Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High Pressure Fuel Pump PRICE GOUGE (HPFP)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 05:28 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
High Pressure Fuel Pump PRICE GOUGE (HPFP)

In the beginning of december, I dropped off my car at a BMW/Mini mechanic for what ended up being three weeks. I TOLD them I wanted the HPFP changed, because I just hit 130K (extended warranty on it was out at 120K) and the symptoms were classic HPFP (no start on cold starts, fine when warmed up). They dragged their feet, insisted it was the coils first (all at once? And besides, I already changed them) then the spark plugs (again, all at once? And again, been there, done that). They ultimately changed the cam shaft position sensor when that code popped, but declined to do the HPFP even though I asked them specifically to do it. Well the cold start issues persist, and when I went in to mini the other day, it turns out the $330 fuel pump now costs $1230!!!

That is right... from Dec 31st 2015 to Jan 1st 2016 Mini usa decided to nearly quadruple the price of this part, an increase of $900, based not at all on cost, but on their ability to exploit the market, and a clear lack of competition for parts. Complete BS. If you think you might need one, look around and see what you can't find, because at this point, almost all the inventories have been updated with the new prices.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:33 AM
nukular_beto
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an opportunity for someone to start making an aftermarket one.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:18 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I suspect the increase in price is an attempt to recoup their heavy losses to date on the hpfp. A good portion of the price of any part is the cost to develop (and perfect) it. All discussions of price "fairness" devolve into how much the people who are taking risk are "allowed" to profit from it. The answer is currently what the market will bear because stock holders became exceedingly greedy during the dot.com boom and haven't come to their senses yet. In that limited sense I disagree with the notion that the increase has nothing at all to do with cost.

Your bigger problem seems to be your mechanic.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:11 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
You can buy 3rd party remanufactured ones for $200-300 last time I looked....
Now that the car is out of production...volume of parts sold is dropping...so prices tend to go up a bit for a couple years..gen1 cars saw the same thing.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:57 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We don't know why MINI has jumped the price so much. Once I heard of it I sourced the best price I could and got a few so I have some N14 High Pressure Fuel pumps in stock for $499, not the old $300 price, but still so much better than the $900 price. Once these are gone only the $900 ones will be avail.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/high-pr...7-r58-r59.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
Brandon Gay (06-15-2020)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:57 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
I suspect the increase in price is an attempt to recoup their heavy losses to date on the hpfp. A good portion of the price of any part is the cost to develop (and perfect) it. All discussions of price "fairness" devolve into how much the people who are taking risk are "allowed" to profit from it. The answer is currently what the market will bear because stock holders became exceedingly greedy during the dot.com boom and haven't come to their senses yet. In that limited sense I disagree with the notion that the increase has nothing at all to do with cost.

Your bigger problem seems to be your mechanic.
The mechanic was a prob for sure -- but I found a couple at the old price and bought them as soon as I found out... did the job in my driveway before the games on Sunday. Problem solved.

You're misled on development costs. The part is ancient, and was even less than $300 previously. They several years to recoup. This is a straight up quadrupling of the price because the parts are failing in increasing numbers and people will pay it. This is no small company BTW... At my ONE tiny mini dealer, I was the FIFTH person to attempt to buy one THAT DAY.

Last edited by fast_eddy; 01-19-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We don't know why MINI has jumped the price so much. Once I heard of it I sourced the best price I could and got a few so I have some N14 High Pressure Fuel pumps in stock for $499, not the old $300 price, but still so much better than the $900 price. Once these are gone only the $900 ones will be avail.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/high-pr...7-r58-r59.html
Nice, Way! Right when this happened I checked your site first but I think they had already gone up there (as you said, $900) so I moved on. I actually thought about calling you, but ended up finding a couple myself (after an extensive and panicked search).

Old 01-19-2016, 08:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by fast_eddy
Nice, Way! Right when this happened I checked your site first but I think they had already gone up there (as you said, $900) so I moved on. I actually thought about calling you, but ended up finding a couple myself (after an extensive and panicked search).
No problem thanks for checking as all these price changes have been a mess.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wonder if they would go down on price in the future

Old 01-20-2016, 08:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Possible i have seen it go up and down , but it seems to stick for a couple months on average with other parts. Just keep checking our site every month, i will update when I see the price change also.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ese-codes.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-20-2016, 09:09 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by nukular_beto
Sounds like an opportunity for someone to start making an aftermarket one.
+1 It was interesting to see how much that pump went up when BMW prices were adjusted a few weeks ago.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-16-2016, 03:28 PM
axsys
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My HPFP failed this month. After my local dealer quoted my $1500+ to get it fixed, I filed a complaint with Mini USA about the price jump. Later that day, I got a call from my local dealer stating that they worked with Mini USA and offered to do the job at $650 plus tax. I took them up on the offer and now have a new HPFP with a 2 year warranty.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:29 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by axsys
My HPFP failed this month. After my local dealer quoted my $1500+ to get it fixed, I filed a complaint with Mini USA about the price jump. Later that day, I got a call from my local dealer stating that they worked with Mini USA and offered to do the job at $650 plus tax. I took them up on the offer and now have a new HPFP with a 2 year warranty.
Very interesting! Happy to see they gave you a good deal. Thanks for sharing this information. This could be very useful to others that deal with this as well.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 165 Likes on 131 Posts
In the beginning of december, I dropped off my car at a BMW/Mini mechanic for what ended up being three weeks. I TOLD them I wanted the HPFP changed, because I just hit 130K (extended warranty on it was out at 120K) and the symptoms were classic HPFP (no start on cold starts, fine when warmed up). They dragged their feet, insisted it was the coils first (all at once? And besides, I already changed them) then the spark plugs (again, all at once? And again, been there, done that). They ultimately changed the cam shaft position sensor when that code popped, but declined to do the HPFP even though I asked them specifically to do it. Well the cold start issues persist, and when I went in to mini the other day, it turns out the $330 fuel pump now costs $1230!!!

