Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rough idle and now SES and DSC light :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:48 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And make sure they put all your mods back on correctly.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I spoke with my SA today. He said that they are going to replace my head gasket under warranty. THANK GOD! Reason being is my car wasn't pushing to much boost. According to their boost gauge it was pushing 16psi. Also they said it will take longer due to things on my car like the Oil Catch can.
Whatever you do, make sure those morons behind the counter put all your parts back on the car when they are finished changing the head gasket!!

I had electrical work done and they completely removed my LCD TV setup from my MC, i had probably 4-5 hours install time on the whole deal, and they just botched it all back together so my stuff wasnt in there anymore....

Old 12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
And make sure they put all your mods back on correctly.
damn, beat me to it, lol

Old 12-12-2005, 04:52 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
You all read my mind

Old 12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I spoke with my SA today. He said that they are going to replace my head gasket under warranty. THANK GOD! Reason being is my car wasn't pushing to much boost.
Did they offer a reason as to WHY it had this problem?
Is it a factory defect or did something actually cause it?

I'd ask them what they thought 'cause I be concerned about the next gasket without a reason

Old 12-13-2005, 03:48 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by chows4us
Did they offer a reason as to WHY it had this problem?
Is it a factory defect or did something actually cause it?

I'd ask them what they thought 'cause I be concerned about the next gasket without a reason
I am curious too. Since they told me 16psi which is on par with a 15% pulley. When I spoke with my SA he had the tone in his voice of "You loucky SOB!". So I might be good and keep my foot out of it. But I do intend to inquire about this.

I do worry about the oil now. He said they changed the oil and then put on a boost gauge and drove it around to measure its boost. So wouldn't that then put more coolant back into the oil??

Old 12-13-2005, 05:14 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
yerp

Old 12-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would not worry too much about having much coolant in the new oil. If they drove the car around for only a short distance, most likely not much would have gotten into the oil. Most of the water ends up in the cylinders (hence the misfiring) and is expelled through the exhaust as steam. It's the remaining trickle after the engine is off finding it's way past the rings that gets into the oil in a lot of head gasket cases. If there is a small amount of coolant left in the oil, it will evaporate once the engine is warm.

The proper way to deal with the oil issue when you have a blown head gasket is to drain the coolant, r&r the head, reassemble the engine fully THEN change the oil. This clears the crankcase of any dirty oil, debris from the repair, and contaminants.

Hope yer on the road soon!

Old 12-13-2005, 11:49 AM
british kompressor
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold Weather...

you cant blame it on the cold weather... it was -5F (-20C) here this morning and my 05 MCS ran great. it started right away and was a blast to drive

there is no such thing as IC heat soak in these temperatures... it just pulls like crazy.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:37 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Sorry to hear about the problem (wonder how/why it happened?) but its great that they are covering it under warranty. With the climate of the BMW/MINI dealers around re; warranty work here I have doubts that we'd be in the same boat.

Good luck with the re-install of the aftermarket stuff, you should check that over carefully afterwards. I ran into issues with that with BMW and they told me that they had no obligation to as much as touch non-stock parts much less re-install them (this was after they did not reinstall a sway bar correctly and refused to make it right - I discovered this by the noise it was making after picking the car up). After that they would not do warranty work that required touching it and I went Dinan after that and took the car to a BMW/Dinan dealer instead.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:58 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Yah guys thanks for the comments. I am wondering why this happened . I am told today it could be Friday to get it done if things go well. So we'll see.

Old 12-17-2005, 10:28 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Tate MINI has had my baby for a little over a week now and since I was bored and worried I stopped by. I really wanted to see the little piece of crap which started this mess.
Well here it is. Will my SA pointed out to me where it failed. It was in several spots. Mostly where you see very dark black (as I understand it)

And here are a few other shots of the car in pieces:

Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Coopersport.com
Former Vendor
Any update? My SA reported that there were too many codes tripped in my ECU to trace the problem down to a strating point. So they cleared the codes and said to return as soon as if and when the problem recurs. Surely if my MINI was suffering the same gasket misfortune I'd have had more difficulty before now, no?

Hope everything's back in order and working as it should

Cheers,
Jason.
www.coopersport.ca