Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Sunday's NAMCCRS results from Gateway

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:53 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerry -- Are the class rules frozen for at least 5 years? Because if they are not it makes building a car difficult at best and expensive at worst. Right now the way all the classes are configured it's like GP bikes – practically anything goes. Just ask Phil and his experience with the AMA -- what a debacle!
I applaud the effort to build a new race series. However, I am skeptical because of the lack of support from Mini. Mazda’s approach is the polar opposite with their Spec Miata series. All the best…

Old 06-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
Jerry -- Are the class rules frozen for at least 5 years?
I just don't know. That's a question for Phil. You can call him at the number listed on his website.

Originally Posted by dmh
I applaud the effort to build a new race series. However, I am skeptical because of the lack of support from Mini. Mazda’s approach is the polar opposite with their Spec Miata series. All the best…
Yeah, that's a pain, isn't it? But look at it this way: let's say the NAMCCRS takes off (with your help, of course :-), pulls in a big cable TV audience, picks up some big sponsors, has shops all over the country churning out affordable FIA approved spec MINIs for owner/drivers, fields grids of 20 and has scores of MINI fans in the stands waving their club flags on TV. What do you think MINI USA would do then? Ever heard the story about the little red hen? Bottom line is that MINI USA's decision is not cast in stone forevermore. They just want to know the pool is deep enough before jumping in.

When Tim Suddard started Grassroots Motorsports magazine in Ormand Beach, FL, in the mid 80's it was a folio sized newsprint rag with a few articles and a few smudgy black and white ads passed out for free at local Florida autocross meets. I know because I was there. Look at it now: big, glossy, national circulation and the bible of grassroots racing. These things take time and a lot of effort. If anybody could do it, we wouldn't need YOU. There are lots of things to do and lots of tubs to thump to make this thing happen. It seems to me the choice is clear: you can help make it happen or stand on the sidelines and jeer while somebody else makes it happen. Phil and the racers deserve cheers, not jeers. It'll make you feel better too!

Old 06-20-2006, 08:00 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
I'm not actually a true jeerer -- I'd like to see it work. Maybe I should call Phil to discuss the pitfalls of the current concept. What I am trying to note is that without a consistent rules package covering more than just the engine, building a competitive car is like trying to be Roberts going up against Honda. Whatever you can spend they can spend more.
Check me if I’m wrong; what you are saying is that you want volunteers to make the series work, i.e., get Mini financially involved, and then you’ll profit by selling the product to a sanctioning body. If that’s so, how does that help me?

Old 06-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by Siddhartha
Despite the criticism and finger pointing, I think everyone here would be thrilled to see a safe, well organized spec MINI race series take off in this country. So instead of fixing the blame, let's fix the problem. Volunteers are needed at every venue. Instead of taking potshots from the safety of your keyboard, how about lending a hand to help make those changes you think are so important?
Well said.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
Check me if I’m wrong; what you are saying is that you want volunteers to make the series work, i.e., get Mini financially involved, and then you’ll profit by selling the product to a sanctioning body. If that’s so, how does that help me?
Man, I wish I was as confident as you! You've got the series wildly successful and for sale already!

I'm just a vol helping Jobs and Wozniak in their garage in my spare time. If this lemon they're working on turns into an Apple and they get mega rich, I can say I was there back when.

If you're more interested in what's in it for you than what's in it for the fans and the MINI community at large, then maybe grassroots racing isn't for you. This is a dangerous sport. It's not for everyone. Only you can make that call.

Cheers,
Jerry

Old 06-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
What I am trying to note is that without a consistent rules package covering more than just the engine, building a competitive car is like trying to be Roberts going up against Honda. Whatever you can spend they can spend more.
Spec means prepared according to strict rules and sealed everything, tech inspections and a claiming option/fine system. The emphasis then is on driver skill and not who's got the latest go-fast goodie bolted on. That's the basis of the wildly successful Spec Miata series here and the wildly successful MINI Challenge UK series there.

"Ever since I was born
I been tootin' my horn
And passin' ever'thing in sight."
-Ramsey Midwood

That's enough horn blowing for now . . . I gotta go. Check you later.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:31 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
I don't think I'm coming off...

