Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High Pressure Fuel Pump PRICE GOUGE (HPFP)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 12:40 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thesilkiest
So... it appears the business model is Mini realizes there is a subpar part that they have put in their product. Then instead of prioritizing their customer's experience they see it as an opportunity to overcharge for a part as a cash grab? Ludicrous! We're considering selling our Mini and never again dealing with such low quality service and questionable business practices. Of course we will make sure our friends also know of this experience with this co. I hear BMW shares the same HPFP in some of their models and has the same practices as well.
Actually, I would imagine the supplier increased their price to make up for the loss because of the warranty/recall.

If you originally sold an item in volume for a low price, then that entire run ended up being defective and you have to buy them all back, plus pay for labor, you'll need to make a profit somewhere.

Ask Takata how their SRS business is doing.

That being said, I agree that it's ridiculous. I also think it's ridiculous that MINI will cover it under warranty for one year but not another, even though they use the exact same pump/part number.

This is my first MINI and it will be my last. I enjoy the car when it's right, and because I do all my own work I can actually afford the car. But I've NEVER recommended a MINI to anyone who's asked about it.

The following users liked this post:
thesilkiest (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 12:53 PM
thesilkiest
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hidperf
Actually, I would imagine the supplier increased their price to make up for the loss because of the warranty/recall.

If you originally sold an item in volume for a low price, then that entire run ended up being defective and you have to buy them all back, plus pay for labor, you'll need to make a profit somewhere.

Ask Takata how their SRS business is doing.

That being said, I agree that it's ridiculous. I also think it's ridiculous that MINI will cover it under warranty for one year but not another, even though they use the exact same pump/part number.

This is my first MINI and it will be my last. I enjoy the car when it's right, and because I do all my own work I can actually afford the car. But I've NEVER recommended a MINI to anyone who's asked about it.

I thought that it was a recoup attempt as well in an effort to pay for their recalls and (but didn't want to go and on with my rant) Doing so, of course, doesn't make it a decent practice... and this inflated price does not consider a balance of the bottom line combined with customer experience. Rather it leans towards making others pay out for their inept decision for choosing this part (Mini manufactured or not) and for approving their "compromised" design. Either way it is a pathetic business practice.

Agreed... This is our last Mini also and I was a BMW fan but I wonder if it is consistent across the board as they r under the same umbrella. There will be no 2 series for me in the future.

Agree with your comment about the same part # and arbitrary choice to omit certain years.
My wife has been getting the run around of course. Dealer says talk to Mini Canada... she gets thru to Mini Canada and they say to talk to Dealer. We should know in about a week or so.

Also the choice of mfr for the part is also their decision, Correct? I could care less if it's Bosch or Siemens or BMW that they sourced the part from. 2k is a joke especially when they know it's a common issue.

Specifically this practice shows Mini's lack of goodwill and customer appreciation and even worse assuming the vulture position for a cash grab when the mistake is theirs.

Last Mini for us and will definitely advise my circle of friends and their friends against even considering purchasing one. May even sell it after we get this resolved. Shitty experience and would rather just be done with these clowns.

Last edited by thesilkiest; 03-14-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 PM
thesilkiest
2nd Gear
SUCK IT MINI! Don't need your pretentious over inflated Gucci HPFP and if I get a bunk one I will just order a 2nd one and still be way under what I would pay for it buying from you. Glad I have an ODB2 reader on the way. I'll be able to check the pressure of the refurbed one after I install it.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:50 PM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Someone figure out the issue. Then we will have one of the vendors repair/overhaul them for $150 and we can stop making someone rich.
Ha

thesilkiest (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:52 AM
thesilkiest
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by timski
Someone figure out the issue. Then we will have one of the vendors repair/overhaul them for $150 and we can stop making someone rich.
Ha
Amen Brother. Admittedly I am a cheap bastard but I would be willing to pay that $380 for a refurb or even that $625 at Pelican Parts for a genuine Mini one.
I have to draw the line at $1600 tho.

OR someone make a refurb kit and charge us $150 for it.

