Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Loud CLICKING Air Conditioner / Heater

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 12:37 PM
lukeiswho
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud CLICKING Air Conditioner / Heater (( V I D E O ))

Hello all,

First time poster. My wife and I have a 2012 Clubman S with an odd "issue." I've searched a few of the forums looking for fixes or even a diagnosis. But here goes...

I live in Phoenix, so the air conditioning is always on. Occasionally, but generally only once in a single journey, there is a really loud clicking noise coming from the right side of the dash. It doesn't last for very long, so it's hard to pin point, but I'd put it somewhere behind the glove box, or within the passenger footwell.

I've read other posts about what sounds like a baseball card in bicycle spokes turning out to be a caught wire, or a pebble in a fan / blower... this doesn't 'appear' to be the issue. I feel like it could be an actuator trying to change the airflow, but is stuck. It clicks loudly, but only for 6 - 8 seconds at a time, I'd estimate. (Maybe 30 or so loud clicks?) It's a very plastic-y, mechanical type click. Changing the speed of the fan, and even turning off the AC doesn't seem to effect it.

It's been happening off and on for about a year now. My wife drives this car generally, so it's hard for me to diagnose possible contributors, but I have noticed it occurring when we get off the freeway and are driving slower on the side roads... possibly due to changes in the load on the engine? It doesn't appear to have a large effect on the AC itself, but it can be really startling when driving at night, for example... even with the music on pretty damn loud. It has become more frequent over the past few weeks-months, sometimes happening 2-3 times during my wife's ~30min commute to work. The AC audibly gets quiet about 1-2 minutes before the clicking starts, then blows full air afterwards.

All suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Loud CLICKING Air Conditioner / Heater-mini-img_1772.jpg  

Last edited by lukeiswho; 09-16-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:29 PM
lukeiswho
Neutral
My wife was able to sense it about to happen on her drive home today and happened to catch it with her phone! Take a look/listen...

Old 09-16-2016, 06:46 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Just like you mentioned, sounds like a vent actuator to me. Not a common problem on these cars (though it is on my Mustang).

Old 09-17-2016, 10:53 PM
lukeiswho
Neutral
Thanks for the reply! Are there any tutorials on how to reach the actuator? Figured I'd give it a go.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:22 PM
lukeiswho
Neutral
Well, to anyone searching for this issue online...

I bought and replaced the "Fresh Air Recirculating Actuator" (Part# 64113422659). It lives under the dash, directly behind the glove box. It didn't require taking any panels off, but I did remove the inner air filter cover, as it took up a decent amount of space.

It was one hell of a contortionist act to FIND the actuator... and a small achievement to actually remove and replace it. In the end, I was sat outside the car, essentially hugging the dashboard, with my right arm snaked underneath the passenger side. I used my micro tool kit to sneak a short handled Torx key up there (I think it was a T20 size). There are 2 screws holding it on, a pinch-and-release power cable, and one registration peg it sits on. (See the photo below, there are 3 holes, only 2 of them are for screws. The peg is on top, towards the front of the car). The way I got it off was by removing the screws and letting it dangle on the power cable. Then, with my right hand, I gripped the body of the actuator, and used my thumb and forefinger to pinch off the power connector. It seemed impossible at the time, because of the angle... but it was actually easier than I thought. Sort of like opening a can of soda with one hand.

Anyway, reverse the process to install, curse, sweat heavily, and you're done! My wife has been driving the car for 3 days since, and no issues.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:32 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Someone else has changed this part after having the click noise problem and fixed it.
I have the same problem but the noise I think comes from behind the speedo and not from de glove box...

Old 01-15-2020, 01:48 PM
deliocanela
Neutral
Can you send some picture of how I can I replace it

Old 03-27-2020, 01:56 AM
John Davish
Hey , not to be panic about those air conditioner heat problems. I also faced such types of problem then I got the solution after ac repair but you have to choose the best ac repair service center .

Old 11-24-2020, 08:14 AM
Edgardo Vargas Melendez
Neutral
Having the same issue

Originally Posted by lukeiswho
Hello all,

First time poster. My wife and I have a 2012 Clubman S with an odd "issue." I've searched a few of the forums looking for fixes or even a diagnosis. But here goes...

I live in Phoenix, so the air conditioning is always on. Occasionally, but generally only once in a single journey, there is a really loud clicking noise coming from the right side of the dash. It doesn't last for very long, so it's hard to pin point, but I'd put it somewhere behind the glove box, or within the passenger footwell.

