Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

FIX: Key fob won't lock/unlock.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 AM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
FIX: Key fob won't lock/unlock.

Yesterday while walking back to my car in the rain my doors wouldn't unlock, even as I was right next to the car. Didn't want to get any wetter, so I put the key in the lock and jumped in.

Sat in the car pushing buttons nothing worked.
Got home searched NAM, no info.
Googled it, came across some random answers site, and got this weird voodoo fix:

1. Get in the car, close the door, unlock the car with the toggle on the center console.

2. Insert key into ignition, turn it all the way so that all the dash lights come on, and then turn it off (don't remove the key) do this on and off, 4 times.

3. Immediately remove the key, hold down the unlock button (on the remote) and press the lock button (also on the remote) 3 times. On the third press of the lock, release the lock and the unlock button together.

You'll hear the car try to unlock each door, and then lock the whole car.

*This is for 2005-2008 R50/52/53. For all 2002-2004 models you only have to do step 2 once.

This actually worked. When I read it I was like "yea right... bs" but I couldn't find anything short of replacing the locks or BCM, or a trip to the dealer, so I tried it and my jaw dropped.

I don't know what caused my key to stop working, and I don't know why this is the fix for it. Maybe someone knows.

The following 3 users liked this post by leaf_fan_1988:
rrkerri (09-04-2020), SiboldJCW (11-25-2020), wisconnie (09-17-2021)
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Have you also changed the remote battery?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 AM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Nope, haven't done anything new to the car since fall. except change to winter rims, and then to summer rims 2 weeks ago. At first I thought all the rain leaked in somewhere and shorted something out.

Also our remotes have an internal battery that is charged while it is in the ignition.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Also our remotes have an internal battery that is charged while it is in the ignition.
not on 2002-04.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 AM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Didn't know that.
So when you change the battery the remote no longer works till you do what I did?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:12 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
To ID your key, is it shaped like a "clamshell" or is it much flatter on both sides? The "clamshell" type keys were used in '02-'04 models I believe and have two buttons. They have a replaceable CR2032 battery. It can be taken out for up to 5 minutes (reportedly) but best practice is to swap out the battery as quickly as you can.

The flatter remote keys apparently have a rechargeable battery that supposedly doesn't need changing as it is soldered in, I believe.

Val

Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 PM
riceboy28
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darn..I switched out my rear view mirror and have not had much success "pairing" my keys with the new module. Was hoping this sequence would work but I tried it a few times with no luck as well as a couple of other sequences I have found online. The search continues....

Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by leaf_fan_1988
Nope, haven't done anything new to the car since fall. except change to winter rims, and then to summer rims 2 weeks ago. At first I thought all the rain leaked in somewhere and shorted something out.

Your MINI is about to the age where owners are buying new keys. The 05 and up 1st Gen models have a built in battery which is trickle charged when in the ignition. I recommend these owners swap between keys every month or so to keep them at peak charging for longevity.

The earlier models 02-04 require a one hour programing sequence you can only get frm MINI. ( an added cost to a key ) The later models like yours have a programing sequence you must perform before the buttons work. IMO your key needed some of that programing due to low batteries preventing the lock/unlock you experienced. They may work for a while now, but at some point will probably happen again.

New keys are appx $150.00. You need only provide copy of your drivers license and registration (names on both documents have to match ) to your local MINI dealer along with payment up front. ( images can be done by email or fax - if faxed set your machine to photo setting ! )

Keys typically arrive at the parts department next morning if the order and all documents were received by 3-3:30 pm week days.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 PM
JugoGoya
2nd Gear
Same exact problem, except my Cooper is an 09

Hey there guys, I have the same problem that my key fob will not lock/unlock the car. Any fixes for an 09 Cooper without coughing up $244 for a new key and 125 to reprogram each key on the car. I have replaced the battery and it worked for one day.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Cease
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good to know. I only got one fob with my MINI, called the dealer and they wanted $350 for the key and fob plus one hour of labor; out the door I was looking at $500 bucks for a new key!

I don't think there is anyway to get around the price, I don't think this will work for new keys. Anyone know? I may just get the spare non fob key for $65.00.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM
JugoGoya
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Cease
Good to know. I only got one fob with my MINI, called the dealer and they wanted $350 for the key and fob plus one hour of labor; out the door I was looking at $500 bucks for a new key!

