Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cooper S won't get up steep hill!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:32 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tattman23
Hehe, I'm in Chicago, in one of the flatter states in the union.

I was just trying to scrounge up a little motivation to get the MCS over to the dealership so they could have a look-see @ my issues. My thinking was, if we "committed to it", then it might get DONE, despite our ultra-hyper busy schedules :smile:.

If you call up and make that service appointment (at a different dealer than the one who gave you the line), I still will make mine too,
Tatt
I hate to beat a dead horse but as I stated before the dealers don't want to see me. No warning lights = no problems. I am not freaking joking. I was at Mountain View Mini for over an hour and they WOULDN'T take my car in to look at it. Hell they still don't know the color of my Mini (except for the one tech who went for a short ride and told me that it isn't a BMW), that is how much attention they gave me! And again, when I had Mini of SF on the phone he told me NOT to bring my car up.

I'll be in Chicago in June. Red Sox vs Cubs!!

Old 04-21-2005, 08:36 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by danielg
Good Google skills Zociac, but keep in mind he was going up a driveway.

So lagunacat, how does it compare to the following images? (Thanks Google Images!)

(http://www.betterhousesbetterliving....s/chap04e3.jpg)

(found at http://weblog.larrydburton.com/wp-co...-engineers.jpg)
The second driveway is pretty nasty. That is more like it but it is considerably longer.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Zociac
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lagunacat,

I agree the problem is question is how the SA mishandle your problem as well as prior similar cases of owners of similar problem. Though the 05 MCS is geared about 11% lower on the 1st so would have 11% more torque, the pre-05s should have not problem tackle any public road in SF unless there is indeed a problem with the said cars.

What happened the to MiniUSA angel that swooped down from heaven to offer help? Told by the MiniUSA God not to intervene?

Originally Posted by lagunacat
Where are you located Tatt?

It is funny that I am getting a lot of questions on the slope/size/grade of this hill. I guess I would be concerned too but for the comment (often repeated in this thread) of the SF Mini service advisor stating that Mini's and steep hills = torque problems. To me that is the bigger picture and the one I want to tackle. Who cares what the grade is if the service advisor in SF is stating it IS a problem and the same guy telling me that there is nothing he can do for me? Have all of you read the complete thread?

PS. also, same service advisor stated it is not a problem in the 05's-as far as he knows.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:53 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zociac
lagunacat,

, the pre-05s should have not problem tackle any public road in SF unless there is indeed a problem with the said cars.

What happened the to MiniUSA angel that swooped down from heaven to offer help? Told by the MiniUSA God not to intervene?
Exactly! I asked the SA if they were stating this problem to prospective buyers in SF and he said "I don't know, I'm not in sales".

I don't know what happened to that angel. I haven't heard a word from Minui USA and I know they have my number.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:53 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
I hate to beat a dead horse but as I stated before the dealers don't want to see me. No warning lights = no problems. I am not freaking joking. I was at Mountain View Mini for over an hour and they WOULDN'T take my car in to look at it. Hell they still don't know the color of my Mini (except for the one tech who went for a short ride and told me that it isn't a BMW), that is how much attention they gave me! And again, when I had Mini of SF on the phone he told me NOT to bring my car up.

I'll be in Chicago in June. Red Sox vs Cubs!!
Chicago in June should be FUN! (too cold before then, too HOT after )
Wrigley field is a blast, too :smile:.

I'm going to go out on a limb and ask my MA what HE would do, if his MCS had trouble similar to yours. I know his answer already though - He'd take it to "Adam in Service", describe the symptom, and Adam, being an experienced MINI Service Manager/Technician, would "just know" what to look at/fix/replace. You should consider writing something up in the Dealer Review section here.

Freakin' Mcdonald's "succeeds" partly because you KNOW what you're getting. From 'Frisco to Boston, a Quarter Pounder with Cheese is a Quarter Pounder with Cheese... It's very frustrating for owners to deal with the dramatic "variations" in responsiveness and level of service at different dealers! Guess I should thank my lucky stars for a working MCS, and for a local dealership that doesn't abuse its (potential repeat) customers.

Mechanical problems that you "ignore" (I know that's the wrong word) are obviously a risk. You're betting that the problem won't do lasting harm unto your engine, just because things mostly work. If past experience taught me anything, it's that issues like this usually come to a head a month or 2 after the expiration of your warranty . Dodge/Chrysler taught me that lesson well.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:02 AM
LeftyS7
4th Gear
When you buy ANYTHING there is an implied warranty of fitness (for the particular purpose that it is designed). You should be able to get your money back from the dealer from whom you purchased the car or, perhaps, MINI USA. You need to consult a lawyer who handles consumer problems.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
These are two of the hills I drive up.

and down

Old 04-21-2005, 03:13 PM
ripley
3rd Gear
I mentioned the supercharger bypass 2.5 weeks ago in this thread. Have you checked it yet???

ripley.

Old 04-21-2005, 06:45 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
The second driveway is pretty nasty. That is more like it but it is considerably longer.
That is rediculous!

Old 04-22-2005, 09:22 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
The infamous driveway-'pics inside'

Originally Posted by tattman23
Chicago in June should be FUN! (too cold before then, too HOT after )
Wrigley field is a blast, too :smile:.

