Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High Pressure Fuel Pump PRICE GOUGE (HPFP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:08 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by fast_eddy
Thought I already followed up... But just wanted to add: I ended up buying some online that were sill the old price. A couple people cancelled my order once they realized priced had gone up but I did end up with two of them at $467 each. Did the job myself and it was very easy with this great DIY:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-r56-jcw.html

Not hard at all and no more rough starts. If someone wants to do it themselves you can have my extra pump for my cost (just sitting on my work bench still in the box right now).
With the problems I've seen with those pumps, you might want to hang onto it..

Old 02-28-2016, 02:14 PM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
With the problems I've seen with those pumps, you might want to hang onto it..
I hear ya. I got 125k out of the first one, though, and won't have the mini for more than another year, so I'm not worried. Besides I'd probably lose it anyways! So maybe the next guy who needs one will get a deal on one here. (Except for the apologists who try to explain away a near quadrupling of the price like mini USA is a relative of theirs... They will get nothing.)
:-)

Old 03-02-2016, 06:26 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone ever heard good or bad about this one on eBay?
Says it's new. Only 1yr warranty though. No picture.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:08 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
with a 2010, first thing i would do is see if youre in the extended warranty range, 10yr/120k miles. call dealer and let them look up by vin#

from my understanding the pump went through several revisions, so i would try and cross reference anything to the latest, it may just be a NOS part with the old design.

waymotorworks also has a few 07-10 pumps left @599, if you want to buy from a reputable site

Old 03-03-2016, 11:24 AM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the extension only covered up to 2009 models?
I did run my VIN on the MINI website and it came back with nothing, but I believe that only checks for actual recalls and not campaigns like these.

I've also contacted my service writer that I normally deal with to see what he had to say.

Originally Posted by randeez
with a 2010, first thing i would do is see if youre in the extended warranty range, 10yr/120k miles. call dealer and let them look up by vin#

from my understanding the pump went through several revisions, so i would try and cross reference anything to the latest, it may just be a NOS part with the old design.

waymotorworks also has a few 07-10 pumps left @599, if you want to buy from a reputable site

Old 03-03-2016, 11:28 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
The HPFP warranty was extended to 10 years or 120k miles and is for select 2007, 2008, and 2009 MINI's with the N14 engine. There is a PDF of the extended warranty HERE.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-03-2016, 11:05 PM
ophale
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Add me to the list...

One cold morning a week ago, my wife press the start button and the MINI coughed up a fur ball... Eventually it started and ran fine. Happened a few more times since the first fur ball. Just had a diagnostic performed at the local BMW dealer and confirmed the High Pressure Fuel Pump has a different opinion on what high pressure means. Now I'm looking at $160 for the honor of knowing what I suspected. $1642 for a replacement hpfp (13-51-7-592-429) and $294 for labor. Of course my local authorities would like a piece of the action at $81.10.

What to do... Trade the car in, 2011 Cooper Clubman S w/ 49K miles for a wooping $6K, graciously calculated and explained by the dealership staff why the car is worthless.

Get the service done at $2,200 with 2 year warranty

Or...

Buy the part for $1k and install it myself

I did call MINI USA for help, and I was also told to kick rocks too, in a pleasant and perky, MINI is such a fun car, aren't you glad you are part of the club, way. And... the new part is made of gold, titanium and kriptonight, is justifiable at $1600, with guaranties that it will never fail again, as your car is the first one we heard of having this problem.... Wondering if a classaction is brewing out there?

Questions to those experts out there...

What is the likelihood that the 2011 HPFP part will have the 120K, 10 year warranty, in the future similar to the select N14 owners? If so, would the warranty be retroactive....

I'm sitting on the fence on doing this myself for ~$1000 savings for 1- 2 hours of my labor. How hard is it to perform this repair? I'm relatively competent, I perform annual oil changes, just replaced all the brakes and rotors... My wife thinks we should have it repaired at dealer for the 2 year warranty on parts and labor. As the part has 1 year warranty and I'm not sure if it broke how to prove it was the part and not the installer.

Does anyone know why the pump fails? Is the pump fixable or can it be refurbished?

(RANT)
The most annoying part of this is hearing the "I told you so..." I thought maybe the N18 engine will be sorted out and waited for that revision before ordering up the car in 2011. Wishful thinking on my part in hindsight. What I'm looking forward too is walnut blasting at $1600, timing belt tensioner issues $??? and the thermostat issue at $768. Can you hear our friends, family, and coworkers say, "I told you so, It's a MINI, it's not reliable". Their right! What makes matters worse is that it is so expensive to fix it the car.
(/RANT)

Thanks in advance for your commiseration and sympathy, my fellow MINI owners...

