Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

fuel cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
GregO
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel cleaner

Regarding fuel cleaners, what are the better products to use for an
06 MCS? BG44K? And how often?

Thanks!
Greg

Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Years ago I met and spoke with a gent that works for Seimen's in Newport News Virginia. That particular location rebuilds fuel injectors. When he mentioned his job, I asked him which fuel system cleaner works best and he told me that they use Chevron's Techroline fuel injector cleaner exclusively. That is the only thing I've used since that day about 10 years ago and I have never had a fuel system related problem.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I use a Valvoline complete fuel system cleaner, it is said to clean combustion chambers and valves too.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lucas Injector cleaner gets rave revues from a lot of people I've talked to. I use Chevron gas exclusively, and even with that I dump a bottle of Lucas in all of my cars each spring and fall. Never any fuel system problems.
-skip-

Old 04-18-2008, 04:34 AM
GregO
4th Gear
thanks

Cool. Thank you all for the quick replies!

Greg

Old 04-18-2008, 06:59 AM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Another Chevron Techron user here, mostly due to my regional rep giving me 2 cases when we had multiple cars with carboned up intake valves. I am doing a test right now, I took my head off to replace it with a P and P'ed one and noticed some carbon on my piston tops(I don't know how with the way I drive). So I got the Techron for my car and put it in, saved the gas receipt with the fillup up at Shell(one of the BMW/MINI top tier listed stations), and am going to look at the pistons soon with a Boroscope. I will post back the results.

Chad

Old 04-18-2008, 08:42 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A previous discussion https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=126946 , post #29 for my experience.

An engine builder I respect has found there is more power to be had from a combustion chamber with carbon deposits than a clean one. Carbon deposits on the piston crown aren't a bad thing for him.

Last edited by k-huevo; 04-18-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Claymore
Caffeine Junkie
BG44K, every 7500 miles

Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM
ga1051
1st Gear
The only problem with combustion chamber with carbon deposits is that they can cause pre-ignition when the engine gets hot.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use SeaFoam.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
But I want a bottle of something that will clean everything, remove all the deposits everywhere, rebuild the metal on my piston rings and bearings, increase my gas mileage 50%, add new tread to my tires and clean and wax the paint, tighten all loose nuts and bolts and remove that stinky smelly thing from my driver's seat, oh forget that last one, that would be me.... all in one step..... can anyone help me here?

YD

Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear
Well I have only added a fuel cleaner or additive to my 66 Ford F100 pickup. I guess I may have to try it in the MINI.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:42 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
But I want a bottle of something that will clean everything, remove all the deposits everywhere, rebuild the metal on my piston rings and bearings, increase my gas mileage 50%, add new tread to my tires and clean and wax the paint, tighten all loose nuts and bolts and remove that stinky smelly thing from my driver's seat, oh forget that last one, that would be me.... all in one step..... can anyone help me here?

YD
You sure Palo Uber doesn't have something like that?

SeaFoam if used correctly will clean the Cylinders, Pistons, Valves, Fuel Injectors, Gas Tank, and everything else. It's really great stuff!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Big-Daddy-Blue
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
I use SeaFoam.
I also use Seafoam! Great stuff

Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
I dont know much about these, but i was told by a friend who works as a GM Master Mechanic, that you dont want to use injector cleaners more than a couple times a year, more often they can damage the injector coil insulation. He has replaced several vehicles injectors more than once-after the customer had the service done, they wanted to prevent any further damage (so they were using cleaners). Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Striped Toad
I dont know much about these, but i was told by a friend who works as a GM Master Mechanic, that you dont want to use injector cleaners more than a couple times a year, more often they can damage the injector coil insulation. He has replaced several vehicles injectors more than once-after the customer had the service done, they wanted to prevent any further damage (so they were using cleaners). Just my 2 cents.
Most definitely. It's like salt. Use the right amount and the food tastes great. Too much and...
Do it twice a year: Daylight savings time changes are my markers, spring and fall (I know, I know, that leaves the Arizona bunch at a loss, but that's the tradeoff for all that sunshine!)
-skip-

Old 04-19-2008, 06:52 AM
javelina1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by skip.irving
(I know, I know, that leaves the Arizona bunch at a loss, but that's the tradeoff for all that sunshine!)
-skip-
Niice!!!

Old 04-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Handsome Rob
4th Gear
I use 44K every 5k miles. You can do a full fuel system clean.

BG offers a 5 part fuel system clean that consists of: 44k, air intake clean (idle air control system, throttle plate, throttle body, and plenum), combustion chamber (injectors, intake valves, cylinder heads, and piston crowns), fuel induction (fuel rail intake manifold, injectors, and intake valves), and egr (intake ports and tubes, internal runners, and exhaust ports and tubes). I usually recommend all of this once a year and run a can of 44k every 5-7500k miles.

