Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Yo Yo and Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM
minicoopergrl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yo Yo and Stumble

I know these are older threads but Im not having the best of luck trying to find them.

The past few days as im driving, im noticing a slight flutter or a hesitation when im driving. It always in 3rd gear and up and when at speeds of 50mph or more. The first time I noticed it I was using my cruise control, I turned off the CC and didnt notice a problem until the next day. Now as I was driving home my DSC light came on when taking a turn. This normally wouldnt be a big issue but its 60+degrees currently and I dont take turns that hard enough for the light to come on. I turned on the car again and now my Check Engine Light is on.

That has me all types of worried. Ive replace the clutch and the transmission (listed in a different post) a year ago along with a valve spring. My husband had informed me that if there is any more major work that needs to be done to the car, he is getting rid of it. I dont want to get rid of my MINI, I love my Ellie like a 3rd child. I still have a few more years left on my loan and I cant really afford to get another car and get stuck with a higher payment.

If anyone could give me the links to view these that would be great!

Old 04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
I use www.google.com, and add the trick! That is "site:northamericanmotoring.com" in addition to what I am really interested in. The trick tells Google only to give you results from the Forums here.

Good hunting.

I found:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hronicles.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...collected.html

You might do better though.

I cannot resist sticking in my 2 cents though. Can you get someone that will tell you what code(s) are triggering the SES light? That might help.

And for Heaven's sake don't panic - it might be quite manageable.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM
minicoopergrl
2nd Gear
Thats actually what im looking for right now. My FIL has a code reader and honestly im afraid of asking him to check it. He normally gripes about how much of a POS that I drive and I would be much better off driving a GM product. I saw a few places will do a diagnostic for free so I plan to do that right away.

Thank you for finding those threads!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 PM
lovemymini07
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minicoopergrl
Thats actually what im looking for right now. My FIL has a code reader and honestly im afraid of asking him to check it. He normally gripes about how much of a POS that I drive and I would be much better off driving a GM product. I saw a few places will do a diagnostic for free so I plan to do that right away.

Thank you for finding those threads!
Take it to Autozone as they will ck it for free.Its a start anyway.Get the cde and make your decision from there.Might be your o2 sensor or fouled spark plugs(easy fix)Have you been using top tier gas like 91 or above grade?I had a similiar situation with a Shell station out of town as I always put in V-Power 93,but this particular station (mycar 07 MCSa)started to run horribly.I ran the tank to empty and filled it up again at my local Shell and my car runs smoothly again.As I said in another post with gas prices rising who knows what the stations are adding...Scarry thought for our little Minis

Old 04-06-2011, 04:24 PM
minicoopergrl
2nd Gear
You know I've been thinking about your post. I always put 91 or better in the car - no questions asked. I filled up last week at a different gas station than I normally do, so it could be that.

They pulled the code P2300 - Ignition Coil. A primary control circuit low. I thought I had replaced the ignition coil last year when we has issues with the valve spring.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Try looking at the back 2 pins on the coil.
They have a habit of getting corroded.
Clean pins with a stainless steel wire brush.
Spray with some CRC Electrical cleaner.
Replug spark wires.
Would also check plugs while your in that area.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 PM
minicoopergrl
2nd Gear
Small update - the code has cleared itself out. Phew! I feel a bit better now but I'm totally looking up that code still

Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
minicoopergrl
2nd Gear
ok, false alarm. It came back on again and now im experiencing the same issues I had when the valve spring broke.

Dear Karma, WTF did I do to be treated like this with my car.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:54 AM
minicoopergrl
2nd Gear
Heres a small update on my Ellie:

Husband replaced the ignition wires and spark plugs. It runs well when its been sitting for a long time (over 8hrs). SES light comes on/off randomly now and if its been running for a while (over 30min) the DSC light pops on. Thats when the trouble starts. I recorded what it sounds like so I could play it back to my husban but he hasnt had time to listen to it.

When the spark plugs were removed, he notice a brown liquid on the 3rd cylinder spark plug was. It wasnt on the threads but more where the part no is labeled.

It pretty much feels like somewhere in the car it takes in too much air and holds it for a second or two and then goes back to normal. Almost like theres air in the line somewhere. When it takes in the air its hard to speed up. I could have the gas all the way down and I still wont get past the speed that im in.

Right now, Husband is also thinking this could be a fuel filter issue. So I plan on ordering one and possibly replacing it myself on Friday when im off (any good place to get them, id rather get it asap). Im also ruling out the bad gas so im running my car to E and fueling up somewhere else.

Hopefully im on the right track to getting this crap fixed.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 AM
minicoopergrl
2nd Gear
Update 2.0

I started putting the Chevron fuel injector cleaner and started using the name brand top tier gas (Shell recently). After alot of reading and researching I thought my issues were due to the fuel injectors. Made alot of sense and since I did buy it used, who knows how much build up is really there. And who knows if anyone was putting top tier in it?

It seems to run well when its full of gas and the Chevron stuff is in it. I started putting Sea Foam in the engine as well. I keep thinking that if I keep it cleaned things would improve. It works all fine and dandy until 1/4 tank left.

The light still comes on (DSC and SES), and im still facing those issues. When its got the additives its better, just not back to normal. Husband disconnected the battery for a bit to see if it may fix my problem - it made it worse.

something is making my gas go super lean (like im talking 50+mpg! But im not complaining about that!)

Any other suggestions before Ellie goes to the dealer?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:07 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minicoopergrl
Update 2.0

I started putting the Chevron fuel injector cleaner and started using the name brand top tier gas (Shell recently). After alot of reading and researching I thought my issues were due to the fuel injectors. Made alot of sense and since I did buy it used, who knows how much build up is really there. And who knows if anyone was putting top tier in it?

It seems to run well when its full of gas and the Chevron stuff is in it. I started putting Sea Foam in the engine as well. I keep thinking that if I keep it cleaned things would improve. It works all fine and dandy until 1/4 tank left.

The light still comes on (DSC and SES), and im still facing those issues. When its got the additives its better, just not back to normal. Husband disconnected the battery for a bit to see if it may fix my problem - it made it worse.

something is making my gas go super lean (like im talking 50+mpg! But im not complaining about that!)

Any other suggestions before Ellie goes to the dealer?
Sometimes if the spark plugs are not gapped right or you have put in wrong set can cause problems...Look in your manual and read what they are I think they use the NGK or Beru not sure.Have you changed out the fuel filter MINI won't do it as they say its "lifetime"bull cr-p.Mine was black at 50,000mi.Also, have you changed your air filter.Little things like these can make a big difference in performance.Be careful in putting too much Techron in it. I use it about every 3-4000 mi or just before oil change.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:44 AM
minicoopergrl
2nd Gear
Fuel Filter was changed out about a month ago. Yep, dirty as anything!!! I havent changed the air filter but I know its about time to change that out.

The spark plugs were replaced first (cheap and easy fixes first), I know they were different than the ones that were in the car but I dont remember. But I will check my manual when I get home today.

Ellie also needs an oil change shortly as well too, so im gonna make the Husband change that out this weekend.

Now my MPG reader is reading 99.9!!! I resetted it thinking maybe it was a glitch, went back to 99.9, resetted the ECU with the key - stil 99.9. My gas isnt running that lean since I have watched the gas gauge drop as a I drive (I have about a 20mil commute one way for work, normally I get about 34mpg). So now im thinking maybe thats broken and could a culprit to my issues.