Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Brake booster DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 12:04 PM
Mudhen
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake booster DIY?

Anyone know of a brake booster DIY for an R53? I'm in the middle of replacing mine and about to throw a wrench through the wall...

I used the book, struggled my a$$ off to get the old one out and now (trying to be delicate and not force it) can't get the new one tipped/twirled/twisted to fit in. I'd really like to just get my favorite cutting disc out and chop the cowl open - that'd make it easy.

Anyone on here do one themselves?

Thanks!!

Pat

Old 12-31-2017, 02:07 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Knowing how tight the area is, did you pull the air box, ecu and the engine side shroud from in front of the booster?

Old 12-31-2017, 05:36 PM
Mudhen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Knowing how tight the area is, did you pull the air box, ecu and the engine side shroud from in front of the booster?
Yup. The only thing from the book I didn't understand was regarding removing the wiper arm. I pulled all the bolts I could find though...it moved about a half inch. Hmph.

(don't mind the strap...after bending the brake lines all up out of the way I'm just using it to pull them even further out of my way)

Old 01-01-2018, 04:59 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Somebody like Way Motors or Detroit Tuned may know some tricks as they both not only sell MINI parts but also repair them in full service shops.

Where is the new unit hitting when you tilt it?

Old 01-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Mudhen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Somebody like Way Motors or Detroit Tuned may know some tricks as they both not only sell MINI parts but also repair them in full service shops.

Where is the new unit hitting when you tilt it?
Basically hitting the cowl/hood opening at the top and the pushrod is jammed into the firewall.

I did just get it by doing exactly what they said not to do...I pried the pushed a little bit at a time until I could get it through the firewall. I also moved the wiring harness out of the way at the bottom - that may have helped some.

Hopefully I didn't damage it - find out tomorrow I guess!

Pat

Old 01-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Received 215 Likes on 145 Posts
Is it exactly the same as the old one? Dumb question but sometimes a slight variation can cause issues.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Mudhen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Boostmaster
Is it exactly the same as the old one? Dumb question but sometimes a slight variation can cause issues.
I wasn't able to get an exact check on it because I'd already installed it but it's either the same or really close.

Is it true that it's not possible to bleed the brakes on these? Need to go to the dealer?

Pedal is still a little spongy on it; will bleed them again but hoping to not have to make the dealer trip.

Thanks again.

Pat

Old 01-10-2018, 11:04 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Is it true that it's not possible to bleed the brakes on these? Need to go to the dealer?

It is more than possible to bleed the brakes on these, despite there is ABS too.

Do note that the boost assist make the pedal feel spongy that is typical in most cars.

The following users liked this post:
Mudhen (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Mudhen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S

It is more than possible to bleed the brakes on these, despite there is ABS too.

Do note that the boost assist make the pedal feel spongy that is typical in most cars.
Thanks!

Ya, the ABS is what I was wondering about. I've bled the ones on my '05 before but I've never separated any lines between the master cylinder and ABS box. Only down wind so to speak.