest all the adpations, and drive the car, NO CODES, my work in 500 yards from freeway, 15 mile drive home NO CODES, But once i have a engine braking decel, ECM does it full cut off Then it throws the code,

I can watch the the fuel trims, perfect, no codes until a sharp decel, i can watch throttle position, once i lift all the way off, fuel trims go lean, Scanner flashes DTC set,
If i could hack into the ECM and remove this fuel cut off, i think it would be perfect

Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
livewellandfree
Neutral
Three days after cleaning the manifold air pressure sensor the light went out and has stayed out for two weeks. Last year I took it to a BMW tuner (no Mini tuners in the Bluegrass, that I have found) and the only thing he did was replace the O2 sensors with no effect. With 145k, the code has been on more than not.

I wish I had tried this three years ago. If it comes back on, I'll post.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:31 PM
vettepilot77
1st Gear
fixed it

I Reset engine adaptations with Bavarian technic software. code gone, passed CA emissions tests. It is a software glitch in the car computer. I want to sell my B.T. software now if you want it. three cars can use it as it records your VIN when you use it. $300 is the cost, I will sell mine for $200 which has two more car VIN use left in it. PM me if you are interested. This is the cheapest way to do it.
--SOLD!---

Last edited by vettepilot77; 05-11-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Sold!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
ben-w
Neutral
Originally Posted by istara
I installed this to get rid of a PO420 (from running a racing cat) and ended up with the 2096 instead. I'm assuming because of the circuit my numbers are fine, and clearing it using the above mentioned tool will get rid of it for good. Any thoughts?

Hopefully when I get the time to drive the car to Cali for a tune it can be reset for me. Would be amazing to have no more dash lights. It's the only one left out of 5 that I've been disappearing over the last 6 months or so.
I had this exact situation happen to me. Not sure why the post cat simulator causes this code to be thrown, did you end up finding a solution to the problem?
Thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Well, I failed CT emissions because of this. Dealer diagnosed it as leaky IC boots a while back. Now I guess I am getting to fixing it... Still need a way to reset the adaptations...

Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 AM
JAMES CRACKCORN
Neutral
p2096 code

I read all there was here and decided to take a chance. I installed two generic Bosch o2 sensors to try and remedy my P2096 code. After about 75 miles code cleared on it's own. I used the 15730 Bosch sensors to save a hundred bucks (or more) each. No problems so far.
Update:Then a few days later started throwing code for pre-cat o2 sensor. Swapped it out for an NTK "oem". All seems well for now. I left the generic post-cat Bosch in place. I have read that the forward sensor is the most critical to have the "oem"? We'll see.

Last edited by JAMES CRACKCORN; 10-03-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: update
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
And let the saga begin for me.

Have had the p2096 code on the JCW for a while now, but it wasn't affecting performance, so I let sleeping dogs lie.

I have moved to southern Ontario, Canada, where vehicle e-checks are mandatory. My car has to pass for me to register my car and get Ontario plates.

Brought the JCW to the local MINI dealership. Told them about the problem. They swap out the rear o2 sensor (warranty work). Next day, code pops up again... of course. Sigh.

Booked anothe service appointment at the dealership. I might tell them to keep it until they can really fix it and ask for a loaner until they do

Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Ding-ding-ding! ROUND TWO!

The JCW is back at MINI Ottawa East to get the P2096 code looked at again. I printed a bunch of stuff off the NAM threads dealing with the subject. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Hope they can figure it out this time <fiingers crossed>

Quick Reply: Code 2096 "Post CatalystFuel Trim SystemToo Lean, Bank 1