Man, I wish I was as confident as you! You've got the series wildly successful and for sale already!

I'm just a vol helping Jobs and Wozniak in their garage in my spare time. If this lemon they're working on turns into an Apple and they get mega rich, I can say I was there back when.

If you're more interested in what's in it for you than what's in it for the fans and the MINI community at large, then maybe grassroots racing isn't for you. This is a dangerous sport. It's not for everyone. Only you can make that call.

Cheers,
Jerry
in the way I must sound and for that I am sorry. I'd like to see it work but I also understand the obstacles -- mainly Mini USA. But I do understand grassroots racing. Our shop has produced the BMWCR JP and JS champion every year we have contested it. We are 4 for 4 with John Paton at the wheel. Before that he/we dominated our class in PCA Club Racing. Yet, it’s hard for me to pay to race at the grassroots level when I used to get paid to race. So I mainly just do setup work on customers cars and some DE for kicks.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:33 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
This is my point!

Spec means prepared according to strict rules and sealed everything, tech inspections and a claiming option/fine system. The emphasis then is on driver skill and not who's got the latest go-fast goodie bolted on. That's the basis of the wildly successful Spec Miata series here and the wildly successful MINI Challenge UK series there.
The series, as now configured, is open class not spec class. But aren't you trying to run a spec class?

Old 06-20-2006, 09:00 AM
blalor
6th Gear
The series is not open, but there are two classes (for MC and MCS) that are. The other groups (classes) are very restricted in what you can do, not unlike SCCA's Solo2 classes (where, for example, just a pulley puts you in STX).

Old 06-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
But aren't you trying to run a spec class?
Can't do it yet, the first spec car is just coming online now. Your experience and knowledge is just what we need. May I PM you with questions?

Thanks,
Jerry

Old 06-20-2006, 09:27 AM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
REDACTED - see below

Old 06-20-2006, 09:33 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BigBrownDog
I would be interested in volunteer opportunities at Gateway, it's about 15 minutes from my house. Can someone put me in touch with the right person?
BBD, this thread's about a particular organization's race weekend at Gateway, not about Gateway in general. I'd recommend going over there on a weekend that something's going on and find someone to talk to, especially since it's so close to you.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:57 AM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
Sorry for raising my hand here, I'm obviously not part of the "group" and am unable to determine the difference between thread topics.

Although I was at the track for the Sunday session that is being discussed, and witnessed all of the events IN PERSON that are being discussed herein. The group of folks that were there were all very busy and didn't appear to have a bunch of time to talk to an 'outsider'. Only one person came up to me and introduced herself -- she was the MA from the OKC MINI dealer.

I don't think it's a good use of my time to go down to the track and wander around looking for someone who I don't know to ask about volunteering. People are there at the event for a reason, and they're all busy doing their thing.

This attitude is why volunteer based organizations have a hard time getting people to participate.

Originally Posted by blalor
BBD, this thread's about a particular organization's race weekend at Gateway, not about Gateway in general. I'd recommend going over there on a weekend that something's going on and find someone to talk to, especially since it's so close to you.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
BBD, I'm pretty sure there will be another NAMCCRS event at Gateway in 2007 and we'd love to have your help. You can hook up with these folks as the day draws closer; they were a big help this year. Just check the Phil Wicks website now and then. We'll post the 2007 schedule there as soon as the tracks are confirmed.

We got confirmation today that we will have the OUTSIDE track at the Las Vegas Speedway for a two day PWDA/NAMCCRS season opener event March 24 and 25 coinciding with AMVIV 2007.

Thanks for your interest,
Jerry

Old 06-20-2006, 10:19 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Yes, it is.

Originally Posted by blalor
The series is not open, but there are two classes (for MC and MCS) that are. The other groups (classes) are very restricted in what you can do, not unlike SCCA's Solo2 classes (where, for example, just a pulley puts you in STX).
And because it is open and not spec has been identified as a problem that the organizers hope to correct. For instance, it is not spec to tires, brakes, suspension, aero, etc.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
And because it is open and not spec has been identified as a problem that the organizers hope to correct. For instance, it is not spec to tires, brakes, suspension, aero, etc.
Tru dat. We're ramping up and God bless the tuners who have put so much time and energy into this year's program.

