Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

DEALER JUST REPLACED DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Tampa MCS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEALER JUST REPLACED DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL

I've been having the infamous ratteling flywheel problem and I finally took my R53 to the dealer to have it checked out. I printed out the service bulletin for the DMF problem and brought it with me and that's exactly what it was. They gave me a loaner MINI (non-S) and within one day they had the thing changed out. Unfortunaltey, they did not change out the clutch, but the tech stated that it was in good shape.

Even though the communication was very poor once I dropped off my car (had to call three times to get a status) I was very impressed with the speed of service at the dealer (Ferman in Palm Harbor). It was a bit of a drive for me, but well worth it. No more annoying helicopter noise in my transmission. The tech even adjusted the clutch to where it's much more comfortable to drive.

Let's hope that this is the last time I need to see the dealer for warranty repair.

Here is the site I used for the Mini Tech Bulletins. It cost me a couple of dollars for access, but I think it helped me from getting the run around at the dealer. Even though it's a well known problem, I think that they'd rather not change it out unless they have to. The service bulletin clearly states that they will only do so if the customer complains.

http://www.minitechinfo.com/

Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Big-Daddy-Blue
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the prices on that site are really high!

$30 for one day (24 hour period)...HOLY CRAP!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Tampa MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Big-Daddy-Blue
the prices on that site are really high!

$30 for one day (24 hour period)...HOLY CRAP!
I agree, but it's the MINI site and it was 30 bucks well spent for me.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Bradley99
3rd Gear
Orlando MINI replaced mine - picked it up today. No rattle. They replaced flywheel and clutch. Clutch was remanufactured and seems to have a lighter feel. I don't care for the excessive over center feel to the pedal. I'll get used to it.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Tampa MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bradley99
Orlando MINI replaced mine - picked it up today. No rattle. They replaced flywheel and clutch. Clutch was remanufactured and seems to have a lighter feel. I don't care for the excessive over center feel to the pedal. I'll get used to it.
How did you like the service up at the Orlando dealer? The service at Ferman was good, but they only have one service guy which means it's a pain to get a hold of him. I wanted them to change out my clutch too, but by the time I got a hold of him the tech was pretty much done. Thinking about going to Orlando if I have any future problems.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Bradley99
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tampa MCS
How did you like the service up at the Orlando dealer? <snip> Thinking about going to Orlando if I have any future problems.
I have ten days left on the warranty. So far I have had window motors and a shifter cable replaced. Now the flywheel. I dropped it off for inspection and they called me at a nearby coffee shop after about ten minutes and told me to make an appointment for a flywheel and clutch replacement. They said it would take a day and a half. I dropped it off Thurs about 1pm and they called Fri at 8:30AM to tell me it was ready - was told they ran an extra shift Thurs night. I have no complaints with the Orlando shop.

Orlando MINI is moving to a new facility - I forget where he said it is to be but I think it might be closer to you than to me (I'm on the east coast). I don't know how many techs they have but the current shop has (I think) three bays. They could use the room.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:39 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
What year is your MCS?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Bradley99
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
What year is your MCS?
2004. I'm hearing a rattle in the new flywheel also. Oh well.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Tampa MCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bradley99
2004. I'm hearing a rattle in the new flywheel also. Oh well.
That's pretty weird....I'd take it back to the dealer that did it. Maybe it's your throw out bearing. Mine is quite....