Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2005 Windshield Cracks, Raise your hands!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Black and Blue
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windshield #4

The dealer where I bought, in CASH, my 2005 mini has done the ball point pen test 3 times. I finally went with a non mini windshield. Iv'e eaten the cost every time. I need to reduce my comp coverage on the insurance. I will probable never get mini to replace the windshield as it probably is a rock ding. The black area enhances the crack as it absorbs heat, can get to the 100's where I am. I'm thinking of placing clear mylar or tape all the way across the black area, done neatly of course. I have had my share of windshield nightmares. Maybe even a tinting company would have a suggestion. I looked into Diamond Fusion for 500$ but has a great garantee,warrantee. I may do this.Motor ON.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:03 AM
SandiePepper
6th Gear
Just had Niello replace the windshield for the second time (all under warranty) this is the third windshield and the car is only 5 months old, let's hope this one last a little while

Old 08-27-2006, 11:20 AM
L0KI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rainbow Blue, after it happened to me the first time, with 400mis on the odo, and getting the shaft from Mini (who says they're not related to BMW!) I replaced it immediate with PPG and got the windsheild guard from Auto Clear Guard (board sponsors) and haven't had an issue since. It's designed to fit the contours of the winshield in 5 seperate peices and is very durable.

Worth checking out if you want to prevent your new non-OEM windshield from suffering the same fate, although mind you the PPG glass is so much better to begin with I'm sure I'm just being over-paranoid with the clearguard.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:31 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
My '05 MC had developed a windshield crack a few months ago. I stopped in to my local dealer (Hassel Mini on LI) and spoke to the service advisor about it (I was on a bike at the time).

I also told them about these message boards and how so many people were having problems with stress-cracked windshields. His reply to me was that 75% of the cracked windshields that came in to them were caused by external factors. My reply to him was that 25% due to manufacturing defects was unacceptable and ridiculous. I also told him that when I brought the car in I didn't want him jamming a pen into the crack.

They replaced the windshield, on them. I told him I concerned about it happening again. He told me that problem was primarily due to the way the windshields were installed at the factory. The new windshield was installed more securely (more glue?). At any rate, the new windshield is still in there and is okay, although it is only about 3 or 4 months. It is completely ridiculous that I should even have to be concerned about something like this on a brand new car.

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. =o)

Old 10-28-2006, 01:03 PM
elmerfudd
Neutral
Originally Posted by L0KI

Well, how many 2005's out there with cracked windshields? Raise your hands...

I have a 2005 MCS with exactly the same problem, just like your photo. I had a dismal experience with MiniCooper of San Francisco. I watched them use a pen to dig out a spot on the crack (which was behind the metal frame of the wiper) and said "we see these all the time" when I told them the crack appeared while it was parked. The smarmy, smart-alecky tone of the service rep talking down to me angered me more than the fact they refused to replace it under warranty. I was very careful with my attitude to them (I was after all wanting their help) so I figured they do that to put customers on the defensive.

This is the third negative experience I've had with the SF dealership. I love my MCS, but I make it a point to tell everyone to not buy theirs from MC of SF.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Strom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Strom
Got a crack today - it started from underneath the trim at the top of the windshield near the middle of the car, so I don't think it's due to a rock chip. It runs down about 4-6 inches, then turns to the driver's side and keeps going 6-8 inches.

I actually heard it happen, too! I went to wash my car, and started spraying the roof off. There was no water on the windshield at that point, but it cracked anyway. We'll see what the dealer says, but I can't even feel the crack in the surface of the glass.
An update - my windshield was replaced under warranty, no questions asked, by Crevier MINI. I had them replace the passenger-side motor mount at the same time, and that was under warranty as well.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:14 AM
2fast2
2nd Gear
Our 2006 MINI S has already gone through it's first windshield at about 6K miles. My wife was on a trip and it cracked. She just assumed something must have hit it, but surprisingly (NOT) it was at the same location as all the pictures. This is a manufacturing defect. We ate the $100 deductible on our comprehensive as we had no idea it was a common theme. This windshield is not MINI, so hopefully it will hold up better.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:21 PM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
My 2K6 cracked about a month ago...and followed the same L shaped pattern...

Old 10-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Adnuo
1st Gear
At around 200 miles, driving down the interstate, I got an insanely loud pop. Looked around, and the bottom passenger-side corner of my windshield looked like a golf ball had hit it. It wasn't the L-shaped crack, it was a huge impact-looking mark. I called MINI right away and the next day they had someone at my house replacing with a standard MINI windshield free of charge. They said with the drastic angles the windshield takes on both sides, it sometimes gets mounted just ever-so-slightly off, and the pressure has to release itself somewhere. No problems since, 52k miles later.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:21 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I must be lucky (till now right?!) I have gone almsot 21k miles in 17months and only have the usual pitting in the windshield. No cracks yet

Old 01-13-2007, 10:36 AM
mac020
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by joecooool
We went through three windshields on our first Mini.

The Mini is the only car we have ever owned where the windshield is considered a "consumable" item.

I bought my "first" (2003) MINI about a year ago. The first time I washed it the windshield cracked. The crack started in the lower left bottom corner and went right through the MINI logo. I went to a glass shop and got it repaired that same day. The "Glass Doctor" told me that it looked like a factory defect and that my warranty should cover it. He didn’t see any chips and he was using a magnifier! Anyway I made an appointment with the service department and motored the 75 miles to Denver (which was still fun btw) to get the dreaded pen check. Only problem was they forgot to mention that the "qualified pen guy" doesn't work on Saturdays. Anyway the car had about 30,000 on it so I just let it go, but I think MINI does have a problem with their windshields and just doesn't want to do anything about it!