Last edited by ophale; 03-04-2016 at 03:31 AM. Reason: typo...
The following users liked this post:
Brandon Gay (06-15-2020)
Old 03-04-2016, 06:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,772 Posts
Might change down the road and be extended for the newer models, but its a chance and the wait game. I finally got my PS pump covered and its an 05' .

The best thing might be to do it yourself, then if they do a campaign down the road you would be reimbursed by MINI , like I was on my Gen1 PS pump and fan. Just keep all your receipts.

If you ever has a issue with a new one again we offer a 2 year unlimited miles warranty.

The DIY is here which you can use for the 2011, just not that was on a N14 engine, mostly the same on the N18, just a different part number which we linked in the thread.

Hope that helps.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-04-2016, 08:29 AM
ophale
1st Gear
Add me to the list...

Thanks ECSTuning!

I'm glad to hear your experience with warranty campaigns with MINI, especially the ability to make a claim retroactively. Perhaps MINI will acknowledge the issue with the HPFP for N18 engines. I guess I see a glimmer of hope, that I may be refunded (at least for the part) in the future. I'm an **** engineer type, so receipts for all my cars are logged and stored. Anyway, a $1K fix is better than a $2K fix if it is not covered.

Thanks for making me aware of your 2 year unlimited mile warranty policy. I'm glad to see there are business out there that stand behind there products.

I believe I will retrieve my car today, and sort out my next steps, most likely down the DIY path.

Appreciate the advice!

ECSTuning (06-27-2023)
Old 03-04-2016, 08:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by ophale
Thanks ECSTuning!

I'm glad to hear your experience with warranty campaigns with MINI, especially the ability to make a claim retroactively. Perhaps MINI will acknowledge the issue with the HPFP for N18 engines. I guess I see a glimmer of hope, that I may be refunded (at least for the part) in the future. I'm an **** engineer type, so receipts for all my cars are logged and stored. Anyway, a $1K fix is better than a $2K fix if it is not covered.

Thanks for making me aware of your 2 year unlimited mile warranty policy. I'm glad to see there are business out there that stand behind there products.

I believe I will retrieve my car today, and sort out my next steps, most likely down the DIY path.

Appreciate the advice!
You are welcome. I am always here to help.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-04-2016, 08:53 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
One cold morning a week ago, my wife press the start button and the MINI coughed up a fur ball... Eventually it started and ran fine. Happened a few more times since the first fur ball. Just had a diagnostic performed at the local BMW dealer and confirmed the High Pressure Fuel Pump has a different opinion on what high pressure means. Now I'm looking at $160 for the honor of knowing what I suspected. $1642 for a replacement hpfp (13-51-7-592-429) and $294 for labor. Of course my local authorities would like a piece of the action at $81.10.

What to do... Trade the car in, 2011 Cooper Clubman S w/ 49K miles for a wooping $6K, graciously calculated and explained by the dealership staff why the car is worthless.

Get the service done at $2,200 with 2 year warranty

Or...

Buy the part for $1k and install it myself

I did call MINI USA for help, and I was also told to kick rocks too, in a pleasant and perky, MINI is such a fun car, aren't you glad you are part of the club, way. And... the new part is made of gold, titanium and kriptonight, is justifiable at $1600, with guaranties that it will never fail again, as your car is the first one we heard of having this problem.... Wondering if a classaction is brewing out there?

Questions to those experts out there...

What is the likelihood that the 2011 HPFP part will have the 120K, 10 year warranty, in the future similar to the select N14 owners? If so, would the warranty be retroactive....

I'm sitting on the fence on doing this myself for ~$1000 savings for 1- 2 hours of my labor. How hard is it to perform this repair? I'm relatively competent, I perform annual oil changes, just replaced all the brakes and rotors... My wife thinks we should have it repaired at dealer for the 2 year warranty on parts and labor. As the part has 1 year warranty and I'm not sure if it broke how to prove it was the part and not the installer.

Does anyone know why the pump fails? Is the pump fixable or can it be refurbished?

