Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cooper S won't get up steep hill!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:09 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cooper S won't get up steep hill!

I'm with MINI USA. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:56 AM
nerd
2nd Gear
I really hope you get this taken care of. The lack of torque is BS. I have done many mountain runs here in Albuquerque in my Civic and DelSol and those have way less torque then the Mini S.

There is a big hill here in town about 45 degrees, actually probably more. Next time I'm at my parrents I'm going to try this hill in the Mini. I know I did it in the Civic EX with auto transmission before.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:06 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Those of you have posted here yesteday suggesting that I find a hill no matter how far you have to drive and SHOW them are missing the point. It has already been established by Mini SF that there is a problem. Look, I was already to drive up to visit him and show him the problem on one of his hills. He did NOT want to see me. Period. He told me this. He said it would be redundant, because there is NOTHING he can do. Period.

Before this when I was at Mini of Mountain View I asked the BMW service manager to indulge me for a few minutes. I asked him to pretend that his ramp in the back was steep enough to keep my car from getting up ( i had to ask him 3 times, hard for those guys to fantasize I guess ) the ramp. Now in that hypothetical situation and you saw it for yourself, what would you do, I asked him? "I would look to see what warning lights came on, if no warning lights came on then there would be NOTHING I could do". I heard this from 3 different people @ this dealership. No warning lights then there is nothing wrong to fix. Period. In their 'modern computerized automobile minds' no warning lights = no problems. If you don't believe me call your service dept.

I will be going back to this hill and documenting the problem on video. I will also be bringing a friends new VW Bug (similar car) and video that going up. Hell I might even bring my brothers 1974 2002 and get that on tape eating up that hill. After that I am not sure my next step. The dealer that sold me the car is very simpathetic and is going to make a call for me so I will wait for that. I do know I am finished with the BS from the dealers. Well except for Mini SF, at least they were honest with me (to a point), and the customer service rep at 1 800 ASKMINI.

Meanwhile I have emailed someone at Edmonds. I may email more magazines today.

Oh, and the whole time I was @ Mini of Mountain View no one offered to fix my parking break. I must have mentioned it over a dozen times. I don't remember customer service being this bad. From the moment I went in there I had the feeling they just wanted me to leave. This couldn't have been more obvious than the one tech who refused to look up from his computer screen during my whole conversation with him. Nice.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:14 AM
camelpilot
Banned
What is wrong with your parking brake??

I hope that isnt an issue or cause of the problem. Does your car roll freely at 1mph and take a while to come to a stop when u lift yout foot off the pedal? Or does it come to a stop pretty fast? (keep your foot off the brake).

Old 04-15-2005, 08:16 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIDivision
I'm with MINI USA. I've passed this message on to a MINI National Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
If you are talking about the rep in Ohio @ 800-ASKMINI then don't bother. He already told me I could write a letter to Mini and to have a nice day. To be fair, the woman @ this same number, Rachel, was top notch. She is perfect for this job. Apparently the other rep, S*****, overruled her. He has no business in customer relations.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:19 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=camelpilot]What is wrong with your parking brake?? QUOTE]

The parking brake wouldn't hold the car on the hill. Normal conditions it is fine. I had this earlier in the thread.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:28 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get it

These CA dealers you are dealing with are so unresponsive to your claim/complaint that your MINI lacks power. Did they not even offer to write up a service order to take it in for diagnostics and check it out.
If I said those things to my dealer/SA he would say " lets get it in here and have a look" without a doubt.
How can they just blow you off like that??

