Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cooling fan replaced. New problem arose.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Toki
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what happened so far -- AC wasn't working, low speed cooling fan wasn't working, fuses were fine, etc. I began by replacing the cooling fan, which didn't solve anything. I then turned to the compressor and replaced that.

After replacing the cooling fan and compressor, I have a new problem. The AC seems to be working fairly well, but the cooling fan is only running on high speed (and PS fan comes on) whenever I run the AC. I read that this may be happening because the AC pressure is too high. So, after relieving some of the pressure, the cooling fan will still only run on high speed, but it cycles on and off, repeatedly - every 30 seconds or so.

From everything that I've read, it would seem that my cooling fan needs to be replaced; however, since I just replaced it with one from RockAuto, I'm a little reluctant to try another one. Any other thoughts? Also, I just moved to Hawaii and do not know any trustworthy mechanics, so I'm trying to avoid taking it to a shop where there's a chance I'll just get ripped off.

Side note: one of the connectors (the smaller of the two) on the RockAuto cooling fan would not properly 'clip' into the female connector. I could plug it in to the corresponding connector, but it was slightly longer than the old connector, so it wouldn't clip/lock into place. So, I cut of RockAuto connector and used the old cooling fan's connector, using those twisty wire connector caps (excuse my lack of electrical terminology). I'm starting to wonder if they sent me the wrong fan? Everything else looks identical, though.

Thanks in advance!
- Trenton

Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Ah

you did a DIY replacement of the fan assembly

hmmmmm

dealer replacement has a two year warranty

Old 09-17-2010, 04:30 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
There are three fan assemblies for our cars. Depending on when your MINI was manufactured will depend on the which one you are supposed to have....

05/06 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

March 03-04 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

02/March 03' - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

This place is where I purchased my replacement. Life time warranty and I have spoken with them on the phone as well. They return phone calls and they sell a ton of these every year never having had one come back.....

Old 09-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Toki
Side note: one of the connectors (the smaller of the two) on the RockAuto cooling fan would not properly 'clip' into the female connector. ...So, I cut off the RockAuto connector and used the old cooling fan's connector...
I used a Rock Auto fan when I did a replacement this July. The connector did not go in easily but it did go in with some pushing. And the fan works perfectly.

As -=gRay rAvEn=- says there are three different fans. Rock Auto had them all and in fact had two different manufacturers fans when I called. I had no real basis to decide which to get so I went with the more expensive one that was about $100. They later called and said that one was out of stock and was it alright to send the other one. I said sure and they sent it and $20 as it was cheaper. And again, it is working fine without any splicing.

What I would do is make sure you both have the right fan and that if you do, that all the wires are soldered and connected solidly.

As for your A/C. Don't take this wrong as it is not intended that way. The A/C system is expensive and requires special tools to work on. Even though a lot of people charge it with a "can" it really is critical how much Freon is in the system. And it is a closed system and should not leak out even over long periods of time. If it is low on charge, there is a problem that should be attended to. At this point you clearly have too little Freon. And a new compressor which is a recipe for disaster with a low charge as it gets lubricated with the Freon. I would get it to a shop that specializes in A/C. There have to be lots of those in your neck of the ocean. The Mini A/C is no different than any other and any competent shop can troubleshoot it for you.

Rich

Last edited by Rich.Wolfson; 09-17-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Toki
Neutral
First off, thanks for all the replies! And yes, I made sure I ordered the right one. I have a Feb. '03 build, so I ordered the one for 'up to 03/03.' Rich, it seemed like I just had to push it in a little more, but I swear it would not go any further. In any case, I have re-checked the connections a few times and they seem good.

IIRC, the pressure switch only regulates the operation of the compressor, right? So, since my compressor is running/clutch engaging, then that rules that out.

