Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Transmission: Rebuild or remanufactured?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:22 PM
RonP
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission: Rebuild or remanufactured?

Now that my 5-speed manual is in the shop and is getting ready to be opened up tomorrow, depending on what they find I was told that it may need rebuilt or replaced with a remanufactured one.

I was told by MINI of Irvine that a remanufactured one only uses the outer shell, everything on the inside is 100% new. A rebuild, I would assume, would mean some old and some new parts mixed up together and that is not something I'd want.

I'm not sure what they'll find or what the extended warranty company will say but I'm not sure if they decide to only replace some parts what I should do.

Anyone been though this before?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Reusing some of the old parts is fine if they are within spec. Only certain parts of the tranny, such as Synchros and bearings, wear significantly. A lot of the hard parts should be fine to reuse.

Remanufactured generally means that the tranny was already rebuilt and the worn parts replaced. It essentially is a rebuilt tranny.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:34 AM
RonP
4th Gear
Thanks PenelopeG3. They told me that when they drained the tranny to change the oil that metal shavings came out so I'm guessing there's also some gear damage as well. Where else would metal shavings come from?

Hopefully they open it up taody and I find out what will be done.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:36 AM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Metal shavings could come from bearings or it could come from grinding gears or something else.

I just read your other thread. The tranny was probably abused at some point in its life and you are paying the price for that abuse.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 PM
goin440
6th Gear
Here's another thread for reference: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=89583

Note the last couple pages... it may be worth while.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:43 AM
RonP
4th Gear
I spoke with them last night, the trans has bad synchros and gears that are damaged. They've been trying to find parts but with no luck. Another day or so and if nothing is found then a new trans will be ordered. No matter though, I will make sure I get all the paper work on either the parts or new trans, I want to know where it's all coming from and what exactly is being replace.

The tranny was probably abused at some point in its life and you are paying the price for that abuse.
I'm guessing the same.

Thanks for the link goin440.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:34 PM
JAGFIXER
2nd Gear
I don't know the miles on your car, but if enough change clutch while they are in there. Clutch change at dealer can be $1500 by itself. Parts aftermarket are $300.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:43 PM
C2W
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PenelopeG3
Reusing some of the old parts is fine if they are within spec. Only certain parts of the tranny, such as Synchros and bearings, wear significantly. A lot of the hard parts should be fine to reuse.

Remanufactured generally means that the tranny was already rebuilt and the worn parts replaced. It essentially is a rebuilt tranny.
Having spent 15 years building a Remanufactured Electrical business I can tell you that the words rebuilt and remanufactured have different meanings to different companies.

In many "rebuilding" business' rebuilt means "we only fixed what was broken".

If the tranny is really Remanufactured, it should have been rebuilt to a set of standard specifications. . . that is, certain parts are ALWAYS replaced, certain parts are checked and if deemed within acceptable service limits re-used.

Two important points: Find out what components are ALWAYS replaced and find out what the Guarantee/warantee is in writing.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:46 PM
RonP
4th Gear
I don't know the miles on your car, but if enough change clutch while they are in there. Clutch change at dealer can be $1500 by itself. Parts aftermarket are $300.
I have 60,000 on her. They will be doing a clutch job while it's all apart. I had 50% left on the original clutch but now that all the labor is covered under the warranty it will cost me about $200 for OEM clutch parts. I would not want to put the old clutch parts back in, that's just asking for problems later.

A clutch job by itself from Irvine MINI was $2,200 and CarMax was $1,300.

As of today it's now waiting for a warranty inspector to come out (hopefully Monday) to inspect the damaged tranny and authorize repair or replacement. Also, no parts for the tranny were found today so I'm guessing I'll be getting a completely new tranny from MINI of Irvine.

Last edited by RonP; 12-15-2007 at 12:25 AM.