Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cooper S won't get up steep hill!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 07:10 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everything about the video causes me to wonder what the intent really is. Even switching drivers gets problematic from a diagnostic perspective. If the intent is to get the car repaired and functioning back to factory specification, a dynomometer test would seem to be imperative, given the inability/unwillingness of the dealers to get serious about the problem. Even if you have to pay $500 (which is exhorbitant - locally they run around $100/run) for a dynomometer run, it is a diagnostic test that seems to be needed to get some attention. The cost of the dynomometer test should be able to be reimbursed by MINI. To net out the argument for a dynomometer test, it (the dynomometer test) is totally objective; the video is almost totally subjective.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:50 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pir8 97
Agreed. A dyno would be a better test, but I would go the video route first (without getting the courts involved)... it's much cheaper than dyno time. Also, I know this thread is getting quite long, but if you look back I believe they talked about switching drivers to replicate the results.
I would definately be up for a dyno test, do you know where I can get one done? I think it would be excellent tech. evidence. Still plan to do the video though because visuals can be very compelling, especially when there are other cars achieving this feat and mine isn't.

And to the poster who wondered why nothing has been done to fix this problem yet, what do you suggest I do, bring it in to my nearest Mini dealer???

Seriously, the car runs fine so there is no sense of urgency. Lately I've had much more important things I need to deal with everyday. I don't run my life around my Mini. I know shocking

Is anyone going to NorCal Mini's 2nd birthday bash at Baja Cantina Friday in Carmel Valley? The infomous under-achieving Cooper S will be there.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:14 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lagunacat
I would definately be up for a dyno test, do you know where I can get one done? I think it would be excellent tech. evidence. Still plan to do the video though because visuals can be very compelling, especially when there are other cars achieving this feat and mine isn't.
To find a shop that has a chassis dynomometer is a bit of a challenge. It is not as if you go to the yellow pages and look for auto repair shops that advertise a chassis dynomometer (some do, others don't). You will have to make a series of phone calls. Start with shops that advertise BMW (or even MINI if there are any in your area) repairs. Call them up and ask if they have a chassis dynomometer. If they don't, ask if they know someone who does. I don't know if you will find a repair shop with a chassis dynomometer in the Monterey area, but you probably will find at least one in Salinas. In the unlikely event that Salinas does not have any shops with chassis dynomometers, go north into San Jose and Campbell area.

And to the poster who wondered why nothing has been done to fix this problem yet, what do you suggest I do, bring it in to my nearest Mini dealer???
Well, you ultimately will have to take the car to a MINI dealer if you want MINI to cover the cost of the repair (and reimbursement of the cost of the dynomometer session(s)). Check the fine print in the warranty coverage - the manufacturer (MINI) or its agents (the dealers) must be given a reasonable opportunity to fix the problem. Reasonable generally means 3 attempts with documented non-attainment (such as a follow-up dynomometer test) on each attempt before you can conclude that the manufacturer and its agents aren't up to the challenge. The dynomometer results are probably the most objective way of demonstrating non-attainment.

Seriously, the car runs fine so there is no sense of urgency. Lately I've had much more important things I need to deal with everyday. I don't run my life around my Mini. I know shocking
Don't get too complacent. Your not pressing the issue to conclusion could be interpreted as there really not being an issue after all. If I had spent $20+ K on a car and it doesn't run right (and not being able to go up a driveway is definitely not running right), I would be all over getting it fixed.

Is anyone going to NorCal Mini's 2nd birthday bash at Baja Cantina Friday in Carmel Valley? The infomous under-achieving Cooper S will be there.
You might check with the Norcal Mini people about a chassis dynomometer in your area. They might know about a shop.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:04 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by caminifan
T
Well, you ultimately will have to take the car to a MINI dealer if you want MINI to cover the cost of the repair (and reimbursement of the cost of the dynomometer session(s)). Check the fine print in the warranty coverage - the manufacturer (MINI) or its agents (the dealers) must be given a reasonable opportunity to fix the problem. Reasonable generally means 3 attempts with documented non-attainment (such as a follow-up dynomometer test) on each attempt before you can conclude that the manufacturer and its agents aren't up to the challenge. The dynomometer results are probably the most objective way of demonstrating non-attainment.