(RANT)
The most annoying part of this is hearing the "I told you so..." I thought maybe the N18 engine will be sorted out and waited for that revision before ordering up the car in 2011. Wishful thinking on my part in hindsight. What I'm looking forward too is walnut blasting at $1600, timing belt tensioner issues $??? and the thermostat issue at $768. Can you hear our friends, family, and coworkers say, "I told you so, It's a MINI, it's not reliable". Their right! What makes matters worse is that it is so expensive to fix it the car.
(/RANT)

Thanks in advance for your commiseration and sympathy, my fellow MINI owners...
For your question in regards to what fails inside the HPFP, check out this thread HERE. As to the N18 HPFP, MINI claims there are no issues with them, but we have seen more than a few of them fail as well. Just thinking out loud, warranties, TSB's, and recalls may come down to the number of complaints/failures that dealers/corporate see or even issues on their long term vehicles. If more people come to them with issues with the N18 HPFP, then maybe a warranty will come for it in the future. Not sure though. Other than the HPFP, the N18 has remedied more than a few of the issues that the N14 had. The N18 doesn't have as bad of carbon build up issues like the previous N14 engines do. Some info HERE and HERE.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 03-04-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Brandon Gay (06-15-2020)
Old 03-04-2016, 05:59 PM
ophale
1st Gear
Hi Pelican Parts,

Thanks for the link on the possible reasons for the HPFP failure. I started reading the thread and found it fascinating.

All,

I must say, the support here makes me feel better about my choice to buy a MINI 4+ years. Thank you for your advice and opinions.

The reason I called MINI NA was to document my experience and to make MINI aware that I'm not a happy customer. We plan to write a letter too. I hope others write and/or call to express their dissatisfaction that the HPFP issue has not been solved for the N18 engine owners. If MINI doesn't want to recognize the problem, at a minimum they should help their valued customers, long term, by making the part available at a reasonably cost. I wouldn't be writing to the form if the dealer said the part was $300, labor $300 for total cost for a fix is $600. I would have paid and moved on... $2200 gets my attention and makes me research the issue. The more I research the more I'm dissappointe with MINI and BMW.

Aloha!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:57 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Was in exact same boat ophale, first dealer quoted me close to yours....went back n forth over options, doesnt help in your situation but luckily I had another dealer not to far away. Service/price was much much better, all said and done they still got me for about 1350 parts/labor/2yr warranty , but that was cheaper then I could even buy the parts from either dealer. Otherwise I would have done myself.

The thermostat housing isn't to hard , I did it myself a few weeks after I bought mine (used), the pump is right on top of the housing, knock them both out at the same time.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:39 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I love my 2011 MCS, and the fact that I sprung for the aftermarket Hendricks warranty. I normally do not purchase warranties, glad I did this time. So far, they have covered a HPFP, all 4 coil packs, an engine-driven water pump, an auxillary electric water pump, water pump pulley, accessory belt, friction wheel, and the discoloring buttons on my steering wheel. Oh, and the door sill plates. I am sure I am forgetting a couple other items. Each time I went to MINI of Escondido, I was provided a free loaner car while my MINI was down for service. Mad props to Hendricks warranty, and MINI of Escondido. It's a pain in the rear when your ride goes down, but these folks have proven to make that deal much more palatable.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:13 AM
randeez
4th Gear
When I bought mine I kinda let the dealer sway me into it, was 2yr/24k. Company seemed to be ok as far as claim handling but as I read the fine print it showed they covering up to the amount that I paid for the warranty in repairs, didnt seem like a good deal and i opted out before refund would be prorated.

Third party warranty company also

In hindsight I have nearly spent that much in repairs, but I've also put over 30k miles in the 6 months I've had it

Old 03-06-2016, 08:06 AM
whiteoaks
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just had to have the HPFP replaced on our 2010 MC Clubman S about 2 weeks ago with 88K miles. Same problem others are experiencing. Coughing, sputtering, stalling at startup when vehicle sits for more than 12 hours. Dealership charged us almost $1300 for the repair job. They wanted to charge us over $1100 for the fuel pump. I negotiated a 15% parts discount and paid about $990 for the pump which the Service person told me was below their cost. I say bunk to that. Did some research the day after I got the vehicle back and found out about the extended warranty on 07-09 years. Even though our MC is a 2010, it was manufactured in September / 2009. I called MINI Corp and asked if our car was included in the extended warranty since it was made in '09. The customer service representative advised me that our vehicle was not eligible for the warranty and that the 07-09 year coverage was for only "SELECT" vehicles. I asked if he would see about working with the dealership to get us a goodwill discount. A week later the representative called back and said the dealership told him they had already given up a generous discount on parts and labor for the job. I told the representative that the 15% discount on the pump was not generous in my opinion and there was NO discount given on the labor. The MINI representative told me he could not do anything else. I saw were someone in this thread said the original cost quote from their dealership was very close to the approximate $1300 price we paid but that the dealership cut the bill in half to about $650. Not the case with our dealership as my experience is that they gouge you every chance they get. Problem is that they are the only dealership within 225 miles of us. We have filed a complaint against MINI with the Better Business Bureau and we'll see where that goes. I am convinced there has been a fuel pressure problem with the fuel pump on our car for sometime as we had to have the walnut blasting done at 52K miles.

