Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Water leaking into interior of a R56 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 AM
rexracerx9
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leaking into interior of a R56 MCS

Anyone have water leak into their interior? I noticed it twice. It does not happen all the time because I check after each car wash and it seems dry? It seems to only happen the day after a rain but not all the time? Like I said, I only noticed twice?

Once water was dripping from the rearview mirror. I noticed a few drops of water dripping from the **** of the rearview mirror the day after it rained? 5 or 6 drops of water appeared on the dash, just under the rearview mirror. Upon inspection I noticed a drop from the **** of the rearview mirror. The drops showed up after driving for 45 minutes on a sunny day? I do not have the auto-dimming mirror, I have the regular rearview mirror with the **** on the bottom. You turn the **** to dim the mirror.

The second time I noticed several drops of water on the driver-side floor-mat. I have the rubber floor mats. I lifted the mat and noticed the carpet was wet? This time there was no water comming from the rearview mirror? There are no noticable water stains on the dash or anywhere?

I suspect the water is entering the interior from the sunroof because of the water drops in the rearview mirror? The felt /rubber seal around the sunroof is not really a waterproof seal, I think water is supposed to drain under the sunroof?

A friend has a 2004 Cooper S and he had water in the driverside also? Is this a common issue?

Any ideas? I am trying to get as much information as possible before going to the dealer.

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
I don't know about the R56 but on the R53 sunroof there are drain tubes front and rear. Sometimes these get plugged or worse get disconnected (from what I've read on NAM) and water will get inside the car. It's worth checking your car for these drains - a trip to the dealer might be in store for you. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:29 PM
bdn
Neutral
I have a 07 cooper S, and noticed that after everytime I washed my car the carpet on the passenger side is wet! I have yet to investigate into this...
my car also has a sunroof.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:38 AM
rexracerx9
1st Gear
Check your interior for water after rain

Everyone should check their carpets on both sides after a carwash or rain. Lift the floor mats up and feel for dampness on the carpeting. I would also check the rear-view mirror area and the top of the center speedometer. The water dripped from the dimming **** on the bottom of the rear-view mirror to the top of the dash right over the speedometer on my car. It was only a few small drops of water but it was there. The water drops showed up the day after a rain? I would double check after every carwash or rain.

I bet many cars have leaks and owners have not noticed and checked yet? On my car it was not a lot of water so it can go un-noticed. I only noticed and checked after seeing a few drops of water on the dash over the speedometer. Like I said,the water did not drip until the day after the rain and it was only a few drops?

Hopefully the dealer can locate the source of the water and repair it?

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 AM
mrweasel
3rd Gear
Saw this about the 4th day I had the car. Hasn't been back ever since.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove my car through about 10 inches of water and she has been rained on more than any car should be. Not a drop of water inside.

And when it is not raining, I wash her. Still no water inside.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:20 PM
2007cooper
Neutral
i have noticed the same problem in my 07 cooper...after a heavy rainfall water leaks around the plastic bezel around my sunroof into the interior of my car...the headliner is saturated with water around the corners and sometimes drips from the headliner as well...the dealer has tried replacing seals, checking the drains and readjusting my sunroof glass and it still leaks..anyone have any ideas/solution?

Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM
mrweasel
3rd Gear
If after repeated trips the problem isn't resolved, you may have to look into your state's Lemon Laws

Old 08-02-2007, 05:47 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrweasel
If after repeated trips the problem isn't resolved, you may have to look into your state's Lemon Laws
I agree with this comment, and suggest that folks having such issues be sure to keep all records of service appointments, as well as communications via email, for that all-important paper trail.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:47 PM
tanman823
Neutral
I have the 05' mini s without a sun roof and usually after rain and even car washes I get water coming out of the rearview mirror. Its irritating because it drips down to radio and puddles in the cubby under the radio. I have not been able to figure out the source of the problem

Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 PM
pattrick1
1st Gear
The water dripping from the rearview may be an issue with the front windshield.

I had mine replaced and it was not fully sealed at the top. Water got under the roof where the black weather stripping is (experior) and built up under the roof. Could sit there for a day or two and as soon as the car moves, it all flows through the rearview.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:33 AM
ruabadfish2
1st Gear
I had this same issue not long after receiving my 07. Nothing after car washes, only after sitting out in the rain. Water is getting behind the door jamb and the door, pooling at the bottom, then coming over the weatherproofing strip on the bottom. Took my car to the dealer three times over this, until they figured it out. I took pictures of where I traced the water coming in and over and gave that to the Service Manager. They installed a weatherproof strip with that was raised a little higher than stock.

