Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cooper S won't get up steep hill!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:05 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper S won't get up steep hill!

Ok, I have had the Mini for one year now and have never had a power problem, except for the occasional/momentary sluggishness which seems to be a Cooper signature. However today I had a disturbing experience. I pulled into a steep driveway (think San Francisco) and I couldn't get the car up no matter how much I revved it. It would just die in the middle of the driveway. I don't know the grade ( I suck at math) but it is steep.

I was starting at the bottom at almost level but soon as the Mini pointed skyward it just couldn't do it. The engine would choke and stop. I could not keep the revs up. In my 30 plus years of driving I have never had this occur and we are talking lots of SF driving with standard tranny's. To me this is UNACCEPTABLE.

I finally did get up the driveway but only after making a running start. Again this is unacceptable because you don't get running starts in SF traffic! I can't imagine getting stuck in traffic in the middle of this type of incline.

Anyone else experience this? Should I bring it back to the dealer?

Old 04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
danbanger
4th Gear
I think something is definitely wrong since my non S MC is able to go up the hills in SF. You should get that checked out.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:12 PM
kibosh
2nd Gear
I can't imagine my S not being able to make it up a hill... I assume you didn't have the AC on?

Old 04-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
I don't know where the fuel pickup is in the gas tank, but I wonder if you were low on fuel and then sucking air when you started up the incline?

Old 04-05-2005, 06:26 PM
ditc
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not trying to insult your intelligence here, but might you have been in 3rd instead of 1st gear?

Old 04-05-2005, 06:29 PM
C4
Banned
To me the very tall first gear present in the '02-'04 MCS is partly responsible for the scary behavior the car exhibits when starting to roll out of steep inclines.

Probably this is no longer a problem in the '05 MCS with shorter 1st gear ratio and LSD.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Turbogeo
3rd Gear
I have started in 3rd thinking I was in first gear. These 6 speed trannys can be a bit trickey.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:38 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
3rd gear?

DITC you don't think that would have been my first conclusion? Did you read my entire post?

Old 04-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
was your ASC or DSC activated and causing the problem? Light flashing? Turn it off.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:52 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper4us
Probably this is no longer a problem in the '05 MCS with shorter 1st gear ratio and LSD.
From what I read only 2nd and third gear are shorter. Personally, once you start modding this car (I have an 03), first gear becomes too short! LSD is needed b/c there isn't enough traction in first. But for the stock S, yes, first gear is too tall. But there's no way you shouldn't be able to get up any type of upgrade. Have it checked out unless like metioned, you were in 3rd or were low on gas. The gas thing could definitely be a factor.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:54 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
I don't believe the ASC was on. I drive with it off. How would that rob the engine of power? Also to reply to another poster - plenty of fuel.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:57 PM
ripley
3rd Gear
Check the supercharger bypass or wastegate. And/or call the dealer.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:57 PM
kibosh
2nd Gear
ASC and DSC will cut power if the wheels begin to slip. DSC at least really kills the power when the wheels begin to slip. Basically it kills enough power that it isn't possible to spin the tires.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:10 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Yes, you have a problem with the S. I drive up hills in our 04 MCS all the time. The hills at castro and elizabeth, and castro and 23rd street, are two I take almost daily. Intially, I had a few problems but I used the handbrake on ocassion, and once I mth'd the car I had very little issues.

I think once I get it pullied the drivibility will be even better.

Take it to the dealer and fast!

Old 04-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Originally Posted by kibosh
ASC and DSC will cut power if the wheels begin to slip. DSC at least really kills the power when the wheels begin to slip. Basically it kills enough power that it isn't possible to spin the tires.
DSC was my first thought as well - did you experience any wheel slippage? If it was a gravel, dirt, or other loose-surface driveway, I can almost guarantee DSC is the culprit. It can be very wierd the first time you experience DSC cutting power.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, take it in for a look-see. BUT, keep in mind, they will most likely need to duplicate the problem before they will really try to do anything about it. With that in mind, I would scout around for a good hill somewhere near the dealership to try it on.

