Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

GPS ERROR NO disk found

Old 01-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Krklar
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep getting this annoying message on my GPS screen and the **** is kicked out of the player and it doesn't want to accept it when it is reinserted. I guess i have to take it in but i read the last GPS problem and I am concerned about the update and also I have had my ECU flashed for performance and I am not sure what this will affect??
Any advice?? This is an intermittant problem but becoming more and more regular

Old 01-28-2004, 08:28 PM
npartist
4th Gear
It sounds like the disc may be scratched or the player is messed up. Have you looked at the disc to see if it is scratch free. Do you have the CD or DVD based Nav system (i guess you have the CD based one cause you have a '03, like me). I am not sure if there has been a newer update but I got the one several months ago for my Nav but I wasn't having any problems. I don't think the GPS update is connected with the engine ECU but I could be wrong cause I know that the GPS update reset my fuel consumption and average speed numbers. Have you called your dealer, they might know a simple fix if it is common (but I haven't heard of it before).

Old 01-29-2004, 06:56 AM
Krklar
Neutral
Thanks for the info. The cd isn't scratched I think its the player. I will call the dealer and see if thier is a simple fix

Old 01-29-2004, 08:20 AM
MINIDean
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a February 03 MCS with the last of the CD versions. My NAV unit has done this about 8 times, but has stopped doing it over the past month. I would get the "No Disc" message and then I could hear the NAV unit trying to reload the disc that it tried to spit out earlier. I could hear the gears grinding in the eject mechanism. The next time it happened I opened the access door under the passenger seat and the disc ejected half way, then the NAV unit sucked it back in and I haven't had a problem since.

It's strange. I'm hoping it doesn't need to be replaced because my NAV unit does not have the "Press to Accept Legal Disclaimer" screen that new units have, and I don't want it. I would take the DVD unit just to display the outside temperature on the bottom of the screen while looking at the map. I wish the CD versions had this.

Just eject your disc, clean it, reload and hope for the best. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Krklar
Neutral
I have tried to reload the disk and it seems that the only way to get it to reset is to turn off the car and let it set for a few minutes. I too do not want the warning screen and will try to avoid it at all costs.
The problem seem to be very intermittant and just happens at the least opportune times.
Is there any way to reset the computer system other than the one I discribed??

Old 01-29-2004, 01:33 PM
kramseib
3rd Gear
GPS... An product that should have NEVER been included with the MINI! Motoring is meant to be fun. Half of the fun is asking directions. Even with the GPS you will still have problems. Plus... with the GPS the interior does not take on the look of the original Mini!
Sorry, can't help you here. But I will say, that I am having a damn good time motoring in my Mini in Germany.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:13 AM
MINIDean
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I guess my car heard me talking on this forum. This morning I got the famous "No Disc" error and heard the grinding from the NAV computer...Again. It's been just over a month since it has done this. I can't take it in because it is intermittant. My dealer will just laugh at me. I have to wait until it is totally dead before they replace it.

The grinding occured just as I unlocked my car and got in. When you open the door, I think a signal is sent to the NAV computer to get the system up and running and that's when the MINI wings come up to greet you. I got wings and grinding this morning and "No Disc". Fun!

I'll keep monitoring it...

Old 01-30-2004, 12:29 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
GPS... An product that should have NEVER been included with the MINI! Motoring is meant to be fun. Half of the fun is asking directions. Even with the GPS you will still have problems. Plus... with the GPS the interior does not take on the look of the original Mini!
Sorry, can't help you here. But I will say, that I am having a damn good time motoring in my Mini in Germany.
Thanks for nothing. We really didn't care...

[vent] I'm sorry but I just tired of non-GPS users spouting off whenever somebody asks a question about the Nav system. Nobody cares, your not helping anybody, save you time and leave us alone... [/vent]