Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Replacing VANOS Solenoids and Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 02:40 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Replacing VANOS Solenoids and Chain Tensioner

I am looking at the task of replacing my VANOS solenoids, and possibly the timing chain tensioner.

Question: When replacing the timing chain tensioner, how important is the step of pinning the flywheel? If I am only pulling and replacing the tensioner, what are the chances of the chain jumping a tooth? It seems to me that there shouldn’t be that much slack in the chain so that it would be that prone to jumping a tooth...

Old 03-17-2019, 06:25 PM
CantComplain
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just trying to come at this with a perspective based on logic, I agree with you. It will definitely not jump a tooth anywhere: it would be impossible unless you were turning the engine over somehow. The pin in the flywheel is part of the timing process but this is just a subset of that work and shouldn't need it. That would be my vote anyway.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

edit: I'm assuming by solenoid you mean the actual cylindrical solenoid with the sludge strainer in the head and not the VANOS device on the CAM(s). THAT would definitely trigger the full timing sequence including the flywheel

Last edited by CantComplain; 03-17-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:37 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by CantComplain
just trying to come at this with a perspective based on logic, I agree with you. It will definitely not jump a tooth anywhere: it would be impossible unless you were turning the engine over somehow. The pin in the flywheel is part of the timing process but this is just a subset of that work and shouldn't need it. That would be my vote anyway.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

edit: I'm assuming by solenoid you mean the actual cylindrical solenoid with the sludge strainer in the head and not the VANOS device on the CAM(s). THAT would definitely trigger the full timing sequence including the flywheel
Yes, the oil control solenoids, not the cam actuators.

I figured for the tensioner, just pull the old one out, stick the new on in, and be done. But, if I have to lift the car, find the timing mark on the flywheel, lock it, then pull the tensioner, it will add much more to the job than might be needed.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:11 PM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Absolutely no need to set the flywheel pin in if all your'e doing is replacing the tensioner. Those cams and crank will stay in place quite well unless you actually mechanically try to move them while the chain is loose. The direction of the force isn't applicable towards moving the cams nor the crank in this case.

The following users liked this post:
njaremka (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:16 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Yupetc
Absolutely no need to set the flywheel pin in if all your'e doing is replacing the tensioner. Those cams and crank will stay in place quite well unless you actually mechanically try to move them while the chain is loose. The direction of the force isn't applicable towards moving the cams nor the crank in this case.
Thanks! Makes me feel a little better about what I want to do.