Good luck

Old 04-05-2005, 07:13 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
The wheels didn't even get a chance to spin. Soon as I hit the incline I lost all power. Like I stated before I made it up when I hit the incline with some speed. I'll go back tommorrow and try the driveway again and check the ASC.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:18 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
No there wasn't any gravel or wheel slippage. The car took off at the bottom of the driveway normally. You know, quick-like Mini (it wouldn't do this if it were in 3rd) but soon as it was faced with such a steep incline a complete power loss. I tried this several times, each time putting it back in neutral for the ride back down.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:21 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Oh yeah don't you know I have thought about the whole 'repeating it for the dealer thing'. No hills at the dealer I go to. That I know of. So yeah I am concerned about that.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:22 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ditc
Not trying to insult your intelligence here, but might you have been in 3rd instead of 1st gear?
I thought this was a good question, if there's nothing mechanically or electronically wrong with the car. I re-viewed the first post and can't find where he says he KNOWS he was in 1st.

Hesitant to post this, due to I'm SNIFA (So Not Into Flaming Anyone). If it hadn't happened to me - though going by feel, I can catch/correct it in nanoseconds - I wouldn't say anything. Beginning from a stop at the bottom of a steep driveway, in 3rd, is a Stall-Inducing Circumstance.

Lightheartedly: Maybe the shift-**** has rotated and you're in SIXTH! (which would look like 9th if it was upside down LOL).

Hope all is indeed well with your MCS,
Tatt

Old 04-05-2005, 07:30 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lagunacat
Oh yeah don't you know I have thought about the whole 'repeating it for the dealer thing'. No hills at the dealer I go to. That I know of. So yeah I am concerned about that.
What dealer do you go to?

Old 04-05-2005, 07:40 PM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
I have been to only one dealer and that is in Pleasanton CA. The closest to me is Mountain View but everytime I tried to make an appt. with them they told me I would be better off (time wise) to go to Pleasanton. I had the feeling they didn't want to deal with Mini's.

Tattman, I asked if he read the entire post because I explained I tried it a few times from the bottom, and that I finally made it with a running start (3 feet of flat surface). So, how could I get a running start in 3rd gear?

Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Uh. . .lots of throttle and clutch slippage? Even in 3rd, the car won't bog until the clutch is fully engaged. And you wouldn't be fully engaged in three feet - in first OR third. My vote is also for either low gas or DSC. Is it possible that the incline is so steep that the yaw sensors are thinking weird things? I'd try it again with DSC switched off - see what happens then - can't hurt, can it?

BP

Tattman, I asked if he read the entire post because I explained I tried it a few times from the bottom, and that I finally made it with a running start (3 feet of flat surface). So, how could I get a running start in 3rd gear?

Old 04-05-2005, 08:24 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Ahh, ty for completing the inaccurate mental picture I had (forgive me for I had just come from chaperoning my wife's first behind-the-wheel time in my MCS). She's got it down, now .

May your dealer have plenty of not-too-boring loaners for you to use while they read the engine management codes, replace whatever's indicated, and FIX your recalcitrant MINI.

Tatt

Old 04-06-2005, 03:45 AM
jaxkewl
2nd Gear
did u try getting part way up the hill, then stopping then trying to rev it with just the brake. if the rev is fine at an incline without the clutch then u might be slipping. although can u slip with a manual? if the rev is not fine at an incline then maybe some fluid or air is not going where it needs to go.

if u havent already done so methodically re-create your situation. adding 1 element at a time and isolating what the real problem is, but then if u already did this..... .. im out of ideas.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:47 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jaxkewl
did u try getting part way up the hill, then stopping then trying to rev it with just the brake. .
no but I will try this today. I plan to put it through a few scenarios today.

thanks for all of you who offered suggestions. I will get back with results today.

Quick Reply: Cooper S won't get up steep hill!