That is right... from Dec 31st 2015 to Jan 1st 2016 Mini usa decided to nearly quadruple the price of this part, an increase of $900, based not at all on cost, but on their ability to exploit the market, and a clear lack of competition for parts. Complete BS. If you think you might need one, look around and see what you can't find, because at this point, almost all the inventories have been updated with the new prices.

By legal definition I don't believe it could be called "Price Gouging". Prices on many MINI parts have ALSO dropped, odd no one commented on that. Serp Belts went from 33 to 24 dollars, price of most if not all maintenance parts including but not limited to blades, Brake rotors by almost 100 dollars difference ( less ) since Dec 31st.

Prices are adjusted for many reasons but as far as calling this "Price Gouging" I don't think that would apply to a part readily available aftermarket, and especially when less $.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:50 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So what's the best way to get dealer pointed toward hpfp?
Most of these threads I see dealer saying car needs injector service, walnut blasting, new ignition coils etc.
I can see on torque app fuel rail pressure is 100-300psi on cold starts (over night) but i haven't had trouble after that first start of the day. So if I drive it to dealership it's going to start right back up fine

edit - set up dealer appt for tomorrow afternoon and plan on leaving it there overnight if need be. i'd be happy if they'd just sell me the hpfp for 650 at this point

Last edited by randeez; 02-17-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:43 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You're misled on development costs. The part is ancient, and was even less than $300 previously. They several years to recoup. This is a straight up quadrupling of the price because the parts are failing in increasing numbers and people will pay it. This is no small company BTW... At my ONE tiny mini dealer, I was the FIFTH person to attempt to buy one THAT DAY.
No, I don't think I was misled by 23 years in the production business for a global company. Restarting or increasing production of a part is very expensive. When existing capacity is limited the price can soar quickly. If that wasn't the case, those nonexistent cheap aftermarket parts would be readily available.

And what about the costs to correct the problem with the initial version and the replacement of parts under warranty? I stand by my disagreement with the notion that there are no increased costs.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:06 AM
jwillis
Neutral
I went on ebay last week and just noticed the increase on the HPFP's and found one company still selling them for $291. I ordered it and in the middle of the shipping the package somehow got delayed by the seller in the middle of the route. At the same time the prices of the HPFP's went up to $999 on their page.

I think they're trying to stop the shipment and USPS won't deliver the package :/

Old 02-17-2016, 05:06 PM
Peanut61
Banned
new price $1264.75

Old 02-18-2016, 06:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
We have it linked back a couple pages for ~ $1111.50 and below , if the price goes down It will notify you guys asap when you sign up on the wish list. Little heart by it, When it goes down, you will get an email asap. 13517588879

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/13517588879

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-18-2016, 07:14 AM
randeez
4th Gear
dont mean to put you on the spot, but does it come with same 2 year warranty as if purchased through dealer?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:22 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
no problem. 2 year, unlimited miles, if you have an issue beyond that on the Genuine MINI parts, let us know. We can help you out.

All our other parts come with a 1 year warranty regardless of manufacturer. Some brand go further then one year, some go under.

Last edited by ECSTuning; 02-18-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:35 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by randeez
dont mean to put you on the spot, but does it come with same 2 year warranty as if purchased through dealer?
All of our Genuine items come with the 2 year associated warranty, just like if you purchased through the dealer.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...-7-588-879-M26

Genuine through a different distributor with 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...-7-588-879-INT

Old 02-18-2016, 12:00 PM
randeez
4th Gear
sounds good, thanks

and i love how you two fight it out

mini is at dealer for troubleshooting, service writer seemed fairly aware about HPFP issue - was the first thing he mentioned it may be. hopefully i wont get nailed with a few hours just to have tech diagnose. obviously the best outcome is to have miniusa help out in some way or another. other wise one of ya will have an order before the end of the week

Old 02-22-2016, 08:57 AM
randeez
4th Gear
to bump with some sort of resolution...
I dropped it off at dealership A last thursday to be officially diagnosed, sure enough it was the issue, among a few others. they wanted ~2100 to replace the pump and a short fuel line.
Called and complained to miniUSA, they told me to kick rocks. I bought used, i understand its whatever.
I was about ready to just buy and DIY, decided to give next nearest dealership a call and see what they'd charge, i already got a price from them for the pump/line ($1400) but i guess they worked some magic and are going to take care of it for a lil over $1500 parts/labor/2 yr warranty. so i dropped i off this morning

Old 02-27-2016, 02:13 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
Thought I already followed up... But just wanted to add: I ended up buying some online that were sill the old price. A couple people cancelled my order once they realized priced had gone up but I did end up with two of them at $467 each. Did the job myself and it was very easy with this great DIY:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/273872-diy-hpfp-replacement-how-to-replace-high-pressure-fuel-pump-on-mini-cooper-r56-jcw.html

Not hard at all and no more rough starts. If someone wants to do it themselves you can have my extra pump for my cost (just sitting on my work bench still in the box right now).

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Pump PRICE GOUGE (HPFP)