Next rain you get and it's damp either behind the front seats, or at the front part of the foot well, look at your weatherstrips and the plastic edge on the bottom for water stains.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Nitrogen
1st Gear
I had a drain tube get disconnected recently, and the dealer fixed it. It caused water to leak out of the passenger A-pillar where the airbag indentation is, down between the dash and door, onto the speaker grill, and onto the floor.

I'm not sure how those tubes are routed/connected, but yours could be disconnected in another spot. I only noticed mine once, after a heavy rain, before getting it fixed. But I've had the car for over a year.

The dealer will water test it if you take it in and (hopefully) fix the problem within a few hours.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:12 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
I definitely have this problem with water leaking on to the floor on the passenger side. In fact one day I drove it to work there was pretty much a pool of water down there, not just dampness I just checked on the car today after a bit of rain here and yep, its a little damp near the passenger side door seal and plastic trim. It did not even occur to me that the sunroof could be the culprit. I had the dealership replace my entire sunroof track last summer, so maybe that's whats going on? it's odd. I tried hosing down the passenger door side and could not get it to leak. I was also wondering if maybe the window was not going up all the way when the door is opened and closed.

So I opened up the sun roor and lo and behold the drain hole is COMPLETELY submerged. This is the passenger side of the car. Look closely and you will see the drain hole and on the right hand side of the picture you can get a good idea of what the water level is here.

Name:  002-1.jpg
Views: 6057
Size:  117.4 KB

Last edited by amazingrando; 06-04-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM
jaridp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by amazingrando
I definitely have this problem with water leaking on to the floor on the passenger side. In fact one day I drove it to work there was pretty much a pool of water down there, not just dampness I just checked on the car today after a bit of rain here and yep, its a little damp near the passenger side door seal and plastic trim. It did not even occur to me that the sunroof could be the culprit. I had the dealership replace my entire sunroof track last summer, so maybe that's whats going on? it's odd. I tried hosing down the passenger door side and could not get it to leak. I was also wondering if maybe the window was not going up all the way when the door is opened and closed.

So I opened up the sun roor and lo and behold the drain hole is COMPLETELY submerged. This is the passenger side of the car. Look closely and you will see the drain hole and on the right hand side of the picture you can get a good idea of what the water level is here.

Ouch. Looks like you got something down in the drain tube. pine needles or something getting into the hole will stuff it up...

Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Actually Jarid, this is just a classic case of me not paying close enough attention to what I'm doing.

So I installed some Dynamat a couple of months ago in the front wheel well area to try and tame down some of the road noise (you see where I'm going with this now) While I had the entire black well wheel liner out, I reached into that cavity behind the side repeater and added some dynamat in there. I did not notice the sunroof drain at the time and completely plugged it up!

I just finished fixing it.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:50 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by amazingrando
Actually Jarid, this is just a classic case of me not paying close enough attention to what I'm doing.

So I installed some Dynamat a couple of months ago in the front wheel well area to try and tame down some of the road noise (you see where I'm going with this now) While I had the entire black well wheel liner out, I reached into that cavity behind the side repeater and added some dynamat in there. I did not notice the sunroof drain at the time and completely plugged it up!

I just finished fixing it.
oooooooooops!! Well glad to know its fixed!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
My passenger side footwell has been getting wet after it rains. I just took a look to see if there was standing water near the moon roof drains and there wasn't, but I'll have to do some more investigating. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet... I've already got one MINI out of commission, no time to give up a second.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:26 AM
pineypl
Neutral
Another possibility for roof leaks

First post, so be gentle. :-) Anyway, my wife and I just got a Mellow Yellow 2009 Clubman. Sweet ride, really loving it. So she wants the roof racks, which we get from our local dealer and yes they are part number 82-71-2-149-225. The 225 of the part number is important due to a redesign of the clamps.

Anyhow, on the Clubman, when you remove the tiny pieces of pre-stamped roof strip, it opens up the clamping area. Interestingly, this also lets water get behind that roof strip which in turn allows water to get into the weatherstripping above the door glass. I do not have pictures of this yet as the car is in the shop to fix the leaks!