I also think the shape of the hood, how rigid the car is, previous pits and how vertical the windshield is makes for a few more problems with cracking. Oh! And lets not forget the stress we put on while cornering.

I really wanted the OEM replacement (for the logo), but will go for the PPG when the roads have less gravel on them.

BTW My insurance company will repair for free. The deductible I have is more than replacement cost

Old 01-13-2007, 11:00 AM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
Several weeks after I took delivery of my new '05 MCS, I walk into the garage and get into the car, only to find a crack in the windshield magically appeared overnight (there was no crack in the windshield the previous day when I pulled into the garage). I described what happened to the Service Advisor at the nearest MINI dealership, also talked about all the hubbub on the boards about this issue, got me nowhere, they looked at me like I was stupid, said it had to be a rock hit my windshield and that I just didn't realize the crack in the windshield until the next morning (that would be virtually and visually impossible). What could I do, so I gulped and paid my $250 deductible, but to this day (almost two years later) I still remember the experience and it doesn't feel right.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:09 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I walk into the garage and get into the car, only to find a crack in the windshield magically appeared overnight
Same thing happened to my '06 1 week ago. Pulled into the garage on Friday evening sans crack and Saturday morning an L shaped crack appeared from the top of the windshield. There is the tiniest of chips in the center of the crack about 2 inches down from the roof so of course my SA blamed the crack on an impact. To me, the chip could be caused by the crack. Everyone who owns a MINI knows that the windshields suck. At least I made it over 11K highway miles before incident.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
Same thing happened to my '06 1 week ago. Pulled into the garage on Friday evening sans crack and Saturday morning an L shaped crack appeared from the top of the windshield. There is the tiniest of chips in the center of the crack about 2 inches down from the roof so of course my SA blamed the crack on an impact. To me, the chip could be caused by the crack. Everyone who owns a MINI knows that the windshields suck. At least I made it over 11K highway miles before incident.
Ahhh the age old question: "which came first the crack or the chip?"

My take is that it's a perverse game of connect the dots. With 11k you had enough pit marks from normal driving that any crack is going to pass through one of them.

We've only had 2 out of the 4 OEM pieces crack so far. The 05 is going strong with 22K

Old 03-18-2007, 07:22 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm raising my hand now

Went out to my 06 MINI today and found a crack near the top of the windshield. There was no rock impact...no chip where a rock hit it. Just a 3 to 4 inch crack running down the center of the windshield. Funny thing is...I've had a really good weekend and even this can't ruin it.

Motor on

-Seth

EDIT: Oops...this thread is for 05's. Oh well...I'll still raise my hand. :P

Old 03-19-2007, 01:12 PM
owl
2nd Gear
2004 Mini - GOOD service experience at Mini of San Francisco

I don't have an 05, but my 2004 MC developed a crack in 70 degree San Francisco weather last weekend (it was 40s-50s a couple days before) - brought it to Mini of San Francisco and expected to need a fight to get it replaced under warranty. The service rep was nice about it but pointed out a (tiny, tiny) "rock chip" that to me looked like the crack caused the "chip". Anyhow, a service tech came out with a screw driver-type tool (no ball point pen treatment for me) and looked at the (5-6 inch crack) and OKed the replacement under warranty, but he mentioned to the service advisor to check the service history to make sure it's the first replacement stating that service dept replacements are now newer and stronger and shouldn't have stress cracks. BTW, he didn't use the tool to poke at the crack.

All in all I have been satisfied with Mini of SF service so far since July 2006, but they have forgotten to take care of a couple small things here and there, and I've been VERY picky in having multiple small and big things taken care of every time I'm there.

Also, I did not purchase the car at Mini of SF... purchased my car in SoCal and had SF enter my info in for the warranty transfer.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 PM
yonahleyah
2nd Gear
Just go my first L-shaped stress crack, bought my 06 in October. Will be taking it in to Universal City mini, although I bought from Irvine. I appreciate the head's up here about how dealers are payed back for repairs under warranty, so I know not to buy that line if they try it. Will let you know how it all goes; I have my 'demanding great customer service" speech all prepared...

Old 03-20-2007, 01:48 AM
Smokey
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yonahleyah
Just go my first L-shaped stress crack, bought my 06 in October. Will be taking it in to Universal City mini, although I bought from Irvine. I appreciate the head's up here about how dealers are payed back for repairs under warranty, so I know not to buy that line if they try it. Will let you know how it all goes; I have my 'demanding great customer service" speech all prepared...
You are correct they get paid, and rather well, for warranty work. But that work must be excepted as necessary and valid by the Area Warranty Rep. Which is not always the case for windshield repairs, hence the battle some are having.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:22 PM
yonahleyah
2nd Gear
What a relief. I went in to Universal, on the defensive - I hadn't bought my car there, and the pen test scares me. I was actually planning on printing out NAM posts to show how common the stress fracture is. Kelley, the service manager, gave me the benefeit of the doubt and deemed the crack a stress fracture, provided me with a rental, and gave the car back the next day - clean and with shiny wheels. It was so easy, painless, and pleasant, and the team there all had great attitudes. We ended up looking at my family pictures and laughing together, and cheasy as it is, all I could think was, "Ah, a true Mini experience."

Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Moto Phil
Neutral
Mysterious crack in my windsheild

Noticed this as I was driving away from work this evening. A 4 inch curved crack shaped like a boomarang at the bottom center of my windshield just undernieth the wiper blade. I know I didn't hit anything and there is no signs of impact to the wiper blade.