Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Key fob is in slot. But, no response from the car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 07:09 PM
kimkay
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key fob is in slot. But, no response from the car.

Hello everyone. I have read lots of threads here since I bought 09 R56S last month. Writing a thread first time.
So far, I have experienced some issues with this car including dead radio, which will charge me possibly a grand. So, I just live with it not working.

BUT, this one is the worst. I have to fix it right now. My car does not start with this problem!

I have experienced this problem several times since I bought this car. I put the key fob in the slot to start the engine. Then, there should be indications that the car is ready to start. Such as, lighting on the tachometer or speedometer, signs on speedometer. There is none. Before today, when it happened, it worked again after I tried to put the key fob in and out couple times. Now, it seems completely broken.

I read a thread exactly same symptom. It was fixed by changing the battery. So, I tried jumping the car to check if the battery was dead. It did not work. Since there wasn't low voltage warning before and every lights and locking/unlocking door work (those are not good indication of not dead battery. But, at least), I don't suspect the battery problem for now.

I think some sort of cable or wire from the key slot to ignition system could be failed. Or, any unit along the ignition system could be failed. One of my friends suspects some kind of relay thing. I do not know about the mechanism behind the key slot. Anybody knows them well? I was working on removing trims around the key slot to see inside. Not there yet. Removing a trim around speedometer is pain in the ***.

Any advisories or idea, please?

Old 07-08-2015, 07:51 PM
MIminiclubman
5th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Did you put a new battery in the FOB?

Old 07-08-2015, 07:57 PM
kimkay
1st Gear
No, I didn't. I think it is rechargeable if it is in the key slot.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:01 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My car came with two fobs. They are supposed to recharge when they're in the ignition but a failing battery, just as your car battery, will not recharge. I switch fobs every oil change to try and keep the wear between the two fairly even.

The following users liked this post:
pilotart (02-25-2023)
Old 07-08-2015, 08:09 PM
kimkay
1st Gear
Unfortunately, I have only one key fob. If I get new key fob, do I need to reprogram it?

Old 07-08-2015, 08:43 PM
pokeyjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. The dealer will do it. I only had one key as well. It cost me over $400 to get another one.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:50 PM
kimkay
1st Gear
Thanks for response guys. What if it is not the key? What else can I suspect the cause?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:35 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The battery in the key is solely for the remote lock transmitter and otherwise not involved in operating the car. It is not the problem.

You should check the voltage of the car battery. Low voltage can cause problems in the car electronics, and the battery warning light won't necessarily be triggered. You can't eliminate it as the problem until you've checked.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:05 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Why did Mini start using rechargeable key fobs? All I need is a C2032 button battery, I have four spares in my glove box. Oh Mini what the hell were you thinking?

It could also be the key fob insert unit which isn't difficult to change out, mind had issues sometimes so I quit using it.

I no longer insert my key fob, it stays in my pocket with Comfort Access.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:24 AM
kimkay
1st Gear
so, if it was low voltage battery, should it have worked when I jumped the car?

Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Why did Mini start using rechargeable key fobs?
Not for keys with Comfort Access. Standard keys have been rechargeable since 2005.

Originally Posted by kimkay
so, if it was low voltage battery, should it have worked when I jumped the car?
I don't know, but it is easy to confirm before you start taking apart the dash.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:47 PM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
If your car battery has bad cells it will not take or hold charge. If this is your original you should change it now.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
It could be this here. Just make sure you get the proper one for your 2009 MCS, don't know if there the same. There's no picture for the Engine Start/Stop Switch. Perhaps the metal contacts are dirty because it can get filthy with all that lint in your pockets, my key fob has crap in-between the buttons.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:34 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your Mini has the original car battery(not the key fob battery), I would replace it. An expiring battery confuses the Mini's computer and you can get all kinds of strange issues. I know I was getting strange codes and replaced my original battery last fall and I have not had a problem since.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Check the main battery then check the ignition switch which systemlord linked. The Replaceable key battery is only for the Comfort Access function ( if you have it ) .

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
When my key fob insert tray would not work once or twice a month I just got used to comfort access, why insert the key fob when you don't need to? I understand the OP doesn't have the Comfort Access, I'm glad my MCS has it so I don't have to bother with rechargeable batteries! Speaking of batteries my LoJack unit was inspected yeasterday and found dead batteries, if my car was ever stolen...

That's got to be the most useful feature of all other available features, I'd rather have it over a back-up camera.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:43 AM
kimkay
1st Gear
Thanks guys. I'm still working on it. I thought it could be the start/stop switch unit because I experienced this several times. I thought it snapped some switch mechanism inside of it this time. So, I removed the unit to check it. It looked that the magnet over some kind of an electronic chip acts like relay. So, there should be no mechanical malfunction. Otherwise, it could be the weakened magnet that does not trigger relay. However, unless I change the unit with new one, I cannot figure out if it is bad or not.

Since many of you guys talked about the battery, I'd do it as the first option.

By the way, one thing bothers me. I jumped the car. It didn't work. I just don't get it. Why has it not worked if it was the bad battery? Anybody got idea about it?

Old 07-13-2015, 08:41 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
By the way, one thing bothers me. I jumped the car. It didn't work. I just don't get it. Why has it not worked if it was the bad battery?
It was a suggestion because it is so easy to measure the battery. If it measures good then you've completely eliminated it as a possible cause before moving to something more involved.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM
kimkay
1st Gear
I changed the battery. At first, it didn't work. I waited about an hour. It worked. BUT, after about 30 minutes, it is dead again. I guess, start/stop switch box is the problem.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I changed the battery. At first, it didn't work. I waited about an hour. It worked. BUT, after about 30 minutes, it is dead again. I guess, start/stop switch box is the problem.
My Start/Stop switch box started acting up once or twice a month, I push clutch in and press Start Button, everything including dash lights went out like I had a dead battery so I have been using my Comfort Access for a year and a half. I never looked back.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:48 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

By the way, one thing bothers me. I jumped the car. It didn't work. I just don't get it. Why has it not worked if it was the bad battery? Anybody got idea about it?
If the battery in the fob is dead and you try to jump the car it won't work because a dead battery in the fob is like no key at all and you can't jump start a dead car without the key being on. Also, yes, the fob does recharge when it's in the slot but the car has to be running for the battery in the fob to recharge. If the fob battery is dead and won't start the car then just being in the slot will not recharge it.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:36 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by whaap
a dead battery in the fob is like no key at all
Not true. The battery in the fob has nothing to do with starting the car. That battery is only for its transmitter (remote lock).

Even with a dead key fob battery, you can start the car with the fob in the slot. What matters for starting is the immobilizer smartchip, which requires no power.

The following 2 users liked this post by rkw:
bratling (06-08-2022), pilotart (02-25-2023)
Old 07-15-2015, 06:58 AM
kimkay
1st Gear
Since it worked once after I changed battery, I am pretty sure the key fob works fine. And, it does nothing with starting the car. The battery is new. So, now I suspect start/stop switch is the problem. If I replace it, should it be just plug and play thing? No immobilizer problem or whatever needs to go to dealership?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:21 AM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you make sure it was the right key? Happens to me all the time, have a handful of MINI keys and pick the wrong one.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 AM
kimkay
1st Gear
I have only one key. So, there is no chance of wrong key.

Quick Reply: Key fob is in slot. But, no response from the car.