Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Am I in for a big reapir cost? Coolant in oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 11:47 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I in for a big reapir cost? Coolant in oil

Hi all,

I have an R53 with 137K miles on it. Starting about 2 weeks ago, I noticed the fan was coming on full speed after parking the car. I thought it was due to running the AC or circling the parking structure to find a spot.

Three days ago, I was in a drive through and heard the fan running full speed again. Then I realized the temp gauge was all the way up and the red light was on. I immediately shut off the engine and waited for it to cool down (not an easy task when you're at a drive through with nowhere to go!) before driving back home. Once the engine was cool, I checked the coolant tank and it was completely empty. Filled it with water and drove it to work (~20 miles) the next day. Before coming back home, checked the coolant tank in the evening and it was empty again! Took it to a local MINI mechanic and was told that it was the coolant expansion tank leaking at the seams. Got a new one installed (this is the 3rd one so far since I've owned the car; I'm the original owner).

Today, after checking the oil level, I wanted to add some (have been doing it regularly) and saw a milky sludge under the oil fill cap. It's like goo in structure. Looking inside the engine through the oil fill hole, I can see that the side walls are also covered with this material. Based on experience with some of the other cars I've owned, this looks like coolant in the oil, which could be from a blown head gasket or a cracked head.

After reading some threads here, it was suggested to start the car with the coolant tank cap open and see if there were air bubbles indicative of a blown head gasket. What I saw was drips from the top of the tank into the tank (if that makes sense). Are those the bubbles that everyone is referring to? Link to the movie

Just wanted to ask others' opinion as to what this could be while preparing myself for the not-so-cheap repair cost. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Am I in for a big reapir cost? Coolant in oil-20170527_221849420_ios.jpg  

Last edited by volki; 05-28-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:15 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
If you're lucky it could be a failed oil cooler. If not, head gasket. Bubbles would come up from the bottom of the tank, indicating combustion gasses entering the cooling system.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:23 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
If you're lucky it could be a failed oil cooler. If not, head gasket. Bubbles would come up from the bottom of the tank, indicating combustion gasses entering the cooling system.
This. I know there's ways to diagnose the oil cooler, but I don't remember them.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Check the threads in this section, there are a couple recent ones addressing your problem

The following users liked this post:
volki (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:00 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Here's an update.

I took it to a local shop about a month ago and left the car there for couple of days for testing. Compression test results were fine, and the pressure test for the coolant system didn't show any leaks (left connected over the weekend).

Since nothing indicated head gasket directly at that point, I decided to get the oil cooler replaced. I've been driving it for the last 3-4 weeks and checking coolant, as well as the oil levels along with checking oil fill cap for any "muddy" stuff. So far, the oil fill cap looks fine and there no particles or color change on the dipstick.

However, the car is still losing coolant. I'm adding distilled water once a week to get the level up to the max line. Part of me wants to solve this leak, while I also say to myself "hey, as long as it doesn't go into the engine and mix with coolant, it's fine".

Anyone had a similar experience with a mystery coolant leak? The expansion tank was replaced already by the way.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2017, 03:04 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I am thinking the water pump. You can have a slow leak that is running down the front of the engine.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:17 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Add some dye to the coolant and search with a Uv light in a few days. Should see where the leak is coming from. Whether you want to repair it or not is up to you.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Just to give closure to this thread... it turned out to be a crack in the head. After ~$2,700 (included some other items in addition to the head, head gasket, bolts, etc), back to normal (at least for the last 2 weeks; keeping an eye on everything).

Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you're happy with the repair! Motor on.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:25 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
What is ballpark on the head replacement? Like to know for future reference.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:32 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
What is ballpark on the head replacement? Like to know for future reference.
Mine, including the head, cost me right around $1k. Could definitely be done cheaper. I replaced engine mount, guides, and all gaskets - not just head gasket.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:46 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
yep probably about a grand or so, if that is what it needs

Old 09-13-2017, 08:54 PM
volki
3rd Gear
I'm guessing the $1K price is for someone doing the job himself/herself, because every shop around me charges arm and a leg for head gasket replacement.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:31 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by volki
every shop around me charges arm and a leg for head gasket replacement.
Only an arm and a leg? At least the shops don't take a man's head for a head gasket replacement.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:37 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Correct - did mine myself. It's a pretty straight forward operation.