Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

AC/Vent issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 AM
hooter
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AC/Vent issues

Couple of issues with my 2007 MCS. I purchased this car last spring and while I have been enjoying it, there are a couple of issues that I would like to resolve.

AC - I can set the AC to blow at my feet or at my face but for some reason, I can't do both. I can hear some kinda of actuator motor going when I switch between the vent settings but when I set the vents to blow in both places, only the footwell vents work. Otherwise, the AC/heat is fine.

Fresh air vents. I am assuming like my other cars that if I have the recirc off, then I should be getting a little bit of air movement from the vents. What is happening is that if I drive with the windows closed, I get absolutely no air movement from any of the vents and the cabin gets stuffy really quickly. I would prefer not to have to drive with the windows down.

Does anyone have any clues as to what I should start looking at?

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:49 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Hooter

I believe you need the fan on at least the 1st speed to get any air movement at all.
On my '02, I set the foot/face/demist control just a little bit off the marked settings - try that.
I do find the entire A/C - heat system to be quite 'gentle' compared to some other cars I've owned - it works well enough, though.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:53 AM
hooter
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if that was the case. That just leaves the vent issue.

I was doing more reading and it might be issues with the vent actuators deactivating? Does that seem right to any of you?

The AC is fine when it blows. Its just that I have to choose either the face or the feet, not both..

There is a rectangular opening in the battery box that seems to go into the passenger side car through the firewall. It is surrounded by a rubber seal but seems to be blocked off. Does anyone know what that is supposed to be? Apparently the PO had someone work on the car who was less than knowledgeable of minis and did some sketchy things that I have had to correct.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:03 AM
janeintoronto
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem in my 2019 Cooper. It does not have the automatic climate control which allows fresh air in when excess humidity is detected. With no fan on, air hotter than outside temperature enters, slightly. I just want filtered ram air, I don't want to turn on air conditioning or fan and use battery. To my horror, a service guy at MINI said that all cabin vents are closed, regardless of how one sets the twirling ****, unless one puts the fan on. Then what on earth are the twirl ***** for? Oh, he said, to direct the air or to tailor the amount for each occupant. I agree with the above writer who expected to find, as with all cars he's owned, that opening the cabin vents will allow in filtered ram air without having to put on a fan.
Once in rain, when I could not open windows, I nearly passed out. Does this make any sense to design a car where turning on the fan is mandatory? IS the above service guy right about this?

Old 05-04-2020, 07:34 PM
j911brick
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever get this sorted out?