Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cabrio: Windows staying up when top put down

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
CupOJoe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabrio: Windows staying up when top put down

Help! Am I confused here?
When I put the top down using the button in the car, the front windows only go down enough so as not to interfere and stay there.
I swear that the first few times I put the top down, after the cycle completed the front windows were fully down. The manual states that the windows will close again if you keep holding the button for more than 2 seconds, but I am not doing that - they just stay partially down.
Am I remembering things wrong, or is there a glitch in the system?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:48 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
On mine, after the top is down, it seems like if I tap the overhead windows down button (not the top down button) a time or 2 the front 2 windows will roll all the way down automatically. Frankly though mine is so glitchy that I normally use my window toggle switches

Last edited by bamatt; 12-12-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:49 AM
goaljnky
Banned
You are remembering wrong. The rear windows will go all the way down and the fronts will go down partially. If you continue holding the button all windows will go back up.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:33 PM
CupOJoe
1st Gear
Thanks goaljnky. Seemed strange, although for those who like to keep the windows up to keep the wind down it can make sense to stop what seems like half way to me

Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Ye. Took a little while to get used to. I normally drive with the windows down if the top is down. My routine goes something like this"

1. Hit the one touch windows down button
2. Press and hold the top button to open the sunroof.
3. Press and hold the top button second time to put the top down.

By the time the sunroof portion is open the windows are down enough to open the rest of the roof.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I swear though after you open the top if you go tap tap on the overhead windows down button the front 2 windows will lower all the way down together. Someone told me that in a tips & tricks thread. Although it worked at first then 2 taps turned to 3, sometimes it worked/sometimes it didn't so I just started using my toggles

Old 12-12-2007, 04:39 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by bamatt
I swear though after you open the top if you go tap tap on the overhead windows down button the front 2 windows will lower all the way down together. Someone told me that in a tips & tricks thread. Although it worked at first then 2 taps turned to 3, sometimes it worked/sometimes it didn't so I just started using my toggles
Whether the roof is up or down, a SINGLE tap on the windows down button lowers all four windows. If you double tap, the second tap may interrupt the process (depending on how quickly you are tapping), and a third tap may stop or restart it depending on the status after the second tap. Do single taps only.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:46 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Method I always use which seems to be fastest and reliable.

1) Tap the "windows down" button - this starts the lowering off all 4 windows
2) While that's working, press and hold the "top down" button to open the sunroof. By the time the sunroof is open, the windows will be done.
3) Release "top down" button and press and hold again to retract the top.

Hint - you can do steps one and two while in motion - so you're ready for a quick top-down at a stoplight or stop sign.

Pressing and holding the "top up" button will put up the top, close the sunroof and close all 4 windows in a single step.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:11 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like using the key fob to do all of the above. My only beef is that it takes so long for the process.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, what he ^ said.
I do it almost daily while walking across the parking lot at the office.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
I think if I hit the window down button twice, the all of windows go down automatically.. then I drop the top. But.. if I don't do anything to the windows beforehand, then the front windows go down half-way when I drop the top. It's been awhile since I put the top down since the snow started to fall up here

I only use the keyfob to open the roof when it's really hot so the car will cool a bit by the time I cross the parking lot

Old 12-15-2007, 07:40 AM
CupOJoe
1st Gear
Thanks

Blimey - thanks for that optimization - should make it better to put the top down at lights.
I now realize my confusion - when I use the key to put the top down, the "venting" of the car opens the sunroof and completely puts the windows down. I was confusing the two approaches.
It's been so cold and rainy up here, but the day I posted this, it got up near 60 in the evening (for a few hours) - made for a wonderful commute home