Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

High Pressure Fuel Pump PRICE GOUGE (HPFP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:15 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ophale
FYI: On March 10th, 2016, MINI has granted a warranty extension (10 year 120,000 mile) to my 2011 MINI Cooper S for early failure of the HPFP according to Service Bulletin # 010116. I don't know if additional cars are included, such as the 2012, 2013... model year. I'm in the process of requesting a refund for the replacement part I purchased recently. MINI USA or the dealer, in my case a BMW dealer, as there are no MINI dealers near by, will walk you through the process. I hope this helps.
This is good news for N18 owners. Thanks for sharing the bulletin #.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Yes! Thanks for the report, takes that potential from hanging over our heads! The HPFP seems to be a point of failure.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:17 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ophale
FYI: On March 10th, 2016, MINI has granted a warranty extension (10 year 120,000 mile) to my 2011 MINI Cooper S for early failure of the HPFP according to Service Bulletin # 010116. I don't know if additional cars are included, such as the 2012, 2013... model year. I'm in the process of requesting a refund for the replacement part I purchased recently. MINI USA or the dealer, in my case a BMW dealer, as there are no MINI dealers near by, will walk you through the process. I hope this helps.
I haven't been able to find any official info on this. Any clue if it includes 2010 models? We got shafted on the original warranty extension and on the timing chain extension too.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:51 AM
fast_eddy
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hidperf
I haven't been able to find any official info on this. Any clue if it includes 2010 models? We got shafted on the original warranty extension and on the timing chain extension too.
If anyone needs to do this job, I posted the extra one I have for sale at the old price. I bought two and installed one, so this is brand new in the box from mini. An easy DIY!

The following users liked this post:
Brandon Gay (06-15-2020)
Old 04-23-2016, 02:40 PM
zozeppelin
Neutral
Can confirm, just had HPFP replaced on my 2011 CMS done under M010116 under the 10 year / 120k mi warranty.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:12 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Got pics of work order?

Old 04-23-2016, 07:20 PM
zozeppelin
Neutral
Something particular you're looking for, or just proof?

Yes I have the WO, but not comfortable publishing my VIN, dealer, technician, etc or other information that could trace back to them because they treated me really well (coached me from "my HPFP is failing, low rail pressure codes, multiple cylinder misfires" to "hard cold starts, loss of power at highway speeds, check engine light, etc").

I called the warranty guy the day prior and he verified the 10 yr/120k as well.

I had been hunting some ebay pumps out of UK but couldn't pull the trigger to justify the cost (still ~$400). Thanks to the OP with the tipoff on the warranty opportunity. Car had been through 2 pumps already prior to purchase but the latest was outside the 2 yr part warranty and car was outside of 4 year service warranty.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Service adviser pulled up my VIN and told me 2011 Countryman HPFP was covered if needed.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:41 PM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was curious if the JCW pumps were effected. (2011 JCW) I did a little research and the 2011 JCW and 2011 S pump P/Ns are different. Called the stealership and they say no recalls And my VIN is not effected. Yet the HPFP was changed 3 months after delivery date back in 3/11. If anyone can really decode the HPFP Mystery it would be great as to which models/years are covered. I keep seeing all these posts about The stealership honoring pump warranties even on the N18s.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:15 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Understandable zozeppelin, I guess I am just looking for yr, make, model, service, and amount paid....I will send the service writer I used an email and see if he will look it up tomorrow either way and see if I can get reimbursed

called miniusa to confirm warranty was issued. talked to service writer he's going to get the ball rolling i guess we'll see what happens

Last edited by randeez; 04-25-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:19 PM
zozeppelin
Neutral
Originally Posted by randeez
Understandable zozeppelin, I guess I am just looking for yr, make, model, service, and amount paid....I will send the service writer I used an email and see if he will look it up tomorrow either way and see if I can get reimbursed
Jan 2011 build Countryman S ALL4 Manual. Specifically went in for this issue. Nothing paid upfront or afterwards as I confirmed the pump was under an active service bulletin. Had they not found an issue with he pump I'm sure I would have been out the diagnostic fee.

My complaint was the CEL was on, rough cold starts and loss of power at high speeds, understanding this is likely the HPFP and confirmed the coverage in advance (M010116).

Technician verified CEL was on, scan tool found 2BEE and 2C01 both for HPFP, ran test plan, replaced defective HPFP, cleared fault memory and test drove as advised in Bulletin # 01 01 16.

Try to get something in writing from Mini regarding your VIN eligibility and/or specifics on M010116. There is a part number break in mid 2012 if I recall correctly trying to source the part previously. If they admit to your car is covered but won't reimburse, I would say you're going to the BBB and if they still don't resolve I would file a complaint with the BBB.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:57 PM
axsys
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm glad I checked back in on this thread! I had mine replaced in February of this year, a few months before the extended warranty hit. I contacted my dealer today, gave them all the info about the TSB (the girl on the phone pulled it up before I could even give her the number), and they are issuing me a full refund! I suggest anyone with a 2011 that had to have their HPFP replaced give the dealer a call and ask about it.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:43 AM
hawkfn18
Neutral
Have the same problems with my 08 S. Called Mini USA with my VIN, they told me not covered. Then placed a call to my local Mini dealership and they pulled up my VIN and said I am covered for the HPFP! WTF Mini USA?? How can this be? Anyway, dropping the car off this Wed for pump replacement and carbon cleaning.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:53 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Classic case of why you need to at least double check anything you get from companies now. If one person says no, the next person might actually research the issue. Mini USA answers are plain awful as I've found out from contacting them.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Tynan Haider
Neutral
Copy of Bulletin???

