Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Water leaking into interior of a R56 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:07 AM
oldchicago
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow up, I verified the evaporator drain tube is functioning properly, and also checked the door seal which is fine. I located the problem with the passenger side sunroof drain. It's connected but not letting water drain, like the left side. I used air nozzle on my compressor to help clear any obstruction, it drains now but the flow rate is minimal compared to the left side. Does anyone know where the drain tube outlet is located. I'm thinking behind the fender liner but want to verify before I disassemble.
Thanks, Mark

Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 PM
nysmo240
1st Gear
After heavy rains today, the driverside headliner corner was wet and some water spilled onto me. I had to soak up the excess water with paper towels. Can anyone help me locate the drain tubes openings on an 07 MCS with the panorama sunroof? Can anyone also let me know where the the tubes run through and where they let out at?

Old 10-14-2009, 03:29 AM
oldchicago
2nd Gear
Open your sunroof and while standing on a milk crate or something look inside the roof opening there is a 1/4 hole on the left and right in the curve of the corner. DO NOT stick or force anything into the opening as a soft rubber hose is attached and you will damage it. Try a little compressed air followed by a cup of water to check drainage. Both the tubes let out under the car behind the wheel opening splash shields, you can see them if you remove the wheels. On my 09' the tubes are a blue color. Try using compressed air to push the obstruction upward to clear. (Place a towel or something in front of the upper hole to catch debris so it doesn't go all over your interior. This worked for me and I found a bit of cosmoline wax that was clogging the tube.
Best of Luck - Mark

Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 PM
nysmo240
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldchicago
Open your sunroof and while standing on a milk crate or something look inside the roof opening there is a 1/4 hole on the left and right in the curve of the corner. DO NOT stick or force anything into the opening as a soft rubber hose is attached and you will damage it. Try a little compressed air followed by a cup of water to check drainage. Both the tubes let out under the car behind the wheel opening splash shields, you can see them if you remove the wheels. On my 09' the tubes are a blue color. Try using compressed air to push the obstruction upward to clear. (Place a towel or something in front of the upper hole to catch debris so it doesn't go all over your interior. This worked for me and I found a bit of cosmoline wax that was clogging the tube.
Best of Luck - Mark
I found it, but it hasn't dripped any water today with the light shower we had so I'll be looking into it later to make sure it's not clogged. Thanks Mark.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:34 PM
celigrier
Neutral
Im taking my 2009 Clubman S back to dealer for second time. First it was the passenger floor that was soaked, now its the drivers. Of course the water doesnt soak through the mat, so its hard to notice there's a leak. Until your poor mini starts to smell. First time they said it was an a/c hose that came loose. They assured me it was fixed, evidently not. Now Im wondering how long this leak has been there and what damage its caused.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by celigrier
Im taking my 2009 Clubman S back to dealer for second time. First it was the passenger floor that was soaked, now its the drivers. Of course the water doesnt soak through the mat, so its hard to notice there's a leak. Until your poor mini starts to smell. First time they said it was an a/c hose that came loose. They assured me it was fixed, evidently not. Now Im wondering how long this leak has been there and what damage its caused.
Make sure you air out the car to prevent mildew.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM
louinsd
Neutral
I have an 07 and it is in the shop to replace the drains... It's been there for a week and a half. It seems like every time it needs parts, the parts take forever to come in. My partner wrecked it a week after I bought the car (7mph collision and $10k in repairs)... It took months to get parts and days to fix.

On this trip to the service dept they gave me a loaner, so the experience has not been too bad. I can't see keeping the car past the warantee runs out though. My experience is that Mini is terrible with their logistics.

This is sad as I love my car, but don't want to chance keeping it. I also don't want to chance getting another one for the same reasons. The VW golf TDI is looking very attractive right now. Not as cool looking, but more hp, much more torque, better mpg and cheeper.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Bob Pop
Neutral
heavy leakage

My Mini is a 2005. Since the recent snowstorms in the NE this winter, I noticed a lot of water in the passenger side as I was checking the glove box. Then realized the drivers side AND rear floor was also soaked with standing water. Dealership is 2 hour drive so I would like to get some possible reasons for the water intrusion and maybe a hint on how I might fix the problem. Will see the dealership next week, but more rain is on the way. I ran a hose over the sun roof and toward the windshield and it took about 15 minutes to see water inside finally come in. Have to sit in it to really see where it is coming in but after the fact, I notice water coming down the dashboard sides. After a rain last night, I also isolated concentrated water under the dash in the passenger side nearest to the forward foot area. Any advice is appreciated.
BobPop

Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Kelevra
1st Gear
2005 R52/Convertible S with Water in the Battery Compartment

We had a really bad thunderstorm in North Jersey last night and this morning when I was driving my son to school I heard slushing in the rear of the car. When I lifted up the rear cover and took a look in the battery compartment, I was shocked to see that there was about a half inch of water around the battery. Now this is the second time that this has happened and the last time the battery compartment was half full of water and I started having electrical problems with the car. After the first incident about a month ago, I bought a new battery, dried and cleaned out the battery compartment, and everything has been fine until this morning. Also, the "Check Engine" light came on, so is this somehow related?

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be since this is a covertible and also, does the mini have a water plug in the battery compartment? With my old 1988 BMW 735i there was a water plug in the battery compartment that when taken out allowed all the water to drain on to the ground.

Any and all advice is highly appreciated.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:37 AM
15sharpie
1st Gear
FOR everyone with a leaky roof if u have water leaking from your rear view mirror BE SURE to check your remote receiver which is inside your rear view mirror mine got fried out and the dealer wanted $350 for a new mirror b/c they don't sell the receiver by its self...but u can find a used mirror from a salvage yard easy =)

Old 05-07-2010, 12:37 PM
jujucooper
2nd Gear
So it seems all these water problems are only for convertibles or cars with sunroofs?