BG products are really good stuff.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Also, you dont want to soak fuel injectors in these chemicals either- this can cause damage to the coil insulation and internal seals as well. Besides, you can't get them clean by soaking (unless you have them sent out).

Old 04-20-2008, 08:08 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Chevron w/techron is what BMW/MINI sells under there name. They rec using it roughly every 3k miles i think to prevent sulfur build up on the fuel tank sender circuit board and keep the fuel pump and injectors clean. Here is a small write up I found on a site im also on. A properly tuned engine is required for optimal engine performance. Unless the vehicle is tuned to factory specifications, catalyst and emission related problems including catalyst efficiency codes can be triggered. Today’s tune-up no longer simply consists of replacing plugs and checking fluids. Due to tighter engine tolerances and more sophisticated controls, additional work may need to be performed to prevent and correct emission related codes. How Does Carbon Build–Up Affect Engine Performance? As the engine operates, carbon deposits may form in places such as the valves, ports, pistons, head gasket and piston rings. This carbon can interfere with normal combustion is several ways. It can alter the engines operating temperature, compression ratio, and several other important factors involved with combustion and sensor readings. How Can Carbon Alter the Sensor Readings? The carbon contributes to abnormal combustion in several ways, but the most dramatic effect in a modern fuel injected engine is the “sponge effect”. As the fuel mixture in the cylinder is compressed, the carbon has a tendency to absorb both oxygen and fuel. Once the ignition spark fires, the flame front normally spreads through the chamber, consuming the fuel and air, however, the carbon has a tendency to extinguish the flame front and stifle combustion. This, combined with the fuel and air that was absorbed, results in poor efficiency. As the chamber decompresses during the exhaust portion of the stroke, the unburned fuel and air is released, resulting in both excessive fuel and air (containing oxygen) entering the exhaust system. The O2 sensor detects the excessive oxygen and the vehicle computer (ECM, ECU, PCM) compensates for this by enriching the mixture. This causes poor catalyst efficiency, and increased carbon formation. The situation is aggravated by the overly rich mixture, resulting in the engine’s failure to reach a sufficient temperature to remove these deposits. In addition, the excess fuel can permanently damage the catalyst or cause meltdown (on the outlet side as opposed to the inlet) and can get hot enough to melt stainless steel substrates. Does Carbon Alter Combustion in Other Ways? Absolutely, in addition to causing poor combustion, excessive build up can also alter the vehicle’s compression ratio. The carbon fills up spaces around the piston rings, head gasket, and spark plugs. This decreases the amount of space that is available in the combustion chamber. This increases the compression, which can cause the engine to overheat, ping (detonate), and also causes an increase in NOX emissions. Due to the fact that the carbon can retain oxygen from the combustion process, it can cause another interesting effect that can cause the vehicle to either trigger a light or fail an emissions test. A catalytic converter requires certain conditions to break down harmful emissions. It requires a slightly rich mixture and a low oxygen level in the exhaust system to break down NOX. Because the carbon causes increased NOX emissions and also causes excessive oxygen to leave the combustion chamber unconsumed, this actually impairs the catalyst’s ability to remove the NOX from the exhaust.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Sorry about it being all bunched up but the site has been freaking out on my comp and nothing is working...surprised im able to post

Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM
JWalls
1st Gear
I work for NAPA. In one of my former jobs here, I was charged with purchasing all the fuel cleaning chemicals for the company. I have tried most every one that is sold on the market today. Most will work fine. Some companies have better marketing departments than research and development, but that is a story for another day. If I were to pick say the top three, here is what I would use:
1. Lucas fuel treatment - I put a bottle of that in the tank about every three thousand miles. It keeps everything squeaky clean.
2. SeaFoam - This stuff is good for everything that burns fuel. I used this before I started using Lucas. It is very strong and can be used as a fuel preservative if you are storing the car or lawnmower or whatever for an extended period. If you need an intake manifold spray cleaner, Deep Creep is Sea Foam in an aerosol version.
3. Chevron with Techron This is a good product that can be found every where that sells fuel additives.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:25 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Claymore
BG44K, every 7500 miles
+1 on this

Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JWalls
If I were to pick say the top three, here is what I would use:
1. Lucas fuel treatment - I put a bottle of that in the tank about every three thousand miles. It keeps everything squeaky clean.
2. SeaFoam - This stuff is good for everything that burns fuel. I used this before I started using Lucas. It is very strong and can be used as a fuel preservative if you are storing the car or lawnmower or whatever for an extended period. If you need an intake manifold spray cleaner, Deep Creep is Sea Foam in an aerosol version.
3. Chevron with Techron This is a good product that can be found every where that sells fuel additives.
100% agreement, and in that order. Used them all, recommended them all. Got the most positive feedback from the Lucas users.
-skip-