Old 04-15-2005, 08:50 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
These CA dealers you are dealing with are so unresponsive to your claim/complaint that your MINI lacks power. Did they not even offer to write up a service order to take it in for diagnostics and check it out.
If I said those things to my dealer/SA he would say " lets get it in here and have a look" without a doubt.
How can they just blow you off like that??
I know, it is mind boggling. Possibly because I didn't buy it from them? I had a similar problem with East Bay Mini in Pleasanton. When I brought it in for it's first service I told them I had a noisy fan when the key is on- a noise that wouldn't stop. This noise was NOT there when I bought it. They told me it was normal, washed my car and tried to send me on my way. I asked to sit in a new one to see how normal it was. At this point they huddled, took my car back in and then told me they would be ordering new parts. They never did let me sit in a new one to listen. So how many customers would get in their Mini and drive away when told it was 'normal'. Probably most. I guess the policy is too stonewall first.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:38 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by camelpilot
I suggest you find someone , anyone, who has a MINI, invite them over to the drive-way in question, and see if they can go up it. If they can, and they have similar spec as you, then there is a problem. If they cant, well.... I wanna see this hill. 100 bucks says my Camel can do it without a running start.
My exact thought....video the other MINI going up the driveway and your's dying half way up, switch drivers and show you can make it up in his MINI and he can not make it up in yours, then make a short clip, and put it on here. I'm sure MINI USA reads this and once they see they do have a problem and it's not just your driving they will have to take care of it or loose a LOT of customers.

Earl

Old 04-15-2005, 09:43 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Lagunacat, you need to get a bunch of other MINIs making it up the hill on video. The similar sounds that come from our MINIs might make the problem more obvious.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:50 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lagunacat
I guess the policy is too stonewall first.
I would not put it passed them at all. I've experienced it first hand myself a couple years ago, but after teethpulling and sticking to ma guns, I got what I deserved.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:23 AM
npartist
4th Gear
LagunaCat, is your car under a year old? or did you atleast first report the problem before it was a year old? If so file the "lemon law", it states that if a problem is reported and is safety related (such as blocking traffic because it won't go!!!!!!!!) and you have taken several attempts at trying to fix it (as you have) then you are entitled to a NEW car or your purchase price back! Look it up. It is extreme but might be worth it.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:41 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by npartist
LagunaCat, is your car under a year old? or did you atleast first report the problem before it was a year old? If so file the "lemon law", it states that if a problem is reported and is safety related (such as blocking traffic because it won't go!!!!!!!!) and you have taken several attempts at trying to fix it (as you have) then you are entitled to a NEW car or your purchase price back! Look it up. It is extreme but might be worth it.
It passed the one year mark last month. I had never encountered a hill such as this one until 2 weeks ago so no, I never reported a problem within the first year.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:34 AM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
Dude your car IS screwed up. You've got a serious problem. Sounds like you have a good plan of action prepared. To be honest, no manufacturer or service provider should ever treat someone the way you say they have.

I guess it will just take a little more effort to get there attention

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:57 AM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Maybe I missed a post, but where is this hill/driveway that you're having problems with? I'd like to check it out...

The only hill I've had problems getting up was Hamilton St (off Mansell and Delta St) in Visitacian valley ... I had to roll backwards and get a running start. If I stopped in the middle, I'll be burning clutching trying to move forward (up). Then again, I had DSC on, I didn't think of turning it off... have avoided that road, so never got a 2nd chance.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:17 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aminicooper
Maybe I missed a post, but where is this hill/driveway that you're having problems with? I'd like to check it out...

The only hill I've had problems getting up was Hamilton St (off Mansell and Delta St) in Visitacian valley ... I had to roll backwards and get a running start. If I stopped in the middle, I'll be burning clutching trying to move forward (up). Then again, I had DSC on, I didn't think of turning it off... have avoided that road, so never got a 2nd chance.
This is a private driveway in Monterey where I live. It really isn't as steep compared to some streets in SF.

So on this street that you tried to get up what happened that you couldn't make it? Did you think it odd that you needed to get a running start?

I don't think it is acceptable to avoid a road because your vehicle can't handle it.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:53 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lagunacat
This is a private driveway in Monterey where I live. It really isn't as steep compared to some streets in SF.

So on this street that you tried to get up what happened that you couldn't make it? Did you think it odd that you needed to get a running start?

