Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Weird overheating issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 11:30 PM
ellysab
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird overheating issue?

Hi guys, I drive a 2006 Cooper S-

So I just got home and I noticed when I pulled into my driveway my car was making a whirring noise almost like it was the fan but it sounded a little different, it shut off when I turned the car off. About 30 minutes later I drive to the gas station and when I pull in my battery light came on, I didn't want to turn the car off worried that it might not turn back on because of a battery issue. Well, I come back out from the store (was gone maybe 2 minutes) and the car is overheating so I turned on the heaters full blast, made it about 2 blocks and the check engine light turned on and I lost power.. I had to coast the rest of the way back...

I remembered that I was low on coolant so I just put more coolant in.
It went back to normal temp but its still making interesting noises.

Im going to let it cool all the way back down and recheck the coolant again and turn it back on and let it idle and see what happens.

So my question is, is this just because I was low on coolant? Or is this another issue? Also why did the battery light turn on?

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:15 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues section.

If the CEL came on then there should be a code provided. Knowing what code is involved helps us with long distance diagnosing. If the car overheated you may have warped the head. Be sure to monitor the oil cap and if you see a chocolate milkshake substance on it then you have coolant in the oil.

Could have a water pump issue. How many miles on the car?