Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Key fob is in slot. But, no response from the car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 09:56 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sammer4u
That is correct. As I said, it will unlock or lock the doors but it will not start the car. It is not recognized, as if you had no fob on you to use. It is at the dealer now, they are ordering a new fob. They said these never do this (well of course they don't). So a new one is ordered and will program. The question was asked what if we were stranded and did not have the other fob, then we are stranded with no way to start the car and a call to Mini would be necessary to tow to the dealership and a new fob ordered.
The dealer is feeding you some Grade A BS. These round fobs go dead in this manner all the time. I do MINI key repair as "MINI Key Hospital" and have heard of this happening to dozens of these second generation fobs, and exactly zero times to the first generation blade keys. I'm surprised that a class action hasn't been filed about this problem.

When this happens the only solution is to get a new fob from a dealer- the "key won't start" problem can't be fixed.

Val

Old 07-04-2019, 07:17 PM
sammer4u
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich D
Last post was that you ordered a new key fob. Did this get you going again?
I have the same problem right now so keen to understand the solution!
New fob was ordered, programmed, and all Is (was at the time)
good. Bad fob is no good and nothing can be done to it to make it work.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:59 AM
Bob S
Neutral
I had this problem yesterday with my wife’s car. It was a loose ground on the battery connector.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:41 AM
Apexhunter
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the new fob work? I have the same problem, Key fob not recognized when inserted. Started fine last week, then it suddenly didn't but after multiple insert and removals the car came to life. I replaced the keyfob battery today and it made no difference. No response from car when keyfob inserted in start slot. All interior and exterior lights work windows do not since we cannot get any power to the engine. Recently had FRM reprogrammed after zapping it when trying to charge the car. Not sure what to do now....

Old 10-17-2020, 09:12 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
If you don't have a second key to try I would recommend getting one. A second round fob will be about $145 from MINI of Peabody in Massachusetts and the pull out key will be about $30 more. Look up the part number you need at realoem.com with the last 7 digits of your VIN; keys are in "Bodywork" for some reason. No "programming" is necessary with these, they will automatically "pair" with your car once you use it to start the car.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:14 PM
MatacoButeler
Neutral
Hi everybody!
I'm having the same issue. I insert the key fob and nothing happens.
I have two fobs. Both lock and unlock the car but I can only start the car with one. What I noticed is that I can pull out the bad one from the slot but not the one that works. Weird. Could it be a shell problem? I ordered a new shell and a rechargeable battery. I'll try that before spending a few hundreds at the stealership.
But if someone got to fix or reprogram the fob I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks!