Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2005 Windshield Cracks, Raise your hands!

Old 03-24-2005, 04:52 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July 02 build, replaced windshield with PPG at 15,800. Currently I'm around 58,000 miles and no further cracks. Concerning sandblasting/pitting; My glass looks better now then the OEM glass did when it was replaced.

The PPG glass is thicker then the OEM, at least the old style glass, I haven't had the opportunity to mic a new one.

The problem with the pen test is 2-fold for me: Which came first the crack or the missing chip of glass? also with the number of miniscule little pit marks on the glass the chance of a crack passing through one of these has to be around 99.8% It's like a perverse game of connect the dots!

This hasn't stopped me from enjoying the car; as a matter of fact I'm expecting delivery of MINI #2 sometime in April. It's scheduled to leave port tomorrow. But if the windshield cracks it'll be replaced with PPG faster then you can say POS OEM glass.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:05 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
STB feedback please

I was thinking that it is from the frame flexing under spirited driving. but while its parked?!?!?[/QUOTE]

this is an interesting question.There have been numerous posts about whether or not a Strut Tower Brace does anything or not in our MINIS .I'd be VERY interested to hear from those who installed STB's whether or not they've had problems with stress cracked windshields.If I thought for a minute that there were issues say with the A pillars flexing and causing premature failure of the glass,and that by installing a strut tower brace I might be able to reduce or eliminate it,I'd have one on in a heartbeat! Anyone? feedback please! Jock

Old 03-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by holdenontoit

this is an interesting question.There have been numerous posts about whether or not a Strut Tower Brace does anything or not in our MINIS .I'd be VERY interested to hear from those who installed STB's whether or not they've had problems with stress cracked windshields.If I thought for a minute that there were issues say with the A pillars flexing and causing premature failure of the glass,and that by installing a strut tower brace I might be able to reduce or eliminate it,I'd have one on in a heartbeat! Anyone? feedback please! Jock
Interesting idea....i would love to hear about this too

Old 03-24-2005, 08:41 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would rather have MINI fix the problem so we dont need strut braces to fix their problems!!!!

Old 03-24-2005, 08:46 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
i would rather have MINI fix the problem so we dont need strut braces to fix their problems!!!!
like that's going to happen in our lifetime..................

Old 03-24-2005, 08:49 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont care now, ive got my PPG windshield!!! BMW can kiss my butt!

Last edited by mbabischkin; 03-24-2005 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Language
Old 03-26-2005, 06:35 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
My theory will continue to be the combination of thin glass, soft glass, and temperature change.

Many reports of people parking in their garage with no crack and waking up to a crack (often after washing the car) - it sounds to me like going from a cool environment (outside) to a warmer environment (garage) could cause a temperature change rapid enough to make the inferior glass crack. Add a rock chip into the equation and that doesn't help. Add a previous car washing with nice cold water all over the glass and it seems even more likely.

I personally am on my fourth windshield. Would have gone with PPG, but I have rain-sensing.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:49 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scooterboy
My theory will continue to be the combination of thin glass, soft glass, and temperature change.

Many reports of people parking in their garage with no crack and waking up to a crack (often after washing the car) - it sounds to me like going from a cool environment (outside) to a warmer environment (garage) could cause a temperature change rapid enough to make the inferior glass crack. Add a rock chip into the equation and that doesn't help. Add a previous car washing with nice cold water all over the glass and it seems even more likely.

I personally am on my fourth windshield. Would have gone with PPG, but I have rain-sensing.
I can't think of any reason beyond inherent design issues along with inferior glass to cause the crack at 4 days of ownership, less then 500 miles, and sitting in a Northern California garage that is within a few degrees of the same temp as the outside (and no car wash).

As for body flex adding to the issue, it is possible and goes to the design flaw IMHO.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:47 AM
SGT_Pepper
2nd Gear
Well:

Add me to the list of cracked windshields. I posted the statement
below on the DC Metro Forum before I came across this one. It is
obvious in my case, that the crack was caused by stress. I did not
know that these cars were having all these problems with the
front windshields. I guess there is no telling on how the dealer
will react to my claim, especially when I purchased mine out of
state. I think this is total BS and if MINI or BMW do not fix the
problem, we should inform the public about these flaws.

"Hi everyone:

I just noticed a 6 inch vertical crack on the front windshield of my
'04 MCS. The crack seems to start from the roof line and is heading towards the dash, very close to the driver's side A pilar. Can anyone explain what could've cause this? The car is only driven a couple of times a week and there are no signs that a rock even came close to the windshield. Is this a known problem with these cars or do I have bad luck? I hate to think how much it will cost to replace. Thanks in advance for your inputs."

Old 03-26-2005, 10:37 AM
SGT_Pepper
2nd Gear
ckaminsk:

You have a pm

Old 03-26-2005, 02:03 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
I can't think of any reason beyond inherent design issues along with inferior glass to cause the crack at 4 days of ownership, less then 500 miles, and sitting in a Northern California garage that is within a few degrees of the same temp as the outside (and no car wash).

As for body flex adding to the issue, it is possible and goes to the design flaw IMHO.
But what explanation besides temperature makes any sense while sitting overnight in a garage? Even design issues and inferior glass wouldn't cause spontaneous cracking while sitting still (well maybe a fluke or two, but not as many as we've seen reported here). The only variable at work while sitting overnight in a garage that I can think of is temperature (and maybe humidity). That, along with pressure from the windshield frame seems to me to be the most likely explanation when the car is at a standstill. Perhaps with the right stress along the thinner edges of the glass, a few degrees is all it takes...

Old 03-26-2005, 07:12 PM
topdown
1st Gear
crack on day 2

yup, just like yours.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:58 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scooterboy
But what explanation besides temperature makes any sense while sitting overnight in a garage? Even design issues and inferior glass wouldn't cause spontaneous cracking while sitting still (well maybe a fluke or two, but not as many as we've seen reported here). The only variable at work while sitting overnight in a garage that I can think of is temperature (and maybe humidity). That, along with pressure from the windshield frame seems to me to be the most likely explanation when the car is at a standstill. Perhaps with the right stress along the thinner edges of the glass, a few degrees is all it takes...
Temp could play a role I was just saying that the temp in my garage just isnt all that different then the outside, and that if there wasn't a design/materials problem to start out with it wouldn't matter. Perhaps the heat of the engine is a contributing factor (boy that fan does run awhile after the car shuts off a lot!). I'm thinking that maybe a shock or twist, from hitting a pothole or something, could start the fracture off - something could even weaken it prior to delivery and the crack just grows from there until its noticeable - perhaps with the temperature flutuation/resulting pressure assisting...

Old 03-28-2005, 09:01 AM
SGT_Pepper
2nd Gear
Well:

Went to the dealer today and the service advisor said that it
was a stress crack. he stated that he has never seen one start
from the top. In any event, the dealer will replace it under warranty.
He also said that the new windshields are better...we'll see.
Only time will tell. To the dealer's credit, the service advisor was
very cool about it. I was not expecting a smooth and courteous
service based on what I read about this issue so far. I wish good
luck to all of you with this problem.

Juan

Old 03-28-2005, 09:40 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SGT_Pepper
Well:

Went to the dealer today and the service advisor said that it
was a stress crack. he stated that he has never seen one start
from the top. In any event, the dealer will replace it under warranty.
He also said that the new windshields are better...we'll see.
Only time will tell. To the dealer's credit, the service advisor was
very cool about it. I was not expecting a smooth and courteous
service based on what I read about this issue so far. I wish good
luck to all of you with this problem.

Juan
Yeah, they told me the new windsheilds were better - then I bought a new Mini and it went fast

Best of luck with the new glass, glad to hear they covered it for you. Just so you know the PPG glass is really good, oddly seems optically better overall - so if you do need another windshield in the future you at least know you have a good option

Old 03-28-2005, 09:41 AM
H&J
3rd Gear
I just submitted my complaint too

Originally Posted by Ol' Yankee
I sure hope every one with a cracked windshield files a complaint with the Feds.

Many complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration may get MINI to: 1) Fix the cracks under warranty or 2) Buy better windshields.

