Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CooperSAZ's 2005 LY/Blk R53

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Chan
Awesome thread!! Definitely have to subscribe. I was just wondering if you had to change the front wheel bearings yet. My car is over 100k and I think my bearings are going, so I'm about to tackle that job.
Thank you sir!

So far, my wheel bearings are holding up. No issues as of yet.

Like ECS stated, it is best to swap both while you are at it. But budgets and price points come into play.

Just turned 117k miles the other day.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:11 AM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Do them in pairs on the wheel bearings, saves time on doing the other side down the road.
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Thank you sir!

So far, my wheel bearings are holding up. No issues as of yet.

Like ECS stated, it is best to swap both while you are at it. But budgets and price points come into play.

Just turned 117k miles the other day.
I'm patiently waiting for the pair that I ordered from ECS tuning. My biggest problem I feel is getting the axle nuts off. Northeast winters have not been kind to my car.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Thanks for the order. Bend that little tab back on the axle nut, soak it with PB blaster and hit it with an impact wrench to get it off. One quick reverse hit with the impact and mine were off with 150K and northeast ohio winters in one swoop.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm patiently waiting for the pair that I ordered from ECS tuning. My biggest problem I feel is getting the axle nuts off. Northeast winters have not been kind to my car.
definitely don't forget to bend the tab, and pb blaster can't hurt. Which wheels do you have? I didn't have an impact wrench when I changed mine so I took the center cap off the wheel, and used a long breaker bar with the car on the ground. I didn't have any problems and I definitely had some rust on that car after 8 colorado winters.

it's not a hard job from what I remember, just be careful with the wheel speed sensors.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:39 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Impacts are the way to go really. I dont even un-notch the axle nut. Just hit it with the impact and everything spins off. Very nice tool to have around. I used to use breaker bars and jumping... Injury ready to happen.

If you dont have an impact, do you have a service shop nearby? I recall back in the day with my Honda CRX, I could not get the nut off to save my life. I drove 2 miles to the local repair shop and a mechanic was more than willing to turn the nut off. But then I get the lecture of being nice driving home. Which was fine, I was just glad he helped me out. Something to consider.

Ingersoll Rand W7150-K1. Solid wireless impact.
https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-W71...+Rand+W7150-K1

Per IR: "Power: 780 ft-lbs of maximum reverse torque and 1100 ft-lb of nut-busting torque from cordless impact wrench that weighs only 6.8 lbs"

I can attest to the power/influence this thing has over ANY bolt I have encountered yet. I have done multiple timing belts on Hondas and those bolts are said to be tough to remove. It takes me about 2-3 seconds to spin them off.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
breaker bars and jumping is definitely an injury waiting to happen, but You don't un notch the nut? I forgot to un notch it once and it broke off a small part of the axle. It still works fine but that keyway/notch is not as straight as it was before I worked on it.

that said, I do love my electric impact wrench. I bought a corded one from Harbor freight for $50. I was 3/4 of the way through changing my shocks when the allen head inside the front shock stripped out and I couldn't get the top nut off. A quick trip to harbor freight and $50 later I was back in business. The cordless ones look even better.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:31 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Racingguy04
breaker bars and jumping is definitely an injury waiting to happen, but You don't un notch the nut? I forgot to un notch it once and it broke off a small part of the axle. It still works fine but that keyway/notch is not as straight as it was before I worked on it.

that said, I do love my electric impact wrench. I bought a corded one from Harbor freight for $50. I was 3/4 of the way through changing my shocks when the allen head inside the front shock stripped out and I couldn't get the top nut off. A quick trip to harbor freight and $50 later I was back in business. The cordless ones look even better.
I dont. Knock on wood, have never had that issue. That is after 2 Odyssey axles, a plethora of Civic axles and now Mini axles.

Oh good, so the HF impact works. When I set out to find a cordless or corded impact, I grew nervous after reading stories that the cheaper price point impacts where struggling to get lug nuts off or even the axle nut. A good buddy of mine (further up the mechanic tree than I) really believes in Ingersoll Rand so I took a chance. Waited for a black Friday sale and picked up the impact kit for around $300 shipped. Just love it. Lug nuts take a second, axles nuts 2-3 seconds and a crank pulley bolt about 4 seconds. It really changes the perspective of working on cars and makes it more fun. I no longer worry about having to wonder if I can get that bolt loose. It allows you to stay focused on the mission at hand of what are you doing, what do you have left and what is the order of putting things back together.

I thought about pneumatic but then there might be maintenance. There is the air line to consider. Corded impact still has a line attached. Cordless seems to fit my fact pattern well.

Although, it is funny, I get crap from my neighbors that it sounds like a pitstop in my garage. Its all fun and games until they swing by needing assistance...

Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Looks like I need to invest in an impact drill. I read a good penetration oil to use is a mixture of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and Acetone. I figure I would just try that with a 3/4" breaker bar.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:03 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/Impact_Tool/

PB Blaster or Free ALL is what I use and its good stuff. I used it on my MINIs since 2004+

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
do you guys handtighten or do you just use the impact drills? wouldn't the torque be overkill?

Old 12-07-2016, 10:29 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
do you guys handtighten or do you just use the impact drills? wouldn't the torque be overkill?
Torque Wrench. No other consideration. I have them in 1/2 inch size (lbs) and 3/8 inch size (lbs and in inches). Its the only way to be certain without over torquing something.

You can find them on Amazon for $30-50 depending...

Old 12-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Definitely use a torque wrench, I typically don't tighten anything with my impact. Most auto parts stores will loan you one for just a deposit.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Yea I already use torque wrenches too. I was just wondering what else the impact wrench is used for other than taking off bolts.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:09 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Yea I already use torque wrenches too. I was just wondering what else the impact wrench is used for other than taking off bolts.
Good question! If my kids are annoying me in the garage by walking by (tend to touch or kick parts on the ground), I will chase them out with the impact. They do not care much for being chased off with an unexpected sound. That always warms the heart.

For the main impact, it pretty much only removes stuff. Along with the impact and torque wrenches, I have cordless ratchets as well. One caps at 54 ft-lbs and the other caps at around 30-35 ft-lbs. I have my pistol grip screwdriver that caps at 15 ft-lbs. So if I need to start a bolt, I use one of the smaller tools to get me close to what the bolt specs are... When everything is in place and close, then I cruise through with the torque wrench and dial them in.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Any update after changing the sensor? I'm going to be changing mine tomorrow. Did you notice a change in fuel mileage? I've had the p0340 code for a week now, and hope it was safe driving with it, since its my daily drive.

After everything was buttoned up, I turned him over. Expecting the worst, I heard nothing but the motor turning over and idling beautifully. No metallic valvetrain (to me) sound at idle or starting up.

Interesting…

Rev a few times and the car sounds fantastic! Let him idle for about 5 minutes and no engine lights… Good sign… Time for a test drive. Took him for a quick stroll around the block incase there is a failure. He did great and sounds great. Much more quite albeit there is an intake, header and exhaust on him.

Time for a longer range test and got him to a major street before opening him up.

Wow, I would be willing to bet a picked up a bit of performance now. You never really know WHEN you start to lose power… but you surely know WHEN you gain it back. He is much more spunky through all of the gears! Wow. Big difference. Is that possible to get some power back? This monitors the camshaft position, so does this impact the ignition timing and fuel introduction?

Something happened and he feels like brand new again… much more spunky and he pulls much more now. Very happy camper. I am about 15 miles in now and no check engine light.

Fingers are crossed that this is it so I am pretty happy. I would encourage anyone to swap out this sensor if you get the chance. Its $75-85 depending, very straightforward to swap out and in the end, you eliminate a small oil leak and gain a bit of performance back.

I will follow up once I have a few more miles under my belt.

Cheers.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:41 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Any update after changing the sensor? I'm going to be changing mine tomorrow. Did you notice a change in fuel mileage? I've had the p0340 code for a week now, and hope it was safe driving with it, since its my daily drive.
I just crossed over 4,000 miles with the camshaft position sensor and all is well. No CEL since and he is running like a champ!

Yes and no on the fuel mileage. I did hit 24.0 mpg on the on board computer driving like a civilian briefly. But I find I am also getting a little lower than normal gas mileage when driving in a "spirited" mood. (see above comment...) hehe

I believe you will be fine. Let us know how the repair goes!

Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
I just crossed over 4,000 miles with the camshaft position sensor and all is well. No CEL since and he is running like a champ!

Yes and no on the fuel mileage. I did hit 24.0 mpg on the on board computer driving like a civilian briefly. But I find I am also getting a little lower than normal gas mileage when driving in a "spirited" mood. (see above comment...) hehe

I believe you will be fine. Let us know how the repair goes!
Thanks! I'll be doing my wheel bearings as well. I should notice a big difference after these changes.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Well I was able to do the cam sensor no problems. But wasn't able to get the axle nut off with my 3/4" breaker bar 🙁.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Kristof
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Fantastic looking MINI. I just took an hour or so and read through your whole thread. Great work on taking car of your car. I envy how well it looks. I have an old LY R50 that Im slowly restoring.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:16 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Well I was able to do the cam sensor no problems. But wasn't able to get the axle nut off with my 3/4" breaker bar 🙁.
Impact! If not, see if a local repair shop will break them loose for you. Then they can tighten them back up, get the Mini home and start again.

CEL staying off now that you reset the ECU? Any noticeable difference driving the Mini post work?

