Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Pop Pop Pop...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 12:02 PM
mborto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pop Pop Pop...?

Had my MCS '05 for a month, (live in Grand Cayman). After the first week, I noticed that when I turned it on first thing in the morning, the rev's would drop very low, and it felt like it would stall. Then it would jump back up and would be fine for the rest of the day, unless it sat for over eight hours, then it would have the same problem. The dealer reprogrammed it but did not do a thing. Suggested it was the gas I was using, I switched to Esso (high octane) from Texaco and that problem stopped. However, whenever I'm in first or second, the exhaust makes a popping sound when I accelerate, like tiny back firing, sounds like "pop pop pop". Don't know much in regard to mechanics, and dealer isn't much help either. Any ideas what it is? Could it be the fuel?

Thanks,
MB

Old 01-14-2005, 12:24 PM
indimini
4th Gear
The "pop, pop, pop..." is there by design. MINI provided a more aggressive exhaust note on the 05's. You can search for "backfire" or similar terms and see that others have asked the same thing.

In fact, MINI marketing includes the following in their marketing material:

"The Crackling Noise.

When motoring in your convertible, you'll probably hear an aggressive sort of crackling or popping noise coming from the exhaust. That's actually been built in on purpose. Back in the day, the classic rally Minis made that type of sound as they raced through Europe. We thought it was only fitting to keep it."

While the text says "convertible" it applies to all 05's.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:29 PM
mborto
1st Gear
Hmmm, interesting, thanks. Not sure I'm crazy about the popping sound but if it's supposed to be there. I tried to search for "popping" or "backfiring" before asking but got nothing, will try "backfire".

Thanks again,
MB

Old 01-14-2005, 12:34 PM
indimini
4th Gear
If you do a "search all threads" and use "backf*" as your search text, you will get a bunch of hits. Two in particular I saw address the 05 exhaust note.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-14-2005, 02:16 PM
amorican
4th Gear
Wow

I am actually really sick of people asking or complaining about this.

Its a sports car people, and it sounds cool, and its nothing, you should really hear my '85 Porsche 944, now thats a burble.

Go to a sports car race once in a while...

TJM

Old 01-14-2005, 03:20 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Note he said Pops when accelerates. You will hear a burble between shifts and when decelerating but, I don't think you should hear Popping when on the gas.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Kendel72
4th Gear
I used to have an accord with a Dc Sport exhaust on it and it was sorta bumble bee-ish and it is really the quietest exhaust so with that being said I do not like the loud obnoxius sound of most exhaust's these day but the factory 05 MCS is awesome, It is a little rumbly but not too loud becuase I would hate to be running around sounding like a teeanger at 32 years old .

Old 01-15-2005, 10:15 AM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kendel72
I used to have an accord with a Dc Sport exhaust on it and it was sorta bumble bee-ish and it is really the quietest exhaust so with that being said I do not like the loud obnoxius sound of most exhaust's these day but the factory 05 MCS is awesome, It is a little rumbly but not too loud becuase I would hate to be running around sounding like a teeanger at 32 years old .
YEOW! I will be 62 and love my Magna Flow. After straight pipes on my '01 Vette--my MCS still sounds tame. Maybe, because I was a teenager back in the 50's and the early 60's I got use to hearing cars(hot rods) that sounded like cars. Have fun. Nick

Old 01-15-2005, 10:25 AM
LombardStreet
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apexer
Note he said Pops when accelerates. You will hear a burble between shifts and when decelerating but, I don't think you should hear Popping when on the gas.
I agree. My 05 MCS makes wonderful burbling noises (one of the Tillie's other nicknames is "Jabberwock") when I let off the gas. But nothing like a "pop...pop...pop" on acceleration. I think this is definitely not the same thing, and seems to me like it should be cause for concern.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mborto
Had my MCS '05 for a month, (live in Grand Cayman). After the first week, I noticed that when I turned it on first thing in the morning, the rev's would drop very low, and it felt like it would stall. Then it would jump back up and would be fine for the rest of the day, unless it sat for over eight hours, then it would have the same problem.
Here in Michigan (and northern states where there's actually a summer and winter, lol) in the summer, the MCS's almost never start the first crank. I believe it's due to a poor cold-start routine that relates to ambient temperature, but could also relate to summer vs. winter fuel blends. Being that you live in a tropical climate, you may only have summer blend fuel, and thus you may always have the cold-start problem. Do not listen to the dealership; put in at least 91 octane, like the engine is designed for. I just consider the summertime cold-start issue a quirk, and deal with it. It sucks, but I always know it'll start the 2nd time It sounds like yours actually starts the first time, albiet reluctantly. Take it as a blessing and run with it!

Old 01-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Kendel72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DoubleNick
YEOW! I will be 62 and love my Magna Flow. After straight pipes on my '01 Vette--my MCS still sounds tame. Maybe, because I was a teenager back in the 50's and the early 60's I got use to hearing cars(hot rods) that sounded like cars. Have fun. Nick
No offense Nick I was mainly referring to the ones that ridae around with about 100hp hondas reving them up at everybody and sounding like bumble-bees, The MCS does give off a little bit deeper rumble with an aftermarket exhaust but I just cant get over that Bumble-bee sound

Old 01-15-2005, 12:03 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my 05 was new - it has almost 11k on it now - it too started with some difficulty; almost stalled, but with a blip from the throttle all was just fine. This phenomenon has completely disappeared, for whatever reason. The car sits in an unheated garage overnight, but even when temps get down to around 20 degrees f, the car starts without hesitation and idles just fine.

The pop-pop-pop is part of any off-throttle position sound 'designed in' by BMW/Mini. It is supposed to sound like a motorcycle when the throttle is closed. However, if you are experiencing a noise similar to this while accelerating as you state, it might be ping-ping-ping, in which case I'd make sure you are using the highest octane gasoline available.