It isn't hard. Do it on line at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
YEP. Love the car, BUT I got the dreaded crack (MUCH the same as Loki's) last year. May or may not have been caused by stone. Either way, I've never had a NEW windscreen do this. Many years of driving on Colorado's (DOT uses pulverized gravel everywhere for icy roads, pitted windscreens are the rule, cracked ones are after about 3-5 years, heat and higher UV at altitude doesn't help) roads with VW's, Nissans, Saabs, and Subarus have shown me what to expect. But a crack in California after 3 months on a new windshield?

Nancy Reagan, "Just Say No To Crack."

Old 03-28-2005, 10:04 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Add ours to the list - crack starting just under the driver's side wiper, no sign of chip that I can see - looks like stress to me. We're 3 for 3 on broken windshields - MINI, Jeep, Pilot, all broken. Colorado is tough on glass, but I know what happened to the other two - don't know WHY the MINI broke.

Along those lines, how much is it gonna get me for a replacement? I have rain sensing - is it safe to assume that PPG won't do and that I have to get the OEM glass?

Old 03-28-2005, 10:07 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
My 2005 MCS has a small crack from a rock coming home from work 3 days ago..

Old 03-28-2005, 10:34 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
How did you know the rock was coming home from work? Was it carrying a lunchbox or something??

Originally Posted by AC_MINI
My 2005 MCS has a small crack from a rock coming home from work 3 days ago..

Old 03-28-2005, 12:28 PM
ewturner
1st Gear
Just noticed a crack in my windshield on the way back to work from lunch. Neither my passenger or I noticed it on the way to lunch. So i'm assumming it materilized while we were inside eating. The crack appears to be inside the glass. It's coming from the roof just a little off center of the windshield on the passenger side, and is probably about 4-5 inches long. I'm taking it into the dealership tomorrow morning and hopefully they will fix it

Old 03-28-2005, 12:30 PM
SGT_Pepper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Yeah, they told me the new windsheilds were better - then I bought a new Mini and it went fast

Best of luck with the new glass, glad to hear they covered it for you. Just so you know the PPG glass is really good, oddly seems optically better overall - so if you do need another windshield in the future you at least know you have a good option
Yes, I appreciate the information. I was quoting prices for a PPG glass
just in the case and they said that "LOS" glass is just as good. I
never heard of the brand before, but several shops told me that LOS
is equal in quality. Here on the north east, it appears that they are
getting away from PPG

Old 03-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Bob ///Margolis
2nd Gear
Been there, done that...replaced it with PPG

Old 04-04-2005, 03:54 PM
lexbomb
3rd Gear
Add me to the list... Center top, down through the rain sensor (which screws with the wiper speed...) and turns to the drivers side.

Tape and a call to my service advisor is next...

Old 04-05-2005, 10:29 PM
L0KI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-05-2005, 11:04 PM
L0KI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My solution to the horrible MINI OEM windshield.

PPG.

IMHO this glass is world's better than OEM, it doesn't pit when you look at it and seems opitically superior. If MINI wanted to fix the problem with the windshield issues, replacing their pitiful (sic) supplier with one that makes higher quality glass would be a good place to start.

Now maybe this is extreme but for double protection, I decided to put on edgeguard windshield protection from board sponsor AutoClearGuard.

Installation was very easy. The edgeguard comes pre-cut in sheets which make it easy to take off and apply. Included instructions were extremely helpful and well written ("Final" install instructions the papers said). The kit consists of 6 pieces, two for the top, sides and bottom respectively.

The only changes I would say reguarding the install is to keep it all "floating" while you put one both side and lower pieces. While they're "floating" (pre-squeegied) you can line up all the pieces relative to each other and the molding, giving you the ability to properly space them and make adjustments to potentially unsymmetrical sides. The tops will fall into place once you have the other 4 pieces lined up.

Here's a picture during installation while the top was being applied.

The end result is another level of comfort with the most vunerable portions of the windshield protected. The edgeguard is optically clear (it has to be) and the line edge of the protection isn't distracting at all. The material is completely different than your typical car vinyl protection but applied exactly the same way. If you're looking for a way to protect your PPG investment or you're one of the lucky OEM windshield owners who hasn't had their's crack yet, you might want to spend a little money to prevent any dealership headaches.

THANK YOU PPG AND EDGEGUARD for making a product I could invest in than having to surrender my money to MINI for an inferior item.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Windshield Cracks, Raise your hands!