Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Do i need to replace the block?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 04:04 PM
Dumbledore
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do i need to replace the block?

Hi everybody, I just bought my first mini and I need some advice. I bought this 2011 cooper s with a broken timing chain thinking that I could get away with replacing the head. After tearing it down and getting the head off I noticed a spot in the block near the crankshaft gear where the timing chain scraped off some metal. I'm not sure if this is serious damage or if I can just replace the timing components and put everything back together. Any advice?

Old 06-24-2019, 07:02 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
That appears more severe than just some metal got scraped off the block.

I'm not familiar with the Mini engine block. For an engine rebuild I prefer to start with a block with no issues other than maybe the cylinders are worn but not so much a small clean up bore can't restore the geometry and the correct (over) sized pistons/rings sourced.

How much trouble would it be to come by another and in better shape block?

If you use that block you must be sure you clean the block and this means all oil and water/coolant passages to ensure there is no metal debris anywhere. With engine rebuilding cleanliness is critical.

The following users liked this post:
Dumbledore (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 PM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Something is very wrong here; that oil pump gear looks damaged as well.

Dumbledore (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:55 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by mkov608
Something is very wrong here; that oil pump gear looks damaged as well.
Good catch, although I'm seeing the chain to be damaged.

regarding the bock, If the oil dip stick can be inserted without much force, I'd say, clean up the block and continue. I've a block with a similar damage and luckily the valves were unharmed.

I also just picked up a 2012 countryman S with a no start issue, we'll see how bad it is

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...aboo-game.html

Dumbledore (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:25 PM
Dumbledore
Neutral
Originally Posted by RockC
That appears more severe than just some metal got scraped off the block.

I'm not familiar with the Mini engine block. For an engine rebuild I prefer to start with a block with no issues other than maybe the cylinders are worn but not so much a small clean up bore can't restore the geometry and the correct (over) sized pistons/rings sourced.

How much trouble would it be to come by another and in better shape block?

If you use that block you must be sure you clean the block and this means all oil and water/coolant passages to ensure there is no metal debris anywhere. With engine rebuilding cleanliness is critical.
Thanks for the response. I could get a new block for a reasonable price, but I'd rather not go through the trouble if it's not necessary. Ill make sure to clean everything really good.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Dumbledore
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Good catch, although I'm seeing the chain to be damaged.

regarding the bock, If the oil dip stick can be inserted without much force, I'd say, clean up the block and continue. I've a block with a similar damage and luckily the valves were unharmed.

I also just picked up a 2012 countryman S with a no start issue, we'll see how bad it is

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...aboo-game.html
Thanks for the response. Sounds like you got very lucky. My valves are busted. The head is going off to the machine shop tomorrow.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Dumbledore
Thanks for the response. I could get a new block for a reasonable price, but I'd rather not go through the trouble if it's not necessary. Ill make sure to clean everything really good.
When I got a block, cast iron block, back from hot tanking I used a rifle cleaning kit to run a brush (different sized brush depending) with a residue free cleaner through every oil passage/oil hole. In the block. In the crank. You must be sure there is no metal debris anywhere when you go to assemble the engine.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:14 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
First Mini? Gonna do the entire rebuild yourself? If you already have the head off, you probably have enough rebuild expertise to handle the Mini differences. Be prepared for some serious "special tool" expenses. All are described in the online repair instructions --- https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ or the Bentley manual. Both are excellent sources for the DIY'r. With busted valves, you might have dented pistons too. Then, cylinder walls --- do they need rebore or can you get away with a good hone? And https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select has our illustrated parts lists for when you need parts.

If I had your engine, and really wanted to fix it, I'd start by tearing it down and visually inspecting for damage that affects the placement / function of replaceable parts. Then think about cost of needed replacement parts, machine shop labor, and value of a finished product. Chances are, the cost to fix will be more than book value. Not a good investment, but a great project if you have the dollars to throw at it. Be sure to get pricing for all needed parts BEFORE buying any, Mini stuff seems to be extremely costly.