Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Supercharger bypass valve.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 04:08 AM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
awaiting parts

Hello!!
I just got a phone call from my Service Rep and they noticed the Alta CAI only. They ordered an Intake sensor? for the Mini and it will be fix by tomorrow. I will ask them in detail what's wrong. Henry

Old 11-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you mention the BPV?

Old 11-16-2005, 09:56 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
??????? Intake sensor??? sounds like the alta might be helpin' to clog this unit..

how many times have u cleaned ur breather?

Originally Posted by WP4LDU
Hello!!
I just got a phone call from my Service Rep and they noticed the Alta CAI only. They ordered an Intake sensor? for the Mini and it will be fix by tomorrow. I will ask them in detail what's wrong. Henry

Old 11-16-2005, 09:57 AM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
Bpv

Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Did you mention the BPV?
Hello!
Yes!! I did. They told me something about the my Alta CAI and the intake need a new sensor. They clear up the "SES fault Light" and to wait for the parts tomorrow. Question: is the BPV located near the air intake? Henry

Old 11-16-2005, 01:07 PM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
Bpv

I just cleaned the filter 2 weeks ago!! and I only have about 1000 miles with the CAI and the car was working perfect before this happened. I will found out tomorrow when I pick the Mini up from service what parts they replaced for sure. They also ask me if I installed a Tunning chip, and I told them no. I do not have a power chip yet in my Mini. They try to blame it to the Alta CAI but I don't think so. What happen with the rest of the Minis with the same problem? Henry

Old 11-16-2005, 01:49 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
=0)

if and when u clean ur FOAM element if u spray to much oil on it the sensor will see it and foul up....
I just cleaned the filter 2 weeks ago!! and I only have about 1000 miles with the CAI and the car was working perfect before this happened. I will found out tomorrow when I pick the Mini up from service what parts they replaced for sure. They also ask me if I installed a Tunning chip, and I told them no. I do not have a power chip yet in my Mini. They try to blame it to the Alta CAI but I don't think so. What happen with the rest of the Minis with the same problem? Henry

Old 11-16-2005, 01:57 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What sensor are you talking about? A MAF?

Originally Posted by joker
if and when u clean ur FOAM element if u spray to much oil on it the sensor will see it and foul up....

Old 11-16-2005, 10:49 PM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
Bpv

Originally Posted by joker
joker!!
I cleaned the filter as per instructions. I put a thin coat of oil enough to cover the whole filter area, and worked out with my fingers to removed the excess of oil. The problem if not the "Service Engine Soon" light, the problem that we are talking about is in fact that the car lost all the power after shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I shut the car off and wait few seconds and restarted the car, and the "SES" light stay lit, Mini runs but with limited power enough to make it to the BMW Service Dept 5 miles away. I do not see the problem with the air filter. I will post the result of the repair as soon as possible for the benefit of all Mini ownwers. Henry

Old 11-17-2005, 07:52 AM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
I Got It Back!!

Hello!!
I got my car back from service today and they replaced the "Intake Sensor" also they think I got a Tunning Chip because they found my Mini too powerfull with only an Alta Air Intake compare to the other MCS. I'm stationed in Germany and I explained them about the bypass valve failure and they only found the bad intake sensor on the Throttle body. Henry

Old 11-17-2005, 08:27 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
What was the part number of the "intake sensor" that they replaced?

Old 11-17-2005, 08:49 AM
FURIOSO
2nd Gear
There was an article in this months Road & Track (December, 2005) about over-oiling K&N style filters. Evidently its quite easy to do and it does affect the air sensor wire.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:52 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Good thing we don't have any "air sensor wire" in the MCS. :smile:

Old 11-17-2005, 10:22 AM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
once is faults and the dme it will go inot fail safe mode restating the car will give u some power back but the issue will still be there what happenes is that it gets stucked closed and the dme shuts down the car due to lean running condition

Originally Posted by Ryephile
The bypass valve is a passive, mechanical device that defaults to being closed. Restarting the car made no difference in its' functionality. I'm not sure what your vehicles' actual problem was, but it wasn't the bypass valve. For what it's worth, according to the dealership it's called a "shut-off valve".

Having worked so intimately with the bypass valve in the MCS, I know the quirks and functionality of it. I don't see how, even if one failed, would it cause the car to be unable to at least go into a proverbial mechanical limp mode and get out of it's own way. You can tie the bypass valve open and the car still has some power.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 AM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
Intake Sensor!!

Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
What was the part number of the "intake sensor" that they replaced?
Andy!!
No part # for the intake sensor. Here the German do not give too much information on the repairs. I also request a print out of the parts replaced and no luck at all. The car is working perfect so far. . . I guess they tested the car very hard because the Service Advisor was very happy telling me how powerfull my Mini was, and specially when I turned in my car yesterday it was clean. Today was raining the whole day, and when I pick up my car was filthy and brake dust all over the wheels, the amount that it will take me in 1 week of driving. Henry

Old 11-17-2005, 11:30 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Did you have to pay anything for this repair?

Old 11-17-2005, 11:45 AM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
Intake Sensor!!

Did you have to pay anything for this repair?
NO!! everything was covered under warranty, and they also pay for my taxi because they did not have a car to lend me, and specially when I dropped the car to get fix without an appointment. Good service. . .

Old 11-17-2005, 07:21 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
oh,

okay!! my bad................
joker!!
I cleaned the filter as per instructions. I put a thin coat of oil enough to cover the whole filter area, and worked out with my fingers to removed the excess of oil. The problem if not the "Service Engine Soon" light, the problem that we are talking about is in fact that the car lost all the power after shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I shut the car off and wait few seconds and restarted the car, and the "SES" light stay lit, Mini runs but with limited power enough to make it to the BMW Service Dept 5 miles away. I do not see the problem with the air filter. I will post the result of the repair as soon as possible for the benefit of all Mini ownwers. Henry

Old 11-18-2005, 09:33 AM
lvbltec
2nd Gear
yes u do

Good thing we don't have any "air sensor wire" in the MCS. :smile:

Old 11-18-2005, 09:56 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
=0)

i seem to have missed sumthin' here!!!!!

andy stated theres no sensor there to be affected
lvbltec stated "yes u do"
im not sure wats goin' on here but pls elaborate!?!?!?!?

Old 11-18-2005, 10:11 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Open the hood and locate the mass airflow sensor. Take a picture of it please.

The MCS uses a speed-density system that determines airflow from the MAP sensor in the intake manifold (this measures pressure, not airflow, and is not affected by K&N style oil contaminants), RPM, and the volumetric efficiency of the engine. Again, despite what has been posted by lvbltec and joker, our engines do NOT use a MAF sensor.

Originally Posted by lvbltec
yes u do

Old 11-18-2005, 11:31 AM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
Manifold Air Pressure Sensor!!

The MCS uses a speed-density system that determines airflow from the MAP sensor in the intake manifold (this measures pressure, not airflow, and is not affected by K&N style oil contaminants), RPM, and the volumetric efficiency of the engine. Again, despite what has been posted by lvbltec and joker, our engines do NOT use a MAF sensor.
Hello!!
This is what I found about the Intake Sensor follow this link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=11&fg=40 item #09 Manifold Air Pressure Sensor on the Intake Manifold.
I check my car today and my Alta CAI it is in the same way I lefted after installation. The mechanic did not touch it at all. My car have more power now than before I gess the new sensor made it a difference, no wonder the service advisor was surprise about my mini. He did not see my Alta 15% pulley. Henry

Old 11-18-2005, 12:26 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
very g00d.......

thx andy for tryin' not to make us look toooooo stupid....i know this wuz hard for u to do .......

Old 11-20-2005, 02:40 AM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
Intake sensor!!

Hello!!
Just a quick question? My Mini is behaving differently after the new Intake Manifold Air Pressure Sensor was replaced. It have "more power now" but some times when I go fast on the autobahn here in Germany from 4 to 5 gear the car choke a little on the 4000 RPM and 5000 RPM range. It feel like it reached the Rev Limiter for a few second and after that spot it continue to run perfect until red line. I'm using the same fuel Esso Super Plus 98 (93 in US) and the car worked fine before. any sugestions? Henry

Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 AM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
Never Mind!!

I disconected the battery for 15 second to reset the car computer and now it is working perfect. Henry

Old 11-22-2005, 10:22 PM
WP4LDU
3rd Gear
OK!! Same problen again!!

Car lost power this morning sounded like something were getting stuck and restricteing the fuel or air passage. "SES" light came on, and power reduced to 50%. I stop the car, turned off and on and drove it to my work place, and I check the computer for fault codes and none were displayed at all 00000, I reset the computer and the SES light disapear, and car was working fine again. I do not think it was the new sensor. I thinking now in the bypass valve. How can I check the BPV for problems? Henry

Quick Reply: Supercharger bypass valve.