Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2005 Windshield Cracks, Raise your hands!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:43 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have a crack problem, but I do have a pitting problem. After 2.7 years my windshield has thousands of nicks. When the sun shines on the
windshield it's like the Milky Way lights up in front of my eyes and I think it
has begun to obstruct my vision and is a real safety risk. Folks with later production dates are eventually going to have the same issue.

I hold out no hope that MINI Divsision will ever own up to this as a safety issue. My dealer won't replace the windshield unless it has a crack.

Recently, MINI responded to another problem.......gave a reference number and said that I should call them since their job was to mediate communication with the dealer. When I called they simply told me that they were aware of the problem and if they ever decide that the issue should be covered under warranty I would be notified. The problem is a noise that frequently occurs when starting out in first gear, especially in colder weather.

I can replace the windshield at my own cost, but I shouldn't have to. I have NEVER EVER had either of these issues with another car and have been driving since 1963.....that's 42 years......and I SMELL A SKUNK!

Old 04-06-2005, 10:21 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by L0KI
Now maybe this is extreme but for double protection, I decided to put on edgeguard windshield protection from board sponsor AutoClearGuard.
Very interesting. I'd probably buy this kit but I'll be damned if I can find it on their website...

Old 04-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
Hello. If anyone else is interested in the Windshield protection just shoot me an e-mail. Ryan@autoclearguard.com
Sorry the Windshield products are not on my site yet...

Prices:
PreCut Pattern - $75.00
Installation Kit - $10.00
Shipping - $10.00

If you want warranty then add the following prices:
Full Warranties - $500 Coverage
3-Year - $50.00
5-Year - $75.00

Thanks
Ryan

Last edited by Auto Paint Guard; 04-06-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
In the last 2 years I have had 2 MCS's and four windshields..........and I might be going on my fifth windshield Driving on the freeway tonight a stone hit the the top of my windshield causing a tiny horizontal crack. Hopefully it can be filled before it gets any bigger. I have never had so many windsheild problems in my life. The cracks have all ocurred either by a stone or while in shipping. There is definitely an issue with either the design or quality of these windshields. If I have to get it replaced is PPG the best choice?

Old 04-12-2005, 03:46 PM
CyebrOgre
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
i would rather have MINI fix the problem so we dont need strut braces to fix their problems!!!!
I have a BenFer Carbon Fiber Strut Brace and my windshield now has a wicked crack in it. I want to get the PPG glass, but do they make it for rain sensors?

Old 04-13-2005, 06:39 PM
camelpilot
Banned
I never had problems with Classic Minis and cracks. (TripleX glass for the win).

Temperature DEFINITELY caused the crack on my 04 MCS 2 months after I got it. It was cold outside and I put the heat on full inside. When it's cold out and you put heat on full you can actually hear the car start to creak and crack behind the dash.

I came back to the car 2 hours later and the crack said hello to me. It started behind the steering wheel at the base of the glass moving upwards in a straight as an arrow 4 inch line.

Because there was a pit (very small, smaller than 1mm) in the crack, the dealer tried to screw me. But I dont take to well to thieves, and when they saw me flip, they knew I wasnt going out without a fight and they decided to fix quote "just this one".

My poor Camel has since put on 13000 more miles, and the glass is riddled to sheeeeeeeeet, including 2 small cracks from stones, but overall, it's holding up well. (Camel loves me). :smile:

Old 04-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Hyper Blue
2nd Gear
Wow. Four pages of owners complaining about cracked windshields? You guys are making me consider canceling my order for a 2005 MCS. I live in Kansas, and our winters are pretty chilly. I want to be able to get into my car in the middle of January, turn up the seat heaters, and put the heating system on high without worrying about whether or not my windshield is going to crack. Unfortunately, my deposit is non-refundable. Well, I guess we'll see how long it takes for my windshield to crack in the summertime heat.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:33 PM
CyebrOgre
3rd Gear
The thing to do is to lower your comprehisive coverage to 0 dollars. You can leave all your other deductibles at whatever you want. When you make a claim against comprehensive coverage, it will not affect your insurance rates. Also makes hail damage easy to get repaired.

Don't give up your Cooper!

Old 04-14-2005, 03:19 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
windshield # 7 goes in this Saturday.........Going with PPG and auto clear guard. Yucca Patrol: Andrew, I sure hope you're right about this product being "The Answer" Stay tuned Jock, alias Mr. Windshield

Old 04-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Oilman930
3rd Gear
For those of you with rain sensor wipers there is still hope, and it's called Pilkington.

Pilkington has been supplying OEM glass for years. They make AGR (Automotive Relpacement Glass) for the Mini with and with out the rain sensor.

They are on the web at www.pilkington.com or you can call them at their Automotive Replacement Glass Division in Columbus Ohio at 614.497.5974

I hope this helps someone.

Oilman

Old 04-17-2005, 07:11 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
PPG for me!

On Friday morning my car was attacked by a flying boulder sufficient to crack any windshield. It hit between the wiper and the trim strip. Sounded like a gun shot .