I've read other posts about what sounds like a baseball card in bicycle spokes turning out to be a caught wire, or a pebble in a fan / blower... this doesn't 'appear' to be the issue. I feel like it could be an actuator trying to change the airflow, but is stuck. It clicks loudly, but only for 6 - 8 seconds at a time, I'd estimate. (Maybe 30 or so loud clicks?) It's a very plastic-y, mechanical type click. Changing the speed of the fan, and even turning off the AC doesn't seem to effect it.

It's been happening off and on for about a year now. My wife drives this car generally, so it's hard for me to diagnose possible contributors, but I have noticed it occurring when we get off the freeway and are driving slower on the side roads... possibly due to changes in the load on the engine? It doesn't appear to have a large effect on the AC itself, but it can be really startling when driving at night, for example... even with the music on pretty damn loud. It has become more frequent over the past few weeks-months, sometimes happening 2-3 times during my wife's ~30min commute to work. The AC audibly gets quiet about 1-2 minutes before the clicking starts, then blows full air afterwards.

All suggestions welcomed. Thanks!
Im having this issue but I dont find the acuator anywhere after following your instructions!

Old 11-24-2020, 08:17 AM
Edgardo Vargas Melendez
Neutral
Originally Posted by deliocanela
Can you send some picture of how I can I replace it
Found how to replace it? I cant find the actuator after following the instructions, I hear it very loud behind the glove box!

Old 01-29-2021, 12:47 PM
Bossworld
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got this same issue on my 2010 R60 Countryman.

I've had a look through ISTA and it seems there are two actuators, one for fresh air/recirc (as per the picture in this thread), and another for the heat control actuator.

I'm worried it could be the latter which is meant to be completely inaccessible without stripping out the dashboard. Mine only makes the noise if I try to change the heat direction to the windscreen and back again, which made me think it unlikely it's the internal/external air. That said, I've bought the part and ready to give it a go (the one near the glovebox)

Old 01-30-2021, 03:16 AM
Bossworld
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully this helps someone else in the future - transpires after removing the glovebox and finding the part (though not removing it) my issue is definitely the other actuator that's clicking.

You will need T20 and T30 screwdriver bits to remove the glovebox and trim. Following instructions are for a right-hand drive car, reverse for those of you over the pond.

1) Remove the trim to the upper left of the glovebox itself (just beneath the airbag switch)
2) Remove the two T30 bolts securing the trim underneath the glovebox (passenger footwell).
3) Remove the trim from underneath the glovebox (just clips out)
4) Open your glovebox, use a screwdriver or sharp blade to prise the light out from the right hand side. Disconnect
5) Undo the three visible T20s from the top interior of the glovebox. Undo the additional T20 to the left of the glovebox (near the trim you removed in step 1)
6) There is a further T30 on the left hand side of the glovebox assembly, and from memory, I think another one further down on the left, and one on the lower right.
7) Once all removed, the glovebox simply pulls away.
8) The unit itself, is buried behind the glovebox, as alluded to earlier. Very difficult to take a pic but please see below for approx location.

If you were somehow able to remove the airbox assembly (unsure where else it's bolted to), or ideally, the footwell light (appears to be attached with two rear-mounted screws), you'd clearly have a much happier time. In the end, I didn't remove mine as it's not causing the issue

Old 01-17-2022, 07:49 AM
VoBoy
Neutral
Thank you for updating this thread! I've been putting this off because I could not find where this thing was. Glad I bookmarked this thread and revisited it today!
Originally Posted by Bossworld
Hopefully this helps someone else in the future - transpires after removing the glovebox and finding the part (though not removing it) my issue is definitely the other actuator that's clicking.

You will need T20 and T30 screwdriver bits to remove the glovebox and trim. Following instructions are for a right-hand drive car, reverse for those of you over the pond.

1) Remove the trim to the upper left of the glovebox itself (just beneath the airbag switch)
2) Remove the two T30 bolts securing the trim underneath the glovebox (passenger footwell).
3) Remove the trim from underneath the glovebox (just clips out)
4) Open your glovebox, use a screwdriver or sharp blade to prise the light out from the right hand side. Disconnect
5) Undo the three visible T20s from the top interior of the glovebox. Undo the additional T20 to the left of the glovebox (near the trim you removed in step 1)
6) There is a further T30 on the left hand side of the glovebox assembly, and from memory, I think another one further down on the left, and one on the lower right.
7) Once all removed, the glovebox simply pulls away.
8) The unit itself, is buried behind the glovebox, as alluded to earlier. Very difficult to take a pic but please see below for approx location.

If you were somehow able to remove the airbox assembly (unsure where else it's bolted to), or ideally, the footwell light (appears to be attached with two rear-mounted screws), you'd clearly have a much happier time. In the end, I didn't remove mine as it's not causing the issue