Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Code 2096 "Post CatalystFuel Trim SystemToo Lean, Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Joser
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok newest update, I went back and changed my Cayalytic converter to a more stock one. problem solved. it did take a while for the SES light to go out. I think that was because the sensors had to go through a full "duty" cycle in order to extinguish the light. I hope this helped

The following users liked this post:
MINI_42 (11-20-2022)
Old 03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Hardcore Pacer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive got an 03 that has the 2096 and 0456 codes. I bought an extended warranty from my dealer and now the warranty company who has never payed out 1 cent is telling me, because there is a tsb that they will not cover the repair. What good is an extended warrany that wont fix your car I am going to ask for my money back from the dealer as that is theft in my eyes.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardcore Pacer
Ive got an 03 that has the 2096 and 0456 codes. I bought an extended warranty from my dealer and now the warranty company who has never payed out 1 cent is telling me, because there is a tsb that they will not cover the repair. What good is an extended warrany that wont fix your car I am going to ask for my money back from the dealer as that is theft in my eyes.
that is 100%B.S. a technical service bulletin is put out when a problem occurs often enough that it is researched and a repair procedure is provided to the dealers by the tech line dept. it does NOT mean that the repair is covered under factory warranty, like it would if it was a recall. the difference between a recall and a TSB is that a recall *must* be done by the dealer even out of warranty due to a safety issue if the repair is not done, but a TSB is basically just information for the techs to use to help diagnose and repair a problem. i think your crappy warranty company is confusing the two. tell them you know the difference and if they do not honor the contract, get a lawyer.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Hardcore Pacer
Neutral
I did explain the difference to them at the time of the original conversation but they said "if the manufacturer has a identified a problem and a solution that means there is a problem with the design and they are not on the hook for the repair". They also went on to say that all of the after market warranties are the same.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
that is also not true. we deal with several aftermarket warranty companies at our shop, the only difference between them is how much labor they pay for the repair and how much the customer has to pay, usually around $50 to $100 dollars of the repair, then the warranty pays the rest. these guys are full of it. get a copy of the contract you signed, or just get your money back. that is ridiculous.

some warranties will not cover certain things, BUT that coverage does not change based on whether or not there is a service bulletin on it.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Hardcore Pacer
Neutral
I have had a few discussions with my dealer today and they want me to make the 2.5 hr trip to bring the car in they did not guarantee the warranty would cover it but said they were %95 sure they would but I will be getting the go ahead from the warranty comp before any work starts.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:30 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay i have fixed code P2096 and P2097 a couple of times and its usually a DME adaptation issue so heres what you need to do.

1: Take the car to authorized dealer.
2: Have them "Short Test" the vehicle.(Check codes)
3: The DME will have code P2096 stored on the system.
4: Have them clear the code.
5: Reset the Adaptations thru the Service Functions
6: Once the adaptations are fix, they need to "Quick Delete" the codes before disconnecting the scan tool.
7: Now turn off car and disconnect the battery and let the car sit for 1/2 after you have touched both positive and negative leads for 1 min. to "REset the Battery".
8: After the 1/2 hour, reconnect the battery and connect car back to the scan tool. and redo steps 5 and 6.

That should take care of the fault if its a software issue(not a mechanical issue) and it can only be done with BMW equipment only, sorry.

I have fixed many cars this way and have yet to get a comeback9knock on wood). Good Luck!

Old 06-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Schmagagled
1st Gear
Wow. So many people with the exact same problem.

About a month ago my 05 MCS with 73k (exactly 73k at the time) threw the SES light on. I dug out my autoxray scanner and got the P2096. I read somewhere else that it might be the after-cat o2 sensor so I bought a new Bosch 13878 from NAPA ($165) and installed that.

Light still on. My car is bone stock. No mods at all (yet). It's my daily driver (100+ miles round trip everyday). So after reading what everyone has to say I'm guessing I need to make the "pilgrimage" to Nashville in the near future to see what they can come up with. But I am somewhat relieved that it's nothing really serious. Car runs and drives fine. It's just annoying though.

To all who have contributed info here. Thanks a bunch!

S.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:46 PM
techtipz
2nd Gear
The only way to get your 2096 to stay off for about 1-3k miles is to be able to reset your adaptation values, which you need the dealer to do. Your $99.99 scanner will not due

Old 06-16-2008, 09:30 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Schmagagled
Wow. So many people with the exact same problem.

About a month ago my 05 MCS with 73k (exactly 73k at the time) threw the SES light on. I dug out my autoxray scanner and got the P2096. I read somewhere else that it might be the after-cat o2 sensor so I bought a new Bosch 13878 from NAPA ($165) and installed that.

Light still on. My car is bone stock. No mods at all (yet). It's my daily driver (100+ miles round trip everyday). So after reading what everyone has to say I'm guessing I need to make the "pilgrimage" to Nashville in the near future to see what they can come up with. But I am somewhat relieved that it's nothing really serious. Car runs and drives fine. It's just annoying though.

To all who have contributed info here. Thanks a bunch!

S.
Originally Posted by techtipz
The only way to get your 2096 to stay off for about 1-3k miles is to be able to reset your adaptation values, which you need the dealer to do. Your $99.99 scanner will not due
if you fix the problem the light will go off after about a week or so of driving, after the fuel trim adapts. some of us live far away from the dealer (and do not feel like blowing $100.00 at a dealer).

