Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Broken oil pump solenoid and thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 AM
baconista
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken oil pump solenoid and thermostat

Hi all,

I have a 2011 Clubman with 8K miles on it. The engine light came on and I brought it in to find out that the oil pump solenoid needs to be replaced, and it wasn't sending enough oil to the oil pump. I am worried this could potentially have caused long-term engine damage. In addition, the fan has been running long after the car was turned off, and they told me that the thermostat is faulty. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am getting increasingly worried as I see all the other posts about faulty parts! Is this just the beginning?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 AM
grgramps
4th Gear
One of the primary purposes of oil is to cool the engine. If the flow of oil is reduced then it would be expected that the engine would run hotter. This may account for the cooling fan running longer.

It may only be a coincidence that the thermostat is diagnosed as faulty. Since the car is under warranty, it's just as well that they replace the thermostat.

I can appreciate your concern about long term damage, so keep your paper work for future use if needed.

Keep us posted on the outcome - this is how we learn.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 PM
a2lmaker
Neutral
2011 Clubby S Thermostat issue

I just had the thermostat sensor unit replaced. Car had 1800 miles on it when the Check engine light came on. Car ran perfect. Service told me that MINI knows it is an issue with the N18 engines. Service told me the new thermostat unit is the latest revision.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
It'll be documented in the car's service record but that's about all. Mini will tell you nothing happened and I wouldn't worry about it since you still have plenty of warranty left.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by a2lmaker
I just had the thermostat sensor unit replaced. Car had 1800 miles on it when the Check engine light came on. Car ran perfect. Service told me that MINI knows it is an issue with the N18 engines. Service told me the new thermostat unit is the latest revision.
chalk another one up (pending the diagnosis by mini) for a faulty thermostat on an N18. i was driving out to church yesterday on an open highway, and when i parked in the lot, the fan came on. i found it kind of weird since the temps have been in the 50s-60s here in socal and i barely did any local driving. when i got out of church a couple of hours later and started my car, i got a yellow check engine light. i shut the car down immediately and the fan came on again. not wanting to throw caution to the wind, i had mini roadside come tow my car back to the dealership.
i'm guessing with pretty good certainty that it's a thermostat issue. waiting to hear from them to see what they find. for now, i have a justa clubman to toot around town in.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Summons
3rd Gear
If I am O/T please let me know - I'll repost eslewhere...

My question is: at what outside air temperature should I expect to no longer have the fan kick in after some ''spirited'' driving, or have owners had their fan kick in on the coldest days after engine shut down post ''spirited'' driving?

So my scenario: cold in the low 40s or 2-4C, highway (stable 103C Temp), get off and spirited drive to the lot 2KM away, and finally shut down - fan kicks on. 2012 MCS, no CELs, 5800KM.

Is this normal operation?
E

Old 12-06-2011, 03:53 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Summons
If I am O/T please let me know - I'll repost eslewhere...

My question is: at what outside air temperature should I expect to no longer have the fan kick in after some ''spirited'' driving, or have owners had their fan kick in on the coldest days after engine shut down post ''spirited'' driving?

So my scenario: cold in the low 40s or 2-4C, highway (stable 103C Temp), get off and spirited drive to the lot 2KM away, and finally shut down - fan kicks on. 2012 MCS, no CELs, 5800KM.

Is this normal operation?
E
while ambient temps might be a contributing factor to fans coming on, it's probably less of a factor than driving style. so even in temps as low as the 40s, if you drive the car hard enough, the fans will come on after you shut the car down. you might also want to check your coolant levels as well and make sure there's no leak. i imagine a reduced amount of coolant in the engine might cause the car the heat up prematurely.
if however you start the car and the fan comes on right away, then there's likely an issue.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:55 PM
jomama
4th Gear
just to follow up on my post #5, the dealership took care of the issue i was experiencing. it turns out that it was the thermostat. apparently, they replace the entire housing of the thermostat and put new/more antifreeze in. i also got a car wash and a loaner to drive around all day. not all bad, i guess. hopefully the new thermostat is a new/improved one.