Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

OMG Sunroof opened by itself and rain pored in

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG Sunroof opened by itself and rain pored in

I was at work and happened to walk out to my car after a turential downpour and found that my sunroof was open and car was saturated with water carpet and leather seats.I immediately grabbed some towels and started to get it as dry as I could.I drove home and continued to dry the car out. Leather and water don't mix,I put some leather conditioner and they're back to looking new again.I took the car into Mini of Annapolis to have him scan the car as I was afraid it might have done something to the electrical system.Thank god it did'nt.Has anyone else had this happen?Car is bone dry now as I was pretty quick to dry it out.If It had been any longer I think I would have had some damage.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:07 PM
kat1689
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do you have comfort access? I think thats what its called when you can have the key in your pocket and drive. I've read posts about this same problem. Glad to hear there was no damage!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kat1689
Do you have comfort access? I think thats what its called when you can have the key in your pocket and drive. I've read posts about this same problem. Glad to hear there was no damage!
Yes I do,but it was in my pocket at work.Was not near my car.Strange thing though A mini was parked a couple of cars down from me I'm wondering if they could have triggered it by some odd way.Who knows stranger things can happen

Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Mine did this last weekend. I thought I was going nuts. I came out to the car which was in the garage and the sunroof and windows were open. I thought maybe I sat on the keys or something but usually something like that cant happen from that far away. It only happened once.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:39 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by smoke05S
I think Mine did this last weekend. I thought I was going nuts. I came out to the car which was in the garage and the sunroof and windows were open. I thought maybe I sat on the keys or something but usually something like that cant happen from that far away. It only happened once.
Luckily yours was in the garage.On mine though why was it just my sunroof not windows as I am aware that you can hold down yous comfort access and it will open your windows and roof,Odd, mine was just the roof,Just hope it does not happen again

Old 05-21-2011, 05:54 AM
omaslaser
1st Gear
This happened on my 07 Oxy Blue. Fortunately, it happened in the garage and not in our delightfully rainy weather up here.

It is a well-known switch problem in the window controls. Northwest MINI ordered a part and fixed it right up.

So, don't second guess the comfort access, what you did, etc.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 AM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you lock your doors with the door button or with the remote? I'm trying to figure out the common thread in these window/sunroof openings to make sure I don't do it. I have a friend who had an '07 and she had it happen to her. She came out to her car in the morning to find ice on her seats and center console.

I tend to not lock the doors most of the time anyway. I figure there's nothing to steal in my car, so I'd rather them open the door and rummage through it than smash a window and rummage through it.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:00 AM
anuppercasej
5th Gear
If you hold the unlock button down on the fob for several seconds it will open the sunroof and the windows. I've walked out of my house many times and found my windows open because the button got pushed while in my pants pocket.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:54 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimize07
Yes I do,but it was in my pocket at work.Was not near my car.Strange thing though A mini was parked a couple of cars down from me I'm wondering if they could have triggered it by some odd way.Who knows stranger things can happen
How far away is your workplace from the car?
My fob will lock/unlock from over 100' away.
You could have triggered it walking to or from the car as well.

I have found my windows open and sunroof tilted a couple of times while at home (carport). Once after I had been in the crawl space under my house. So I was thinking the remote buttons got pushed by accident.
Also several times I have found my rear door (Clubman) opened.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by phinzup
Did you lock your doors with the door button or with the remote? I'm trying to figure out the common thread in these window/sunroof openings to make sure I don't do it. I have a friend who had an '07 and she had it happen to her. She came out to her car in the morning to find ice on her seats and center console.

I tend to not lock the doors most of the time anyway. I figure there's nothing to steal in my car, so I'd rather them open the door and rummage through it than smash a window and rummage through it.
I'm like you ,don't lock the doors so it definately was not the cause.Dealer said he could not figure it out either I'm really glad that it didn't ruin anything electrical.It was'nt the windows just the sunroof,go figure

Old 05-21-2011, 04:07 PM
CoolantGuy
3rd Gear
I was detailing my bike a couple of weeks ago.In my garage and had my fob in my pocket must of moved a certain way were my were my unlock button was getting pressed and wala my windows and roof opened.So if your in range it could happen

Old 05-21-2011, 04:15 PM
phinzup
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm like you ,don't lock the doors so it definately was not the cause.Dealer said he could not figure it out either I'm really glad that it didn't ruin anything electrical.It was'nt the windows just the sunroof,go figure
It didn't ruin anything electrical yet. Make sure you keep your windows open when it's hot outside to let the condensation out from the moisture that is most likely still in your carpet.

I left the top down on my Miata in a downpour one time. It had 2" of water standing in the floorboards. Until I pulled the carpet, seats and console out it looked like a terrarium if I left the top up and windows up. All the condensation was pretty bad. I pulled most of the interior out and left it open in direct sun for a couple of days to dry it out. When I pulled the dashboard out 4-5 years later to do the interior swap, you could see where the moisture had caused some rust up under the dash.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:49 PM
klricks
4th Gear
In that case it wasn't a fob button that opened the SR because when done by holding the fob unlock button, 1st the windows roll all the way down... Then the sunroof goes to vent position and stops. Never all the way open. Takes about 10 seconds of holding the button down.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
Agreed. I was thinking the same thing the whole time I was reading this. The fob only tilts the sunroof. Never does it actually open it. Hard to believe it could be the fob.