Old 06-21-2008, 12:28 PM
techtipz
2nd Gear
Well no one really wants to spend the money but thats the only thing that I know of that will clear the fault and keep it away. Not always for good but sometimes it will.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
it depends if there actually is a problem or if it is a software glitch. in my case, i had a leaky exhaust gasket where the cat meets the b-pipe (cat back system). this was letting in some air at times and the extra oxygen was throwing off the 2ndary O2 sensor, making it think there was a lean condition, which tripped the light. when i fixed this gasket, i cleared the code, but it came back right away. after a week of driving it finally went off.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Hardcore Pacer
Neutral
I had a crck in the pipe beside the downstream 02 sensor that was the cause of my 2096. So essentially it was an exhaust leak. Tokk 12 days of driving but light went out and has stayed out.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:13 AM
sonichris
3rd Gear
i wouldn't be surprised if many instances of this code were caused by an exhaust leak near the 2ndary sensor. the 2 bolt flange mini uses is very prone to leaking as it is easily warped, especially after installing catback systems and a little zealous over tightening. i had to file mine flat. 2 bolt flanges have a tendency to bend in at the bolt holes and pull apart in the middle.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Schmagagled
1st Gear
UPDATE- The light went out!

'05 MCS 75K

After staying on for over 2k the light went out last week. I had to fix a "star" in my wife's truck windshield so while in the auto parts place for the windshield repair kit I picked up two bottles of Techron (one for her and one for me). I used to use Techron all the time years ago.

I've been running WalMart 93 octane here in Huntsville (also Sam's) because it was 15-20 cents cheaper than other places. It does supposedly have "up to 10% ethanol" according to the label on the pump. I don't know how ethanol affects Minis, but haven't heard anything to suggest that it's bad for the car.

Anyway, I put in the bottle of Techron and filled up. I didn't think much about it until about three days later when the computer said I had about 120 miles range left I noticed that the light had gone out! I have since filled up again and am halfway through that tank (I do about 500 miles a week) and the light hasn't come back on. I plan on putting in another bottle of Techron from time to time to help keep things cleaned up.

This seems too simple a fix, but maybe that's all this was about (in my case). Maybe just clogged injectors causing the too lean condition? While I agree that a too lean condition can also be caused by a leak...leaks don't fix themselves. One bottle of Techron and the light has gone out, and stayed off.

Anyway, it might be a suggestion the next time somebody gets a P2096 code before they bring it in to the dealer (mine is 100 miles away).

S.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
rhubbard
4th Gear
I just got this code too. Before today I had the light because I didn't have a cat, but I got it put back on today and cleared the code but it came back on the next startup. I'll probably look into it tomorrow and see what's up.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 AM
rhubbard
4th Gear
So when I clear this code, it stays off for the entire period that the car is running, but once I turn the car off and back on, it comes right back.

I'm trying to sell this, so does anyone have any suggestions? It can't be bad gas because I've filled up twice since it came on and there aren't any actual problems as far as how the car runs.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:43 AM
MotorManiac
1st Gear
Originally Posted by joey1320
Okay i have fixed code P2096 and P2097 a couple of times and its usually a DME adaptation issue so heres what you need to do.

1: Take the car to authorized dealer.
2: Have them "Short Test" the vehicle.(Check codes)
3: The DME will have code P2096 stored on the system.
4: Have them clear the code.
5: Reset the Adaptations thru the Service Functions
6: Once the adaptations are fix, they need to "Quick Delete" the codes before disconnecting the scan tool.
7: Now turn off car and disconnect the battery and let the car sit for 1/2 after you have touched both positive and negative leads for 1 min. to "REset the Battery".
8: After the 1/2 hour, reconnect the battery and connect car back to the scan tool. and redo steps 5 and 6.

That should take care of the fault if its a software issue(not a mechanical issue) and it can only be done with BMW equipment only, sorry.

I have fixed many cars this way and have yet to get a comeback9knock on wood). Good Luck!
Rhub... did you try this?

Old 07-12-2008, 11:30 AM
rhubbard
4th Gear
I haven't because I would prefer to not have to spend the $70/hour at the dealer to have it done.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:30 PM
MotorManiac
1st Gear
Especially since you will have to pay for 1/2 hour for the car to just sit there...

Old 07-12-2008, 02:32 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
that procedure resets the adaptives. it will make the code stay away unless you still have a problem, then it will come back on in time. if you had a leak at the rear of the cat and it is now fixed, the light will go off by itself after a week or so of driving. so you can either pay and get it to go off now or drive it a while and see what happens, your choice.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:09 PM
rhubbard
4th Gear
I pulled my intercooler off to see if anything was disconnected or leaking and everything there looked fine. Thinking about doing the fuel filter, but at 39,000 miles I seriously doubt that's the problem.

I think I'll run some injector cleaner in my next tank too, but I don't have high hopes.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:43 AM
rhubbard
4th Gear
Welded up some holes in the exhaust. There were 2 pinhole leaks, one right by the second O2 sensor and one on the other side of the cat. There was also a small small leak at the flange before the cat. Got a new gasket and hopefully this solves it since there is a guy that is very interested in my car right now.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:37 AM
livewellandfree
Neutral
I used some techron and the light went off a week later, only to come back on a week after that; a second bottle did not help. (Would be too easy!) Had my local mechanic (dealer is 130 miles away) do a smoke test and could not find a leak. I'm temped to just replace the rear O2 sensor and cross my fingers.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:28 AM
rhubbard
4th Gear
I'd think 02 sensor too, but mine only has 40k on it and I'm pretty sure the 2096 code I have was different then the one I had when I had no catalytic converter.

Quick Reply: Code 2096 "Post CatalystFuel Trim SystemToo Lean, Bank 1