Old 05-07-2010, 01:12 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jujucooper
So it seems all these water problems are only for convertibles or cars with sunroofs?
i have a sunroof, but i had a passenger footwell leak caused by loose screws of the passenger inner panel. so that water inside the door made it into the car instead of out the normal bottom door drains.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:48 PM
jujucooper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
i have a sunroof, but i had a passenger footwell leak caused by loose screws of the passenger inner panel. so that water inside the door made it into the car instead of out the normal bottom door drains.
Guess I better pay close attention to water in my new MC! Thanks.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
15sharpie
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jujucooper
No Sharpie is a 2007 S Coupe with NO sunroof and he still leaked

so if all else fails then take your receiver out of your rear view mirror and put it up in your headliner

Old 05-23-2010, 12:15 AM
chris d
Neutral
I have a water problem too!!! passenger side floor,, its leaking when it rains or wash the car, coming from behind the glove box from where the onboard air intake filter is. the filter out it was soaked,, another post told me to look under the hood behind the master cylinder next to the firewall, large hole should have a plug,, mine is missing, problem is dont know what its called technically, to order the part any help will be appreciated

Old 08-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Bandit29
Neutral
Cleaning sunroof drains

Make it real simple, use a vacuum cleaner. I sucked the clog out of the two front ones using a powerful jet vac. Then open the rear hatch and using the blowing feature of the jet vac, I put it on top of the exit drain and it cleared out the two back drains.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It is a British car. Standard kit is a towel to drape across your left leg to catch the drips from the door.

Know the difference between a British car with the hood up vs hood down? With it down, the carpet dries out quicker.

Know who invented intermittent wipers? Lucas.

Why do the British drink warm beer? They have Lucas refrigerators.

The go on and on if you have ever owned classic British cars.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:19 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandit29
Make it real simple, use a vacuum cleaner. I sucked the clog out of the two front ones using a powerful jet vac. Then open the rear hatch and using the blowing feature of the jet vac, I put it on top of the exit drain and it cleared out the two back drains.
Where are the sunroof drains on the Clubman? Pictures/illustrations are worth a thousand words, but good descriptions work too if you just like typing...

Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 PM
MINIsma
Neutral
If unclogging does nothing

Hello,
New to the site, but I may have a solution to a few of you out there. I was tooling around on the internet trying to find a solution for my car, which was leaking copious amounts of water (>2 inches!!) after heavy rains. The headliner was also wet leading me to believe it wasn't clogged but rather disconnected. A quick google search yielded this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9HgL0RfpNA

This guy rocks! Hope this helps some of you! Happy mini-motoring!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 PM
art2111
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIsma
Hello,
New to the site, but I may have a solution to a few of you out there. I was tooling around on the internet trying to find a solution for my car, which was leaking copious amounts of water (>2 inches!!) after heavy rains. The headliner was also wet leading me to believe it wasn't clogged but rather disconnected. A quick google search yielded this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9HgL0RfpNA

This guy rocks! Hope this helps some of you! Happy mini-motoring!
Thanks, very interesting. I believe it's what I need to do for the rear roof drain.
Anyone could guess how much a dealer or a body shop would charge for that?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:40 AM
cvittas
2nd Gear
Hello, I have a Cooper '07, without sunroof, and yesterday after a heavy rainfall I found moisture in the passenger's side footwell. The carpet was wet.

Does anyone had a similar problem? What could it be?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:14 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cvittas
Hello, I have a Cooper '07, without sunroof, and yesterday after a heavy rainfall I found moisture in the passenger's side footwell. The carpet was wet.

Does anyone had a similar problem? What could it be?
Haven't had a similar problem myself, but a few guesses:
  • Passenger door vapor barrier (BMW is notorious for these coming loose and allowing water intrusion)
  • Windshield or passenger door window seals/weather stripping
If the moisture occurred after driving the vehicle, you could additionally look at:
  • Possibility of a plugged-up A/C drain tube; this is on the passenger's side, as I recall
  • Splash guard on the bottom of the passenger's door may have come loose or is damaged (I think it's part no. 04 on this diagram).
Good luck!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
cvittas
2nd Gear
Can you tell any details about the passenger door vapor barrier?
Could I tighten if it is loose? Where it is located?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cvittas
Can you tell any details about the passenger door vapor barrier?
Could I tighten if it is loose? Where it is located?
Well, perhaps it would have been more descriptive if I had said that it peels off rather than it becomes loose. The vapor (or moisture) barrier is basically a glorified sheet of wax paper or other flexible, water-tight material (see this link, that shows some photos of the vapor barrier on an M5; I imagine those on the MINI are similar); it's going to be between the interior panel and the door itself. Never actually laid eyes on the MINI/BMW versions myself, but from what I understand, theirs are particularly fragile (i.e., easily damage when working on the door, e.g., paintless dent removal) and have a tendency to peel away from the door structure, essentially breaking the water-tight seal that it's supposed to maintain.

If you or someone else hasn't had the interior door panel off, or done some kind of repairs on that door, I'd look more closely at other potential leak-prone areas before checking the vapor barrier.

Before tearing anything apart, it might be best if you get someone to douse the passenger side of the car in water (i.e., from a garden hose) while you're sitting inside; the source of the leak might become apparent simply by doing that.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM
cvittas
2nd Gear
Thanks.

I will look around the windshield first, because I had it replaced about 2 months ago.
Then I will check the door vapor barrier..
When I have results I will post them..

Quick Reply: Water leaking into interior of a R56 MCS