Does anyone know if there is some other agency or authority we should contact to see if MINI can be held accountable?

Last edited by whiteoaks; 03-06-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:11 AM
RobertJ
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fast_eddy
That is right... from Dec 31st 2015 to Jan 1st 2016 Mini usa decided to nearly quadruple the price of this part, an increase of $900, based not at all on cost, but on their ability to exploit the market, and a clear lack of competition for parts. Complete BS.
I sincerely regret buying this car. I am 52 years old and have never felt this way about a vehicle in my life. I bought a '99 Saturn SL2 just so I have a reliable commuter, because I never know when the Mini is going to take a dump on me. Unfortunately, due to hitting a deer and the Carfax hit it caused I will never be able to sell this POS for a decent price. At less than 80k miles I am afraid to take it on a road trip, and will opt for my Saturn when I go to my son's graduation this summer. Pathetic...

Brandon Gay (06-15-2020)
Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Thankfully I have a justa. A $1000 fuel pump with serious reliability problems is a major red flag for me.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:11 PM
ophale
1st Gear
HPFP is in!

Hi All,

Just a quick follow up to let others know that replacing the HPFP is not as scary as it might seem... As you may have read in my note above, I was quoted $2200 for the complete job including diagnostics ($151), labor ($300), and parts ($1650).

I got the part online from a Mini Dealer in Texas for $855, and installed it myself in about an hour using this DIY thread:

I was surprised I had all the tools necessary, including the 14 mm claw socket, torque wrench in the correct range and a poker for the fuel line.

If you guys were in Hawaii, I'd buy you a beer! Thanks for the encouragement to go ahead and do it myself.

Now, I need to compose a nasty letter to MINI NA about the price gouging! Not sure who to direct it to, the gov Cc: to MINI NA or just to MINI NA?

RobertJ, I'm 50 too, I don't think I'll buy or recommend a MINI product. The depreciation, and reliability is not worth the $28K we purchased the car for. I can get more money selling my 12 year old Pickup truck with 95K miles than this 4+ year old MINI Copper Clubman S with 48K miles... And the Toyota never let me down. Yes, things broke on it but it still drove with the check engine light at 90K miles, and it was a $70 part...

Aloha!

Last edited by ophale; 03-23-2016 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Fixed url link
Old 03-19-2016, 03:54 AM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought one at the old price and then had mine replaced under warranty so if anyone wants a brand new HPFP for 300 and shipping, let me know

Brandon Gay (06-15-2020)
Old 03-20-2016, 02:26 AM
rt808
2nd Gear
RockAuto.com sells for $248.00, Are they good parts? Just curious

Old 03-20-2016, 02:28 AM
rt808
2nd Gear
Delete

Last edited by rt808; 03-20-2016 at 02:31 AM. Reason: added mor info
Old 03-21-2016, 04:51 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Hi All,

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com...r-r56-jcw.html

I was surprised I had all the tools necessary, including the 14 mm claw socket, torque wrench in the correct range and a poker for the fuel line.

Aloha!

Aloha,

For some reason the link is not working, i reposted it here :

Old 03-21-2016, 04:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by rt808
RockAuto.com sells for $248.00, Are they good parts? Just curious
There pricing might be updated, but I dont see the HPFP, just the rear ( main low pressure fuel pump for around that amount ). Also watch what you buy lots of people found they have the wrongs models per year, like in 2007. Mix supercharged and turbo MINI parts.

Also we are here to help and know MINI.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 AM
ophale
1st Gear
FYI: March 10th, 2016, Service Bulletin 010116 - HPFP Warranty Extension

FYI: On March 10th, 2016, MINI has granted a warranty extension (10 year 120,000 mile) to my 2011 MINI Cooper S for early failure of the HPFP according to Service Bulletin # 010116. I don't know if additional cars are included, such as the 2012, 2013... model year. I'm in the process of requesting a refund for the replacement part I purchased recently. MINI USA or the dealer, in my case a BMW dealer, as there are no MINI dealers near by, will walk you through the process. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Pump PRICE GOUGE (HPFP)