Don't get too complacent. Your not pressing the issue to conclusion could be interpreted as there really not being an issue after all. If I had spent $20+ K on a car and it doesn't run right (and not being able to go up a driveway is definitely not running right), I would be all over getting it fixed.
Have you read this entire thread? I have been turned away by 3 dealers already. Well 2 of them told me not to bring it in because they wouldn't look into the problem if I did. The closest was 79 miles. I personally don't have the time to drive there everyday and ask them pretty please to look at my car. So my next step was Mini USA and they stonewalled me and basically backed up the dealers.

Believe me I WILL press this issue to conclusion.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:59 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Have you read this entire thread? I have been turned away by 3 dealers already. Well 2 of them told me not to bring it in because they wouldn't look into the problem if I did. The closest was 79 miles. I personally don't have the time to drive there everyday and ask them pretty please to look at my car. So my next step was Mini USA and they stonewalled me and basically backed up the dealers.

Believe me I WILL press this issue to conclusion.
Actually, I have read the entire thread. My comments have been made from a fairly significant experience in litigation (I am not an attorney; however, by virtue (sometimes it seems like a curse) of being in business, I have been involved in a number of lawsuits). So far, you seem to be lacking a fact-based evidentiary trail. Which is one of the reasons that you may not be getting MINI/BMW to be taking you seriously. If you want to make a video; go for it. Just don't expect a judge to take your video seriously without some evidentiary controls. Now, if your objective is to slime MINI/BMW, you seem to be doing well in that regard. Just understand that MINI/BMW have much more resources than you do. At some point, if you are particularly successful at sliming MINI/BMW, they will go to court. If you get served with a judicial summons, it will get very expensive very fast for you.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if he just made a video and showed it the dealer and ask if this is normal. For an intermittent problem I took photos of the problem and presented it to the service writer. He replaced the stereo under warranty after that. Of course, that was at Lexus and they are known for customer service. I made an mpeg of the heated seat switches and I was about to present to the dealer but luckily the driver side didn't work while the shop foreman was in the car.:smile: Of course, the part took forever to come in and my heated seat still is flaky. I'll have it replaced when I bring it for service in the next month or so.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:22 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
Stalling on Hill

I had the same problem. I had the new software installed, and now use 89 octane rather than 92 or 94 and it helps. The dealer told me to use the cheaper gas. Hope this helps. :smile:

Old 05-27-2005, 01:08 PM
ripley
3rd Gear
Well, it's been 2 months now and still no report from Lagunacat on what the problem was or wasn't. Several suggestions were made but we never heard whether they helped or not. I'm thinkin' there likely never was a real problem. Perhaps it was operator difficulty

Lagunacat, what's up??? Please tell me I'm wrong and that this wasn't some exercise in excessive whining!

If you had a real problem, I (and likely many others) would like to know the outcome. So spill the beans, man!

ripley.

Old 05-27-2005, 05:13 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ripley
Well, it's been 2 months now and still no report from Lagunacat on what the problem was or wasn't. Several suggestions were made but we never heard whether they helped or not. I'm thinkin' there likely never was a real problem. Perhaps it was operator difficulty

Lagunacat, what's up??? Please tell me I'm wrong and that this wasn't some exercise in excessive whining!

If you had a real problem, I (and likely many others) would like to know the outcome. So spill the beans, man!

ripley.
I have been in communication with my dealer in Louisiana to try and get this issue resolved. I stopped posting updates because I got tired of reading assinine posts from idiots like you. You need to get a life Ripley.

Old 05-27-2005, 07:32 PM
CARVNIT
2nd Gear
Sorry about the negative perspectives of others' lagunacat. I have experienced similiar problems with my MCS. No matter what rpm it would die, and not be able to go up a hill. I have also had idle problems on slight inclines - both at sporadic frequencies. No fault codes on ECU = no help from dealer! If you have achieved any success please feel free to message me.

My car still has unresolved idle issues - MINI service is unaceptable!!!

HELLO MINIUSA - you out there?

Old 05-27-2005, 07:37 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
I have been in communication with my dealer in Louisiana to try and get this issue resolved. I stopped posting updates because I got tired of reading assinine posts from idiots like you. You need to get a life Ripley.
Lighten up man, he's just giving you a little crap. All in good fun.

Look on the bright side, you could be driving a ford.