So, with 2300 miles on the clock, I had a new PPG windshield installed courtesy of the good folks at Nationwide Insurance.

Hopefully it will live a long life, safe from attacks from within and without

Old 04-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
My 04' MCS took a rock hit on the Florida Turnpike about 8 months ago. Lucky in Florida its required for insurance to replace it with no deductible and no rate increase.

MINI wanted to charge $950 to have it replaced (no rain sensor) and the insurance wouldn't cover it. So they sent out Safelite Window repair and replaced the windshield for about $250 (progressives bill) with an OEM MINI windshield. Here are some pics:

Old 06-02-2005, 09:57 AM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
One more victim

Add one more '05 to the victim list. Driving home yesterday afternoon I heard a loud "crack" on the windshield. Saw no damage. This morning awoke to a 6" stress fracture. Upon inspection, appears the rock hit under the wiper in the black - the classic scenario. Also have another rock chip in the center of the passenger side that has never changed in size. My stress fracture was definitely caused by a rock impact, but the fracture didn't develop until later.

I'm in California so it appears that I am subject to the deductible. I would rather pay $300 bucks for PPG than get the runaround from the dealer and get the weak factory glass. For those who have done multiple insurance claims, don't you get dropped or have your rates skyrocket?

The MINI beancounters are clearly providing inferior glass, but I'm not gonna go buy a Honda. Maybe when the whole windshield falls out from minor rock hits, I'll be like the guy in the convertible marketing booklet with bugs in his teeth

Gonna be PPG for me,
Mike

Old 06-02-2005, 10:10 AM
meg
5th Gear
Posted a while ago that I had 2 chips in the windshield of my 05...now I am up to 4 (plus one that was repaired). They have been there for a few months (the oldest pob a week or two after I got the car). I have no desire to replace the windshield because I know I will prob just get another one driving away from the dealer.
Had the windshield replaced three time on my previous Cooper, and although my insurance company says galss coverage is no fault so they can't drop you. I am sure having another one replaced on a 7 month old car won't look too good.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:18 AM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny I run across this thread 2 days after I get my 1st crack. I took it to a local glass place and they did a pretty good job of repairing it so I guess it's ok for now. I have a $500 deductable on my insurance for glass so I'm sol with getting it replaced.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Auto Paint Guard
3rd Gear
For $125.00 you can get windshield protection along with a 5 year warranty in case your windshield still cracks after impact.
For more information go to www.autopaintguard.com

Hope this helps.
Ryan

Old 06-02-2005, 12:40 PM
C4
Banned
Does this product covers the entire windshield surface? Or Just the edges?

Old 06-02-2005, 01:01 PM
L0KI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by C4
Does this product covers the entire windshield surface? Or Just the edges?
The edgeguard does just that, protect the edges as illustrated in the photos I took on page 3.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:11 PM
C4
Banned
Thanks Loki, very interesting. I may consider this product.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:11 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CyebrOgre
I have a BenFer Carbon Fiber Strut Brace and my windshield now has a wicked crack in it. I want to get the PPG glass, but do they make it for rain sensors?
Anyone know if PPG has stepped up to the plate for the rain sensor crowd yet??

Originally Posted by Oilman930
For those of you with rain sensor wipers there is still hope, and it's called Pilkington.

Pilkington has been supplying OEM glass for years. They make AGR (Automotive Relpacement Glass) for the Mini with and with out the rain sensor.

They are on the web at www.pilkington.com or you can call them at their Automotive Replacement Glass Division in Columbus Ohio at 614.497.5974
Maybe I'm impatient, but I didn't see any application listings and/or prices on the Pilkington page - anyone know the price for MINI glass with the rain sensor?

Thanks. . .the cracks are driving me nuts. . .aarrgh!

Old 06-03-2005, 03:17 PM
CyebrOgre
3rd Gear
Pilkington is still OEM spec, so I would think it has the same tendencies to crack. As far as I know there are no after market places (PPG, SafeLite, etc) that have an aftermarket windshield with a rain sensor.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Bootsi
3rd Gear
Add me to the list.

I'm taking my husband with me so they don't tell me it's not a warranty issue. This thread has given me a lot of info and ammunition.

Thanks!! I'll let y'all know how it plays out.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:37 AM
MGear
5th Gear
So lets make this clearer:

People that have an in warrenty Mini drive into their local Mini dealer with a cracked windshield. A windshield that is cracked from stress and not from any impact. The dealer has been refusing to replace the windshield?

Old 06-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Kellzir
4th Gear
Within two weeks of ownership, I got a chip in the windshield.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:04 AM
plantain
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by L0KI
The edgeguard does just that, protect the edges as illustrated in the photos I took on page 3.
Out of curiosity, how well does this product age? Is it easy to clean your windshield? Can you just wipe over it and will it stay put? It seems like a plastic adhesive that will "catch" on things like microfiber towels if you wipe across the plastic/glass boundary.

Quick Reply: 2005 Windshield Cracks, Raise your hands!