I'm considering getting my AC evac and recharged professionally; I had it evac'd professionally before I replaced the compressor, but I recharged it myself. Or, ordering a new cooling fan assembly. I can't think of anything else.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Toki
Neutral
I think I'm going to take her in to the dealership next week, though, I'm sure they'll charge an arm and a leg just to diagnose the problem. I'm positive the AC is working and blowing cold. It's just the cooling fan that is only running on high, even when coolant temps are in the low speed range. But everyone with a failed low speed fan says that their AC blows warm, which is not my case :/

Old 09-18-2010, 02:52 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Toki
I think I'm going to take her in to the dealership next week, though, I'm sure they'll charge an arm and a leg just to diagnose the problem. I'm positive the AC is working and blowing cold. It's just the cooling fan that is only running on high, even when coolant temps are in the low speed range. But everyone with a failed low speed fan says that their AC blows warm, which is not my case :/
The AC blows warm with the Low speed fan perhaps should be quantified....
If there is air moving over the condensor...IE you are driving...then the ac works fine..at least in my experience.....and when not moving on a hot day...not as ICE BOX cold...just cool...when fixed, I can keep my car ICE BOX COLD MOVING OR STOPPED.

It sounds a bit like you got a bad resistor...it would not surprise me to hear than somebody cut the old one off their old fan, put it on the new fan after removing the new one and returned it...I bet it has happened before...was the fan shrink wrapped to a cardboard piece in the bigger box....IE factory sealed...or was it just packed in the box with some stuff to keep it from bumping around. Did you compare the low speed resistor...just looking at them, you can usually determine if they are failed...and yours seems to be behaving like it has failed....weather from the resistor failing, or perhaps a wiring or computer issue....Look closely at the connections...the fact you had to rewire the connector is a bit suspicious....mine fit perfectly first time.....tight and snug...

Old 09-18-2010, 03:20 PM
kazlot
4th Gear

I may be mis-understanding the problem, but if I'm not...

I've read that the cooling fan speeds are low and high based on actual coolant temperature.
I think low is 170 to 210 but I can't remember the high temps numbers.

It's also my understanding that the default fan speed for the A/C is high and not temperature controlled.

Hope this helps...

Old 09-18-2010, 05:02 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Nope...the AC turns on the Fan to low (also it is coolant temp controlled, low or hi depending o the temp)........rapid cycling about 2 minutes with the AC on) is the EXACT symptom of a failed low speed fan.....also it cycles with a hot engine, AC off on the same manner.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:20 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do a search for "Radiator fan and power steering fan"; the operating temperatures at which low and high speed should come on are reported in the post. You will need to monitor the ECT parameter using a generic OBD scan tool. If the low speed temperature is met and the fan does not run then check the (relevant fan connector pin) for power (battery voltage)
If battery voltage is present then the problem is past the connector and is in the fan unit itself. If no power is present you could try to jump power over to the pin and see if the fan runs. I do not advise jumping anything if you are not familiar with electrical wiring or the specific circuit in question. Hope this helps and please advise how you make out.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by kazlot
I may be mis-understanding the problem, but if I'm not...

I've read that the cooling fan speeds are low and high based on actual coolant temperature.
I think low is 170 to 210 but I can't remember the high temps numbers.

It's also my understanding that the default fan speed for the A/C is high and not temperature controlled.

Hope this helps...
Per the Bentley manual, and confirmed by my ScanGauge, the fan operates at low speed at 221F, and turns off at 214F. The fan switches to high speed at 234F and remains on high until the coolant temps drops by 7F. Supposedly it also turns on when the AC is on and the AC system pressure reaches 8 bar (114psi)

Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 AM
kazlot
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Per the Bentley manual, and confirmed by my ScanGauge, the fan operates at low speed at 221F, and turns off at 214F. The fan switches to high speed at 234F and remains on high until the coolant temps drops by 7F. Supposedly it also turns on when the AC is on and the AC system pressure reaches 8 bar (114psi)
Thanks for the correction on the temps.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:46 PM
hardiek
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
There are three fan assemblies for our cars. Depending on when your MINI was manufactured will depend on the which one you are supposed to have....

05/06 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

March 03-04 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

02/March 03' - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

This place is where I purchased my replacement. Life time warranty and I have spoken with them on the phone as well. They return phone calls and they sell a ton of these every year never having had one come back.....
Where exactly is this fan located? Is this the radiator fan directly behind the radiator? Thanks.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hardiek
Is this the radiator fan directly behind the radiator?
Yes.