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
This is good news for N18 owners. Thanks for sharing the bulletin #.
Does anyone have a copy of this "M010116" service bulletin? I'm not getting anywhere with my local dealer and they say that number isn't valid.... any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:39 AM
andyrgraham
Neutral
Hi there,

Were you able to obtain the details relating to#10053604,

thanks

Old 11-24-2016, 09:43 PM
Yenmedia
Neutral
Originally Posted by Tynan Haider
Does anyone have a copy of this "M010116" service bulletin? I'm not getting anywhere with my local dealer and they say that number isn't valid.... any help is greatly appreciated.
Managed to get a copy of the TSB. You can access it here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...3o3b3lWQS01ekU

Old 11-26-2016, 06:41 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Great info! Thanks, Yenmedia!

Old 11-27-2016, 06:43 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Interesting. I captured another person's (thebombardier) post noting the '11 N18 had a different HPFP, Continental, than later years. Looks like the TSB could be for the Continental HPFP. Anyone know what fuel pump was used on the 07-10?

-------
thebombardier
3rd Gear

As far as the N18 motors go, there are two different fuel pumps. The one you had in your original motor is a Continental pump somewhat prone to failure. Later model year N18s has a Bosch fuel pump which is more reliable but also came with a different fuel rail and injectors. For a full motor swap I don't know if the two different versions of the N18 are interchangeable but I can't imagine making it work is too hard.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,772 Posts
Current or the older production. I believe they have changed suppliers at one time or another.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-28-2016, 01:32 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by cargusjoh
Interesting. I captured another person's (thebombardier) post noting the '11 N18 had a different HPFP, Continental, than later years. Looks like the TSB could be for the Continental HPFP. Anyone know what fuel pump was used on the 07-10?

-------
thebombardier
3rd Gear

As far as the N18 motors go, there are two different fuel pumps. The one you had in your original motor is a Continental pump somewhat prone to failure. Later model year N18s has a Bosch fuel pump which is more reliable but also came with a different fuel rail and injectors. For a full motor swap I don't know if the two different versions of the N18 are interchangeable but I can't imagine making it work is too hard.
To elaborate further on my point, I actually needed to do a motor swap not much longer after posting that. The two different HPFPs for the n18 are not interchangeable. As per Lou at Protoype-R:

"I'm not sure if you were the forum member I responded to on NAM as Tigger2011 but that is correct. The ECU on the Bosch equipped N18 is physically different from the vehicles with the Continental pumps. Yours is equipped with an MEVD 17.2 ECU. The Bosch equipped models use a MEVD 17.2.2 ECU that uses different drivers on the board itself. The only solutions are to change head to a Continental equipped head or change the ECU and wire harness since there are differences in the pin outs. Not a simple or quick solution.

I tried replacing the intake cam and end plate on a Bosch type head and installed a continental pump. It did run and made correct pressures but the head was never right. The rollers would chatter at low loads no matter what we tried (replacing rocker and intermediate arms with different length to match preload etc). I spent a great deal of money and nothing worked. The chattering was actually causing the engine to make metal which within a few months caused an exhaust valve to stick open during normal driving. This obviously had a catastrophic effect on the engine and I ended up scrapping the motor."

The 07-10 used a Continental fuel pump as well, but they are not the same as the Continental for the N18 at least externally, and they have different MINI part numbers. I've heard of people getting 2011 HPFPs replaced under warranty, but I could find no extended warranty/recall notices on the matter up until now.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 AM
thesilkiest
2nd Gear
It just went up again, granted this is Canadian funds.
HPFP $2080 - U.S. $1610
Labor $170 - U.S. $15

So ridiculous. I'm gonna take my old one apart after the swap and spend a few days seeing if that solenoid is swappable for a rebuild then stash it away.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:23 AM
thesilkiest
2nd Gear
So... it appears the business model is Mini realizes there is a subpar part that they have put in their product. Then instead of prioritizing their customer's experience they see it as an opportunity to overcharge for a part as a cash grab? Ludicrous! We're considering selling our Mini and never again dealing with such low quality service and questionable business practices. Of course we will make sure our friends also know of this experience with this co. I hear BMW shares the same HPFP in some of their models and has the same practices as well.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Not going to defend BMW but have you considered that they don't make the part? Probably a supply and demand issue due to the failures and over sized demand.

I doubt this is where they want a profit center to be. Would be nice if they would talk about it. You might want to contact HQ.

thesilkiest (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 12:37 PM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Part was probably redesigned and to make up the engineering costs the price went up since they knew they would build far less than the original part.

thesilkiest (03-14-2018)

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Pump PRICE GOUGE (HPFP)