Originally Posted by Kristof
Fantastic looking MINI. I just took an hour or so and read through your whole thread. Great work on taking car of your car. I envy how well it looks. I have an old LY R50 that Im slowly restoring.
Thank you for the kind words! Sadly, there are not many LY Minis left anymore. Make sure you get that one back up and roadworthy!

Old 12-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Impact! If not, see if a local repair shop will break them loose for you. Then they can tighten them back up, get the Mini home and start again.

CEL staying off now that you reset the ECU? Any noticeable difference driving the Mini post work?
Yea just ordered the IR-W7150 impact tool

After I cleared the code, the CEL has stayed off. It doesn't have that rough start when its cold anymore. I thought it would fix my acceleration issues, but I think that might be something else. When I go WOT, my rpm goes up and down and up again. Not sure what could be causing it. Any clue?

Old 12-11-2016, 11:54 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Yea just ordered the IR-W7150 impact tool

After I cleared the code, the CEL has stayed off. It doesn't have that rough start when its cold anymore. I thought it would fix my acceleration issues, but I think that might be something else. When I go WOT, my rpm goes up and down and up again. Not sure what could be causing it. Any clue?

Excellent! You wont be disappointed. Half the bolts I use the impact on want to turn themselves out before I break out the impact. They want nothing to do with it. If you need impact sockets, Harbor Freight is a good spot for them. Cheap and lifetime warranty. I have not had a socket fail yet.

Tough to know for sure. I am sure your air intake is fine. (clean or dirty air filter?) Leads you back to spark/electrical or fuel related possibly.

With your acceleration issues, is it in a specific gear that this occurs? Specific speed range?

Spark/Electrical?
You replaced the camshaft sensor so the only thing left is the coil pack, wires, plugs and crankshaft sensor.

Fuel? Have you replaced the fuel filter? Anyway of finding out what the psi it when under WOT? (fuel pump) Bad fuel? Start adding Techron fuel cleaner to each tank? I’ve done this religiously every 3k miles and have never had a fuel issue. But I make sure and buy the Techron containers when they are 2 for $8 or 2 for $9.

O2 sensors going bad?

Just random thoughts…

Old 12-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Excellent! You wont be disappointed. Half the bolts I use the impact on want to turn themselves out before I break out the impact. They want nothing to do with it. If you need impact sockets, Harbor Freight is a good spot for them. Cheap and lifetime warranty. I have not had a socket fail yet.

Tough to know for sure. I am sure your air intake is fine. (clean or dirty air filter?) Leads you back to spark/electrical or fuel related possibly.

With your acceleration issues, is it in a specific gear that this occurs? Specific speed range?

Spark/Electrical?
You replaced the camshaft sensor so the only thing left is the coil pack, wires, plugs and crankshaft sensor.

Fuel? Have you replaced the fuel filter? Anyway of finding out what the psi it when under WOT? (fuel pump) Bad fuel? Start adding Techron fuel cleaner to each tank? I’ve done this religiously every 3k miles and have never had a fuel issue. But I make sure and buy the Techron containers when they are 2 for $8 or 2 for $9.

O2 sensors going bad?

Just random thoughts…
I only experience this problem when I floor it, this can be produced in any gear. If I gradually press on the gas it is completely fine. Air filter has been cleaned. I did recently change my spark plugs, but not sure if that could play a part in that. I'm still on stock coil pack, plugs, and crankshaft sensor. I never did get to install my boost gauge, but it does feel like my psi drops when I floor it, and then goes back up. I haven't changed the fuel filter, so I will definitely take a look. Also my o2 sensors were recently replaced, so they should be fine for some time.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:49 PM
Kristof
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you for the kind words! Sadly, there are not many LY Minis left anymore. Make sure you get that one back up and roadworthy!
Oh, its definitely on it way to being 100% roadworthy. I bought it about a month ago off of a lady that had let it sit in her yard over a year. She wore the clutch out and let someone inexperienced do the clutch job. Lets just say he botched that job really badly...

I got a really good deal on it. I decided to tackle the clutch job myself (very first time EVER doing anything like that) and I put a hood on it as well. Had some damage on it. Now It just nickel and dimes me to death doing some well deserved maintenance and up keep for a 14 year old car. Once i'm done replacing all the normal wear/tear parts it will be golden. Im just glad that I could save it and give it a good home. Plus it keeps his younger siblings (09' JCW Clubman) mileage and so forth low.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:23 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Successfully changed my wheel hubs today!! The impact wrench is simply amazing! But as soon as I fix one thing, another thing on the car breaks. My driver side window regulator crapped out on me today. I took off the door panel, and I saw one of the cables had broken off. Next job on the list...looks to be a pain the butt too!

Quick Reply: CooperSAZ's 2005 LY/Blk R53