If Mini was a person and passed out I would draw penises on his forehead.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,772 Posts
We have the one direct from Genuine PSA (Peugeot) for around 499 right now, free ship. If we source something else I will let you know and post up asap. Right now those are what we can find and source.

n14 engines
https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2007-Cooper-R56-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/Engine/Fuel/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
thesilkiest (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by thesilkiest
Amen Brother. Admittedly I am a cheap bastard but I would be willing to pay that $380 for a refurb or even that $625 at Pelican Parts for a genuine Mini one.
I have to draw the line at $1600 tho.

OR someone make a refurb kit and charge us $150 for it.

If Mini was a person and passed out I would draw penises on his forehead.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:18 AM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
We have the one direct from Genuine PSA (Peugeot) for around 499 right now, free ship. If we source something else I will let you know and post up asap. Right now those are what we can find and source.

n14 engines
https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2007-Cooper-R56-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/Engine/Fuel/

I was going to post an eBay link to something similar, but you've already got it covered. As usual.

I'd have no problem purchasing this one, and actually considered it when MINI told me they'd cover 50% of the cost, which still ended up almost $800.00.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome. I was once a MINI owner on the outside of the car parts marketplace and looking for a good deal plus a place that will back things up if I ever have a problem.

So I am always looking out for a better deal while not being just a subpar part. If I find anything else I will post up.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-22-2018, 11:08 PM
thesilkiest
2nd Gear
Done! Inside of 3 hrs cuz some of the clips were a pain to deal with. Cautious not to break them but I sprayed some electronic cleaner in there and that seemed to free it up.
$380 part works. Will report if I run into any issues. I've got roadside assistance so not too worried ... LOL! Waiting to hear from Mini. Will give it a week and if I don't hear from them I'm gonna see if replacing the solenoid on my defective pump will repair it. If that is even possible.

Need to buy a set of crows feet metric and also 1/4 inch torx set. The space is so tight and all I had was a 3/8's torx that made it more cumbersome.

Such an easy job if you don't forget to plug in the cam sensor and hear it click?

STOKED!

Old 03-24-2018, 09:05 AM
thesilkiest
2nd Gear
Did about 100kms (60 miles or so) to get to Harbor Freight to pickup some tools last night.
Running very nicely. Hit 90 mph a few times... Did a few hard accels. All checks out nicely.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Robyn Turley Noe
Neutral
What about 2008 N14 motors?

Urgent help needed. Just had dealer put new timing chain, no change so they went to the vanos system. Total cost $4,000.
Worked 3 weeks, back at dealers in Cincinnati now they're saying high pressure injection pump, cost addl $2100.

Paperwork from previous original owner claims mini extended warranty to 10 years from Jan 31, 2012 when warranty report was ran year 2020 or 100,000 miles.
It has 92,000 on it

PLZ HELP ME. I FEEL TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF.
THX Robin Noe phone or text (513) 575-6422, Loveland ohio
Email: Robin.Turley.noe@gmail.com

QUOTE=PelicanParts.com;4196793]This is good news for N18 owners. Thanks for sharing the bulletin #.[/QUOTE]

Old 05-08-2019, 02:28 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Hello Robyn, just saw this, they extended the warranty on the newer models 2011+. They should have ran your vin to see if it was covered for the older ones, but i have not seen one for the older cars, just emission covered for Cali and certain states. If its not covered then you will have to get one of the aftermarket/genuine ones we sell and have an indy shop install it. Do you have that paperwork or can you repost it? I have one for my 2012, but not for my 2007.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-...ine/Fuel/Pump/

**If you get a new pump we do offer a lifetime replacement program now. *** https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-program.html

Last edited by ECSTuning; 07-31-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:35 PM
Skateboard2007
Neutral
HPFP 2007 Mini

Originally Posted by sub3622
I wonder if they would go down on price in the future
No joke, I got one on Walmart.com 156.00 and it worked!

Cenla Mini (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 02:42 PM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Robyn Turley Noe
Urgent help needed. Just had dealer put new timing chain, no change so they went to the vanos system. Total cost $4,000.
Worked 3 weeks, back at dealers in Cincinnati now they're saying high pressure injection pump, cost addl $2100.

Paperwork from previous original owner claims mini extended warranty to 10 years from Jan 31, 2012 when warranty report was ran year 2020 or 100,000 miles.
It has 92,000 on it

PLZ HELP ME. I FEEL TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF.
THX Robin Noe phone or text (513) 575-6422, Loveland ohio
Email: Robin.Turley.noe@gmail.com

QUOTE=PelicanParts.com;4196793]This is good news for N18 owners. Thanks for sharing the bulletin #.
[/QUOTE]

WOW, those prices are crazy.

Have you checked independent garages, as I'm sure they can do the work required for less even if they had to order parts from MINI dealer.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
"No joke, I got one on Walmart.com 156.00 and it worked!" We seen the same one sold on those places and others.

Just make sure its not the Oasis or other aftermarkets, we have seen those fail right down the road.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ebay-hpfp.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ce-needed.html

" Dec 20, 2017 ... (3) I am unable to figure out the role/place of the oil leak in my newest HPFP (the OSIAS pump from eBay/China) in its intermittent failure at less ..."

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...refresh-6.html

" I also happened to be eyeballing the two OSIAS pumps I have -- #3 which I never ..... One of the OSIAS pumps began to fail in my Mini, leaking oil all over the"
"The third HPFP is an OSIAS "new" pump (made in China, manufacturer worthless for warranty) and developed an oil leak in under 400 miles."

Last edited by ECSTuning; 08-19-2019 at 11:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ECSTuning:
cjv2 (06-17-2021), tnitties1 (03-04-2020)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I just had mine done a couple of weeks ago by Seattle Mini at no cost. Had a very negative experience with both MINIUSA and BMWNA about my turbo when it failed and they would not honor it.
This time around though, I worked with the service manager and even though my mileage is just a bit (9,000 miles), out of the extended warranty period, he worked some magic and they took care of it!
I’m very pleased with my more recent experiences at Seattle Mini, they are one of the good ones, it seems, my tune was not an issue or anything. And they were fully aware of it being there, and even when they needed to tinker with the ECU to get it and the pump to cooperate, they didn’t mess with the tune. Bonus!
I was mere minutes away from pulling the trigger on a refurbished one from Amazon before he called back to say “bring it in”. I am glad I didn’t because I have since seen several reviews and posts in various places about the eBay pumps failing within minutes of install, and even some of the more expensive refurbs like I was looking at are questionable at best, it seems. If the budget allows, I would not go cheap and order one from eBay or amazon if possible. It seems to be a safer bet to just order up a good one(so to speak, not that good if they keep failing,lol) from ECS or Way or another reliable vendor. Just my 2 cents

ECSTuning (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 07:12 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
If the budget allows, I would not go cheap and order one from eBay or amazon if possible. It seems to be a safer bet to just order up a good one(so to speak, not that good if they keep failing,lol) from ECS or Way or another reliable vendor. Just my 2 cents
Does the Bosch qualify as a good one?

Old 08-20-2019, 05:18 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Bosch is the OEM one for the 3rd design on the Gen2 Turbo MINIs. So that one is good.

The following 2 users liked this post by ECSTuning:
dmath (08-20-2019), knt (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 06:29 AM
dmath
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Bosch is the OEM one for the 3rd design on the Gen2 Turbo MINIs. So that one is good.
Thanks. I was hoping that was the case given the attractive price on your site.

ECSTuning (08-20-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 10:11 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Yeah what ECS said, lol.
Mini changed over from the Continental pumps used on the N14 and early N18’s (slightly different) to the Bosch pumps right around 3/2012 I believe. Mine was a 1/2012 build, so I have the old design.

dmath (08-22-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 07:33 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Fortunately, our two Minis are 11/2012 and 3/2013 builds, so new style HPFPs. But it's good to know that if one of them fails there is a reasonably priced replacement.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:49 PM
Robert Gosnell
Neutral
Don't buy after market

Yeah I bought a aftermarket 1 off of amazon about 3 weeks ago came from kimiss something like that for 180 bucks reviews were bad on the few that were on it should've listened to them got the pump installed it took 15 tries to get it going so was still cold starting even primed the fuel system before hand. Unfortunately don't have the money right now for a new OEM part work has been very slow so no looking for a used OEM part. If anyone has a suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Got until Nov.4th to send the aftermarket pump back but still got same symptoms misfire codes now high pressure at fuel rail that puts car into limp mode so just not driving it. I know it's that pump. Changed everything on car all sensors maf, map, O2, cam, all 4 ignition coils, thermostat, oh yeah fuel filter also haha. Did pressure check yesterday on low pump and it was around 72 psi which is 5 bar. So only other thing is that dang hpfp so any help on finding a decent priced 1 would be great thanks all and love reading these forums they do help a ton!!!

ECSTuning (07-31-2023)
Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 PM
thekevlarkid
1st Gear
Urgent fuel pump info

Hey, first and foremost, I have not read the contents of this thread other than the title and that it has recent activity. Therefore, please disregard if this isn’t relevant, is a repeat of already known information, etc. - but I am limited on time at the moment, but given settlement deadlines, I wanted to post this up right away. (A quick search for the class action case’s name showed no results, so this may be new-ish information)

Anyway… I just moved and have been going through the process of making sure my mail is all coming to the right address, but today I had a large envelope in the mail from my brother still residing in Indiana at my old house I sold to him (I am now in Portland). I am not sure when this packet originally showed up, but I do know that the information contained states there is a November 26, 2019 deadline. Details to follow...

The packet has information that applies to certain 2010 to 2012 Mini (R55, R56, R57, R58, R59) with N14 Engines that suffered from High Pressure Fuel Pump failure.

It’s a class action lawsuit - Boehm v. BMW of North America, Case Number 2:17-cv-12827.

As it states,
  1. “Class Members may be eligible for reimbursement of the full cost of replacement of up to two (2) failed high pressure fuel pumps, part number 13517588879, per vehicle per owner/lessee if:
    1. The replacement was made at a MINI Dealer; and
    2. The replacement occurred prior to the earlier of 10 years/120,000 miles from the Class Vehilce’s in-service date.*
  2. Class Members may be eligible for reimbursement of up to $1,300 per replacement of up to two (2) failed high pressure fuel pumps, part number 13517588879, per vehicle per owner/lessee if:
    1. The replacement was made at third-party repair shop; and
    2. The replacement occurred prior to the earlier of 10 years/120,000 miles from the Class Vehilce’s in-service date.*
So it looks like MINI may be reimbursing some of us who have had these issues. The packet I received has provided the following contact information I will pass along to the masses. I will create a new thread for this information here shortly, but until that point I wanted to make sure this had gotten out somewhere - please feel free to share!

Details of the suit can be found at www.fuelpumpsettlement.com - questions can be forwarded to 1-888-208-8099 - claim forms must be submitted by November 26, 2019 - the judge will rule on the case on (tentatively) December 2, 2019 - the Class Counsel is as follows:

Tina Wolfson, Esq.
Bradley K. King, Esq.
Ahdoot & Wolfson, PC
8424 Santa Monica Blvd. Ste 575
West Hollywood, CA 90069
info@ahdootwolfson.com

You can complete a claim on the website I listed above or mail it - along with all required documentation (of the repair I would assume) - to:

BOEHM FUEL PUMP SETTLEMENT
C/O ATTICUS ADMINISTRATION
P.O. Box 64053
Saint Paul, MN 55164

Mailed claims must be postmarked by November 26, 2019.

———> I sure hope this isn’t the first NAM has heard of this settlement, but tonight sure was the first I had heard anything! Thankfully my brother happened to no be slacking this particular time and got this forwarded to my new house in enough time to actually do something about it!

Please let me know if you’ve heard of this, or if this is already gone over on NAM, please shoot me a link! It will be a very hectic next week or so with work, so I will try my best to keep an eye on this thread and will make some time to scan and upload the documents I received assuming that it isn’t already somewhere here on the forum.

Thanks everyone!

Austin
2010 Mini R55

Old 10-02-2022, 01:55 PM
MaddMini
Neutral
Please count me in

I’ve been working on a lot of many stats having this issue lately can’t wait to a resolution comes along.