I don't think there is anyway to get around the price, I don't think this will work for new keys. Anyone know? I may just get the spare non fob key for $65.00.
350 is way too much. What I can say is shop around. I have gotten parts very cheap at different dealerships. Each has their own markup. Morristown Mini in NJ is usually the cheapest for me. You can call them up. My quoted 244 is from Prestige Mini in NJ. Anyhow, do shop around as I have gotten parts from about 4 dealerships in NJ and NY. Got one part as far as Boston. You can get the original key from a dealer and just go to your own dealer for the sync. My quote was for an 09, if you have an older year it should be much cheaper since those keys were slightly different than the 09> ones.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:54 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
If the car is stored for an extended period, can the key be charged in the 1st position (not #2 "Run")? How long does it take to charge the internal battery?

Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Your MINI is about to the age where owners are buying new keys. The 05 and up 1st Gen models have a built in battery which is trickle charged when in the ignition. I recommend these owners swap between keys every month or so to keep them at peak charging for longevity.

The earlier models 02-04 require a one hour programing sequence you can only get frm MINI. ( an added cost to a key ) The later models like yours have a programing sequence you must perform before the buttons work. IMO your key needed some of that programing due to low batteries preventing the lock/unlock you experienced. They may work for a while now, but at some point will probably happen again.

New keys are appx $150.00. You need only provide copy of your drivers license and registration (names on both documents have to match ) to your local MINI dealer along with payment up front. ( images can be done by email or fax - if faxed set your machine to photo setting ! )

Keys typically arrive at the parts department next morning if the order and all documents were received by 3-3:30 pm week days.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 PM
dabarragan2010
Neutral
I have had the same problem in my 08

I figure my CPU is the cause in my case and that reprogramming should work although I have not done it.

I don't know if you guys are having the same problem as me, but sometimes my fob works and sometimes it doesn't. When it does work my settings when I turned my car off the last time it worked are saved. Like whether I was listening to radio or cd, or whether the AC was on.

When my fob doesn't work it diverts to the settings that I was running when i last used my car without opening with the fob.
In other words my car has multiple personalities.

Has to be CPU right?

So if there would be no other reason why your fob isn't working, i think it is likely in need of reprogramming.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:53 AM
Fatandre
3rd Gear
I have the same problem with my car. I disconnected the battery and after that both keys stopped working. Its a 2005 Mini R53 and I dont know what to do. I have tried to reprogram them but no luck. Before I did the unplug all worked fine.Any ideas?

Old 02-15-2017, 11:54 AM
*CharlieHustle
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fatandre
I have the same problem with my car. I disconnected the battery and after that both keys stopped working. Its a 2005 Mini R53 and I dont know what to do. I have tried to reprogram them but no luck. Before I did the unplug all worked fine.Any ideas?
I just had my key stop working last night. Tried the reset procedure turning the key 4 times and everything went back to normal. If you did nothing besides disconnecting the battery cable, this fix should work.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Fatandre
3rd Gear
Planning on getting some electric tools What brand to get?

Old 10-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Genetk44
Neutral
Yesterday while walking back to my car in the rain my doors wouldn't unlock, even as I was right next to the car. Didn't want to get any wetter, so I put the key in the lock and jumped in.

Googled it, came across some random answers site, and got this weird voodoo fix:

1. Get in the car, close the door, unlock the car with the toggle on the center console.

2. Insert key into ignition, turn it all the way so that all the dash lights come on, and then turn it off (don't remove the key) do this on and off, 4 times.

3. Immediately remove the key, hold down the unlock button (on the remote) and press the lock button (also on the remote) 3 times. On the third press of the lock, release the lock and the unlock button together.

*This is for 2005-2008 R50/52/53. For all 2002-2004 models you only have to do step 2 once.

This actually worked. When I read it I was like "yea right... bs" but I couldn't find anything short of replacing the locks or BCM, or a trip to the dealer, so I tried it and my jaw dropped.

I don't know what caused my key to stop working, and I don't know why this is the fix for it. Maybe someone knows.

Canada, 2007 Mini S convertible....had to get a new battery for the car and noticed a few days later that my key fob stopped working completely. Did the above procedure and worked like a charm...problem fixed compketely.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:51 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Has any one tried this with used internals from another key? ie: Will this reprogram the unlock remote AND immobilizer chip? Thanks.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:29 PM
djsam
Neutral
Only needed the first step.

I had this same issue (‘09 Cooper S) and all I had to do was cycle on/off three times. MINI made the chime, and key started working again.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Nam Nguyen
Neutral
This is magic thank you

Thank you so much!