Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Supercharger bypass valve.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Bonsaï
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I have also the P1688 defect on MCS 05. BMW replaced the temperature sensor compressor. I looked at the valve bypass, it turns well with the engine moving. I do not know how to control if it is stuck, it should not then turn. You think that that comes from TB?

You can advise me for the new spring.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright I need some serious help.... So the car is twin charged and has been goin in and out of limp mode the past 2 days but last night I took it out and tried pushing it to see what would happen... It ran real strong!!! However I did a freeway pull and at the end of 4th gear it went into limp again, this time really bad tho. The car sounds like a STi exhaust... and the ses, ems and all the lights that limp mode throws are still on even after I reset the ecu! And it blowin' white smoke. Think it would still run and start if I blew a piston? And what should I do to get rid of the limp mode and the exhaust sound? Why does it sound that way??? Please give me good news anyone....!

Old 05-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Haggardsk8er
Alright I need some serious help.... So the car is twin charged and has been goin in and out of limp mode the past 2 days but last night I took it out and tried pushing it to see what would happen... It ran real strong!!! However I did a freeway pull and at the end of 4th gear it went into limp again, this time really bad tho. The car sounds like a STi exhaust... and the ses, ems and all the lights that limp mode throws are still on even after I reset the ecu! And it blowin' white smoke. Think it would still run and start if I blew a piston? And what should I do to get rid of the limp mode and the exhaust sound? Why does it sound that way??? Please give me good news anyone....!
Sounds pretty much like what happened to my friend Brian, aka FastBandit, and his car is twincharged...
http://nemini.org/mini-modifications...build-t7996/0/

Old 05-27-2007, 07:16 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White smoke usually indicates coolant getting into the combustion chamber. At the very least, it sounds like a blown headgasket.

The following users liked this post:
UrbanArcher (04-24-2022)
Old 05-27-2007, 08:12 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
What's your AF? What boost psi are you running? What is your redline?

Originally Posted by Haggardsk8er

Old 05-31-2007, 06:52 AM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright pulled the head... #1 piston is blown, slightly melted... So time to order some new forged ones. However, what kind of damage do you think happened to my valve's? It happened in the bottom left corner of the piston and the valve above it is all white. Also I ran a compression test and if a piston is blown it usually reads low... it read ZERO! Think maybe a valve is stuck or melted shut??

Old 06-02-2007, 05:56 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got my DT BPV installed today by Scott at Central Coast Coopers. OMG!! What a difference. The spring on my old bpv was so weak--somewhere on the magnitude of 1/4 of the resistance of the DT BPV (approximated by feel). Pretty cool watching the Boost gauge return when I left off the gas. I'm achieving more boost PSI than before--was never getting more than 15psi before the DT BPV. Overall throttle response is greatly improved. Can't wait for the next autocross! FWIW, I've got an '05 MCS.

Richard

Old 11-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Victory
1st Gear
This just happened to my car last night and cost me 567 to fix which I think is BS. My car is a 2005 MINI Cooper S and could not accelerate above 30 mph. Creeped to a gas station to turn off the car. Turned it back on and the Engine light was still on. Drove it home and it shifted just fine. The next morning the Engine light was gone, but I took it into Keeler MINI anyways. The valve was supposedly corroded. Not cool.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 AM
RHM
2nd Gear
Loss of power

I just had a similar experience. I was pulling off I-95 neat Warwick RI when the car seemed to lose all power. It actually went into the limp home mode. Turned out I was only 3 miles from a Mini dealer, and with some trouble, got the car there (I am there now). The problem with my 06 S coupe was the vibration damper on the supercharger. I should be on my way back to PA soon, about $800 poorer.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For those who dont know: if your car goes into Limp Mode and you need to get it out fast and on the fly, just push in the clutch, turn your key off, and turn it back on. The car shuld stay running but if it shuts down completely click the starter over.

I had to do this a bunch of times running quite a few mods, and no tune!