My assumption here is that the water gets into a channel within the multi-folded weatherstripping, and if this weatherstripping is not in some perfect alignment of which only the BMW/MINI cadd technicians know, you will have water now on the WRONG side of the weatherstripping. Along with this, there is a possibility of the clamps not fully seating into the clamp area and thus pushing down on the weatherstripping and getting the club door glass out of alignment.

Fortunately for me, the loaner car is also a Clubman, so I can take this to the body shop for review to compare to my Clubman. I shall visit the body shop today. If anybody cares, I'll post my results later, along with some pictures.

Hopefully this is another option for anyone to review and perhaps stop any leaks.

Bob

Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No probs with my 2009, and it's endured some pretty ferocious monsoon rains (and my OCD-ish washing) this summer. Maybe its a design flaw with early models??

Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
No input for the poster with the roof rack, I ordered factory roof rails on my '09, but I'll be the OP had a sunroof drain problem - a very common issue and not just with MINIs.....but since the thread was started in '07 I expect he's got it fixed by now

Too bad he never posted back to this thread to let us know what fixed it......

Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
No probs with my 2009, and it's endured some pretty ferocious monsoon rains (and my OCD-ish washing) this summer. Maybe its a design flaw with early models??
I have an April 2008 build and it has no problems with water leaks. And the area that pineypl is talking about is completely enclosed on my car so that water runs down the outside of the car. Now there may have been a change to that on the later models but some how i doubt it.

Now i have had a BMW's that has had blocked sunroof drain tube and a neighbor of mine has had at least 4 BMW's with leaks due to blocked drain tubes. And sjust spraying water on the top does not seem to be enough to get them to leak even after 1/2 hour of running water on the roof from the hose.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 PM
pineypl
Neutral
Schatzy, you are quite right, that area is entirely enclosed, however the weatherstripping design can be a part of the problem. I did not take any pictures today after speaking with the technician working on the Clubman, now known as Pooh Bear (my 7 year old named the car due to color and the Pooh smile up front we are told) as he indicated he know fully understood what was happening. It appears the install of the roof rack can push the weatherstripping a bit (a couple of millimeters) and capillary action can pull water into the interior.

The weatherstripping is a design that incorporates the interior black strip that surrounds the edge of the headliner! So, what happens from observation is the water flows into the opening where the rack is mounted and then flows into the car *IF* the weatherstripping is out of proper placement.

The sad part is MINI says this is an easy 20 minute install and can be installed and removed often. This seems to not always be the case. I have read of many who install racks at a whim, and mine installed and were a problem from the get-go. Also, the technician told me the club door glass was way out of alignment; it barely pressed into the weatherstripping when the club door was closed. He is also correcting that! YAY. Can't wait to get Pooh Bear back.

On a side note, I had my headliner replaced in my 1995 BMW 318Ti a few years ago and the interior guys left all 4 drain tubes disconnected. Yes, it rained the first night I had it back and all the carpets were soaked. Fortunately I am in Florida, so I was able to pull off about 4 days of open windows in direct sunlight to dry it out. So indeed check those drain tubes.

And even more of an aside, I almost like driving the Clubman as much as my '01 325Ci. Dang that MINI go-kart!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:45 PM
pineypl
Neutral
The follow-up. 10 days for Pooh Bear to be in the shop. The technician realigned the club door again and also made the glass fit better into the weatherstripping. The roof racks are on and no leaks so far.

As it is, we'll not ever take the racks off for fear of more leaks. Wish MINI NA, would do a better design with the mount points, perhaps something like BMW does on it's cars.

Anyway, there was no charge to us and we got a loaner clubman in pepper white for the time. All in all I am pleased even though a bit disappointed with this design install.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM
oldchicago
2nd Gear
2009 MCSa w/ Sunroof, A couple of times noticed water on top of rubber floor mat on passenger side, a couple of days ago once again after heavy rain, thought possible drain tube on sunroof called dealer to send info so I can maybe be able to fix myself, try to avoid 2hr drive to dealer. No Go. Checked the carpet again yesterday, still soaked and ice cold. Now I'm thinking evaporator drain tube, especially after driving 2.5 hrs in rain and high humidity (Florida). I used shop vac to remove as much water as possible from the carpet, now all I need to do is find the drain tube. hopefully that will resolve the issue. Other wise off to dealer again.

Quick Reply: Water leaking into interior of a R56 MCS