I'm going to go out on a limb and ask my MA what HE would do, if his MCS had trouble similar to yours. . Dodge/Chrysler taught me that lesson well.
Let me know what he says.

So here are 3 photos of the driveway. The view looking up is steeper than it looks and the 2 views from the top are more accurate, though it is not as steep as the second photo that Meanboy posted yesterday.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:29 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ripley
I mentioned the supercharger bypass 2.5 weeks ago in this thread. Have you checked it yet???

ripley.
No I haven't. I need to be able to find it first.

It is on the list of the many things I need to do concerning this problem.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:55 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Lagunacat, have you let anyone else with a MCS try your car out on that driveway yet?

A bunch of us are heading down to Laguna Seca next weekend, I think we could manage to swing by and put on a little show for your video camera. I'll try and get up it in reverse if that helps prove your case to the dealers.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:06 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
That hill doesn't look all that much different then the SF hills I climb. I think the bypass valve is a good place to start troubleshooting. But definitely, your car should be able to climb it and it did until recently.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:09 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Lagunacat, those pics look almost exactly like my grandparents driveway in Pittsburgh PA. Any driveway with stairs next to it is a beast. Too bad I'm in Florida and the MINI is probably not going to see Pittsburgh any time soon. Our Saturn (~120 hp) made it up there fully loaded several years ago. My dad took a trip up with our Honda Insight and it made it up too (although with electric assist, max torque is at 1500 rpm ).

I see the problem with the gearing as your only just above 1k rpm going 10 mph in 1st. Going up a driveway like that at 15+ mph is not very feasible.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:15 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sfjames2
Lagunacat, have you let anyone else with a MCS try your car out on that driveway yet?

A bunch of us are heading down to Laguna Seca next weekend, I think we could manage to swing by and put on a little show for your video camera. I'll try and get up it in reverse if that helps prove your case to the dealers.
Not yet. I don't know the owner of this property that well and still trying to get permission from her to do my 'shoot'. I am hoping this weekend but if she agrees maybe I will wait until next weekend. I am not in any particular hurry. I know Mini USA and my attorney will be around for awhile

The property is about a mile off Hwy 1. I live about 7 from Laguna Seca.

I was also planning on taking it up in reverse. I don't think it will have a problem in that gear.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:18 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kapps
Lagunacat, those pics look almost exactly like my grandparents driveway in Pittsburgh PA. Any driveway with stairs next to it is a beast. Too bad I'm in Florida and the MINI is probably not going to see Pittsburgh any time soon. Our Saturn (~120 hp) made it up there fully loaded several years ago. My dad took a trip up with our Honda Insight and it made it up too (although with electric assist, max torque is at 1500 rpm ).

I see the problem with the gearing as your only just above 1k rpm going 10 mph in 1st. Going up a driveway like that at 15+ mph is not very feasible.
I agree. I think it is a torque problem. Just from driving the car for a year and comparing to others I have owned. Plus it doesn't hurt that the San Fran. SA STATED THIS!

Old 04-22-2005, 10:22 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by meanboy
But definitely, your car should be able to climb it and it did until recently.
No, it NEVER made this hill, without a running start.

You have a Cooper or and S?

Old 04-22-2005, 10:32 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
I agree. I think it is a torque problem. Just from driving the car for a year and comparing to others I have owned. Plus it doesn't hurt that the San Fran. SA STATED THIS!
Our MINIs actually have good torque, but also have heavy flywheels that take away torque until you get the flywheel spinning good enough which means getting some RPM going before releasing the clutch.
I've taken hills here in SF and will admit that taking off from a standing start in the middle of the incline takes practice and clutch material . I use the e-brake while I work the throttle and let out the clutch. Once I feel the clutch engage, I give more throttle and release the e-brake and the clutch at the same time and I'm on my way. Using the e-brake to keep the car from rolling backwards take some strength, but always works for me.
Good luck and give me the word if you'd like us to stop by.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:40 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
No, it NEVER made this hill, without a running start.

You have a Cooper or and S?
I have a MCS and I travel up hills similar to the pictures you posted daily(I live on top of a hill). I even got stuck a couple of times in the middle of one of those hills. Because of the lack of throttle response on such hills, I grab the e-brake sometimes and rev it to 2k and release the brake and away she goes. I don't know if I could go up at a constant 5 mph(haven't tried) but I can definitely make it at a constant 10 mph.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:59 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Wow. Judging by the rise vs the run of the stairs, that looks to be at least a 30-40% grade.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:32 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
Wow. Judging by the rise vs the run of the stairs, that looks to be at least a 30-40% grade.
No it isn't that steep. I am thinking in the 22-25% range. The photo from the top looking down looks exaggerated and the the view looking up looks under exaggerated.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:47 AM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
lagunacat - I live fairly close (Hollister) ... let me know if you want to meet up and try the hill again - using my MCS.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:59 AM
lagunacat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSlvrS
lagunacat - I live fairly close (Hollister) ... let me know if you want to meet up and try the hill again - using my MCS.
I think we would get a better representation using Mini's without mods , as mine is. Well no engine mods , yet.

agreed? input? There are a couple ways to look at this.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:48 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
No problem - just remember the offer is open.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:04 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heck, I'm going to be at Laguna Seca next weekend, I'd be glad to stop by also...

Quick Reply: Cooper S won't get up steep hill!