Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

try to reset the window dipping.. now window not responding and key fob cannot lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:55 AM
remotecontrol
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try to reset the window dipping.. now window not responding and key fob cannot lock

HELP!
i have a R52 2008 with 130k miles on the clock.
my drivers side window dipping occasionally didnt work recently so i searched the forum to reset it.. i hold the window down for 10 secs and voila..
a few hours later the window now not responding at all, plus the key fob cannot lock the car. unlocking is fine thru key but lock can only be done thru a turn in the key hole.
lucky the driver side window now is 1/8 inch down so i can open and close door but will be in trouble if it rains..
any insight and help pls
r

Old 03-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move this to the Stock Problems/Issues section. Should get more views.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 AM
remotecontrol
2nd Gear
haha i searched online and there is a video to teach me to give the door a whack and the window work back again! however the key fob still cannot lock the car.
the strange thing is, when i unlock the car using the key hole, i pressed the key fob unlock and the interior come up, meaning the car can get the signal but just wont unlock??

Old 03-10-2018, 08:00 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like a faulty body control module. I'm in the same boat, it's a royal PITA.

I found a used one for $100, and I'll try installing it without getting it coded, although I'm fairly certain it communicates with the ECU and has to be coded numbers matching.

That being said, I've been procrastinating the swap for a few months because I'm not very hopeful it will fix my weird electrical gremlins, but I'll give it a shot for you tomorrow. I'll do my best to update tomorrow night.

Keep looking though, the only reason I determined it was the BCM was because I talked to the r53 techs at MINI North Scottsdale and when we connected my OBDII to the adaptation reset computer, it wasn't able to read. I can't read check engine codes, my windows roll down randomly in the middle of the night, my door unlock doesn't work on the passenger door or trunk, and comfort close doesn't work at all.

Whacking the door resets a sticky window motor. If your window isn't struggling to go up when it works, you should be okay.

The most definitive solution is to pay the robbers at MINI $100-something to plug their diagnostic computer in and analyze the system. It's ridiculous, but if coding my used BCM to match my ECU doesn't work, that's what I'll be saving up for next.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 03-10-2018, 08:03 PM
remotecontrol
2nd Gear
thanks sarom058! good luck and looking forward to your update.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:19 PM
dw1
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same issues as OP, window dip and remote door locks not functional. Unfortunately in my case it coincided with a program update done at the Mini on the Mack event to enable express down option that exists in the BCM but not factory activated. I didn't catch the fact those features were deactivated in the process, ugh. Follow up with 'vendor' did not provide any help.

So to OP, did you get your issues solved and also, more info on the holding the window switch down for 10 seconds procedure, where did you find it, etc. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:29 PM
deepgrey
5th Gear
Received 339 Likes on 261 Posts
It sounds like a bad file was flashed to your BCM. Enabling express down shouldn't disable anything else.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:11 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Originally Posted by dw1
Same issues as OP, window dip and remote door locks not functional. Unfortunately in my case it coincided with a program update done at the Mini on the Mack event to enable express down option that exists in the BCM but not factory activated. I didn't catch the fact those features were deactivated in the process, ugh. Follow up with 'vendor' did not provide any help.

So to OP, did you get your issues solved and also, more info on the holding the window switch down for 10 seconds procedure, where did you find it, etc. Thanks in advance.
I thought all MINI’s had one-touch (express?) down from the factory and one touch up was what is usually disabled. Is express down different?

A general procedure for many cars to reset the window limits is to open and hold the switch for about 5-10 seconds, then close and hold for the switch for 5-10 seconds.

Regarding your door locks, none of the locks work, or just a specific one, and/or only lock or unlock? Also, remote only or the toggle switch too?

What year is your car? The pairing method for the remotes depends on the year.