I don't think it is acceptable to avoid a road because your vehicle can't handle it.
On the street I couldn't get up, it's a very steep incline with a STOP sign at the top (go figure, but the intersection is a fast downhill so I understand the STOP sign). There were maybe 2 cars in front of me that day, I had to stop behind them of course. When I tried to accelerate the car would barely make it a few feet, at the smell of the clutch, I backed off and just rolled down maybe 20 feet (waved a car coming up behind me around), then I just jumped on the revs and kept it in 1st.

Do I find it odd that I needed a running start? No. I use to have a '87 Accord with 100hp, I had problems with certain steep inclines as well if I had stopped. That car had issue with the PB, like what you've experienced on your MINI. Depending on how visually steep a road is when I approach it, I'll usually get a running start no matter if I'm in my MCS or in another manual transmission car. I also tend to avoid very steep inclines, don't want a car in front of me to start rolling backward... same with downhills that has a stoplight.. you get the idea, car coming down with no brakes left .

If I were to happen to be "stuck" at a steep incline again, I'll try turning off the DSC, see if that helps, otherwise, backwards here I come!

Old 04-15-2005, 01:20 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aminicooper

Off Mansell? Near Wilson? They do have some steep hills there and I know what you mean about rolling down the hill. In Noe Valley, the hill at Castro and Elizabeth is a challenge if you are from a dead stop. You let the clutch out and it won't rev fast enough and just like that you are rolling backwards. I used the e-brake on occasion when that happens or I make sure I am not at a dead stop. Rolling a little with some throttle works as well as the e-brake.

I've already complained about this in thread somewhere months ago. I guess I am not the only one.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:10 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
bypass valve?

Just doing my Sunday morning browsing, and after reading another thread (below), I wonder if a suspect bypass valve could somehow be a culprit here. Not the same symptom obviously, but enough to compel me to share...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=39457

Old 04-17-2005, 10:58 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Lagunacat,

Have you contacted other MCS owners in your area to see if they could give you a point of reference regarding this hill. In other words, is it a specific problem to your car, or are other MCSs similarly problematic when attempting to climb the hill?

Old 04-17-2005, 08:00 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Hi there....

I ran in to an owner the other day (see the TonyB link) and in less then a couple of seconds it was apparent that the bypass valve was frozen in a
partially open position. If you give me a call I will help you to pinpoint the problem and show you how to fix it for now

You can call me any time at 562-712-3270

peter
Team M7

Old 04-17-2005, 08:11 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I am REALY curious to see the problem on vid and see what the cause is...it's hard to believe there are customer service agents out there that would actually treat a customer like that?!

Old 04-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Does anybody know:

1. Has this been solved.

2. The percent of grade of the hill in question. For us out-of-towners reference only to a hill is fairly meaningless.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Zociac
3rd Gear
Reading through all the posts on this thread and I cannot get a clear sense of the grade of this steep hill in question. The discussion concerning if the MINI should be able to handle it is meaningless until this is determined. The automotive industry must have some standard of a minimum grade climbing ability for production cars and likewise counties must have maximum grade standard for public roads. However the hill in question is a private driveway the it may very well exceeds what is deemed not in excess.

Can lagunacat take a protractor and a level to make a rough measurement of the slope in degrees?

Old 04-20-2005, 09:50 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zociac
The automotive industry must have some standard of a minimum grade climbing ability for production cars and likewise counties must have maximum grade standard for public roads. However the hill in question is a private driveway the it may very well exceeds what is deemed not in excess.

Can lagunacat take a protractor and a level to make a rough measurement of the slope in degrees?
No this problem has not been solved. I am guessing the slope is 45 degrees, possibly less. As far as it exceeding limits-I doubt it. I have seen much steeper grades in SF. When i first saw this driveway I didn't blink. There was no question in my mind that my car should get up it. As I stated previously in this thread the SF service advisor told me that he has customers who complained of getting up certain streets in SF so that should give.

I am not sure about the protracter. I have no idea what one looks like never mind using it (math makes me break out in hives).

I plan to get a video camera and a few different cars and document the results.

Quick Reply: Cooper S won't get up steep hill!