Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Sunroof rattle #236

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof rattle #236

I searched, but had no luck finding a similar complaint.

While driving at normal speeds (30-80mph) and with the sunroof closed, there's a noticeable rattle coming from the sunroof air deflector housing, and if I reach my hand up and put my fingers between the glass and the housing and press down on the housing, it goes away completely. My usual solution is to stuff my wallet between the glass and the housing while I'm driving, but I've forgotten it there once or twice, so I'd like to fix it the right way

Any ideas? I can't imagine I'm the only one that's had this happen, and I'm sure there's a more scientific way of fixing it! Thanks!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 AM
The Italian Job
1st Gear
Same thing on my 2002

Mine started almost immediately after I got the car. One dealer used little round rubber bumpers (similar to ones used on cabinet doors or drawers) on the air deflector flaps that pop up when the sunroof is pulled back. Those popped off after a while.

Another dealer used the felt like side of some velcro tape to act as a cushion. You know, the loop side of a hook and loop fastener. That didn't work as well and despite his claims that it would be a more hidden fix I thought it was more obvious.

The tech claimed that MINI had new springs for those deflectors to address the problem and that he ordered some for my car. I don't know if they were supposed to be softer or stronger, I never received them.

The long and short is, I went back to the rubber bumpers; they stopped the rattle completely. I bought a pack of 16 or so of these little 1/4" hemispherical bumpers for a few dollars and keep them in my glove box. About once a year the adhesive gives up on one of them and it falls off. I have the replacement ready and just keep on motoring.

I use clear ones because I haven't been able to fine them in the black that East Bay Mini used the first time. I never go back there so I didn't get a chance to ask their source.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Wow, excellent answer - very helpful! Where do you stick the bumpers, or is it obvious when I open my sunroof and see where everything contacts?

Originally Posted by The Italian Job
Mine started almost immediately after I got the car. One dealer used little round rubber bumpers (similar to ones used on cabinet doors or drawers) on the air deflector flaps that pop up when the sunroof is pulled back. Those popped off after a while.

Another dealer used the felt like side of some velcro tape to act as a cushion. You know, the loop side of a hook and loop fastener. That didn't work as well and despite his claims that it would be a more hidden fix I thought it was more obvious.

The tech claimed that MINI had new springs for those deflectors to address the problem and that he ordered some for my car. I don't know if they were supposed to be softer or stronger, I never received them.

The long and short is, I went back to the rubber bumpers; they stopped the rattle completely. I bought a pack of 16 or so of these little 1/4" hemispherical bumpers for a few dollars and keep them in my glove box. About once a year the adhesive gives up on one of them and it falls off. I have the replacement ready and just keep on motoring.

I use clear ones because I haven't been able to fine them in the black that East Bay Mini used the first time. I never go back there so I didn't get a chance to ask their source.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:19 PM
The Italian Job
1st Gear
It's a little bit of trial and error. I centered mine left to right one on each flap. Vertically they have to be low enought that as the sunroof comes in contact with the flaps it doesn't try to scrape the bumper off, but if you put them right on the bottom then they don't come into enough contact to stop the rattle. I haven't had to mess with them in a while but I think they are one third of the way up the deflector flap or so.

I hope it works out as well for you as it did for me. I hate rattles. Let me know if have any other questions, I know I am not the most articulate poster here. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 PM
earlrabbit
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the same sounding rattle in mine as well. Can someone post pics showing where to put the little rubber dodads?
Thanks

Old 01-17-2008, 06:11 AM
The Italian Job
1st Gear
I'll take some a pic and post as soon as I get a chance. I've been swamped between work, family, and the Naval Reserves. Maybe I can get a picture up this evening.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same rattle, my dealer put a thirty cent piece of adhesive-backed felt on the sunroof frame where it meets the defelctor, problem solved.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 PM
YY_MINI
2nd Gear
gokaht, Is your Mini still under warranty?
If yes,
Keep reading;
Else if no,
not much help here, and best luck!
end if

(I think I wrote too much code today...)

Anyways, Sunroof on my 03MC made a little click noise when it's openning. I went to dealer and complain about it, 1 month before it runs out of warranty. Dealer replaced the whole sunroof assembly for me.

My point is that I would press dealer for some better solutions, rather than put a little bumper thingy. At least they need to change some parts for you!
Well, if you need to pay for any repair, do the rubber bumper thingy!