Summit Point's grid entries look good from here and hopefully we'll see a couple of the heavy hitters from MINI USA in the paddock as well. :fingers crossed:

Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
rpterson
4th Gear
I raced in Las Vegas, just for the fun of it, being with other MINI's. Most of the racing I do is with NASA USTCC and we have very strict rules to follow. I was disappointed at Las Vegas with the lack of safety equipment (nowhere in sight) and a slight bent on the somewhat open rules and lack of timing. Drivers with no prior W2W racing, have a prepped car (somewhat) and look good in the group 3 DE, we'll give you a provisional license.

I understand the need to build a series and to get cars and drivers to participate. But at no time should safety be compromised. Our MINI's are good racers from the factory, but they do need the proper safety equipment installed. This includes a full roll cage, 5/6 point harness, fire bottle, electrical disconnect and driver personal safety equipment minimum. Future teams need to be willing to install this minimum equipment first then add what ever speed equipment later. How many pictures in the MINI Challenge in England do you see with cars on two wheels or spinning through the infield after being involved in an incident. I've been in races where very good drivers have been t-boned, the only thing stopping the other car was the door bars in the cage.

I'm hoping that this series will take off with 20/30 car fields. But it won't until the 2007 rules come out stating what the spec's are. When will this be? As it stands right now, race what you bring and we'll put you in somewhere, ala open class.

I intend on racing at Buttonwillow on October 30th. My only hitch is USTCC is racing in Las Vegas on October 28/29. If all goes well there we'll tow to Buttonwillow for Monday the 30th.

Phil, we're wishing the series well, Please do not compromise safety for ratings.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:21 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI-Madness
From Randy's post earlier

That's right the Mad Dog Turbo car will be there but where you got the idea that it's made from Helix parts is beyond us
You may just not know, so I'll give you where I got that idea. One of my customers had the TurboKompressor kit done in Philly who lives in the Maryland area, and has used Lucky Dog (before it was LDG) as well. He had an issue with bolts on the turbo, and LDG removed the entire kit. Some of the very trick secrets obviously would have been discovered in that process, as well as some of the key components.

That's where I got the idea - from a customer of mine who had the kit. Hope that clears things up on where my perspective came from .

Randy

Old 06-20-2006, 11:25 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
How many cars will be "racing" ?

Old 06-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Hotelcalif
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
Well said.
AMEN!!!!!

Old 06-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rpterson
I raced in Las Vegas
And it was great to see you and Skatemom there! Thanks for your comments. The new FIA compliant spec MINI will address your concerns. It will be at Summit Point and also at Buttonwillow. We are also working on getting the proper equipment for timing and scoring and radio contact. Obviously that costs money and sponsorship money would help. Stay tuned.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:31 PM
MINI-Madness
Former Vendor
Mad Dog Turbo

He had an issue with bolts on the turbo, and LDG removed the entire kit.
Is this why your not running the Helix kit? Just curious

Old 06-20-2006, 03:16 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To;
Jerry Bradbury
Director Western Region
Phil Wicks Racing

What will the protocol be at this point with the safety issue? Will wavers continue to be issued to those that do not have the proper safety equipment that every other race club firmly enforces?

Old 06-20-2006, 03:27 PM
MINI-Madness
Former Vendor
Race attendance

WOW I just heard that Nuzzo is coming to the race because he wants to race Steve! I also heard that there will be another unlimited car coming in from PA.

So we have Steve, Mad Dog Turbo car, Randy, Nuzzo, a PA. car and Steve is working hard to bring someone else to the race. That could be 6!

Looking better by the minute!

Old 06-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
To;
Jerry Bradbury
Director Western Region
Phil Wicks Racing

What will the protocol be at this point with the safety issue? Will wavers continue to be issued to those that do not have the proper safety equipment that every other race club firmly enforces?
That's a question for Phil. Please call him to discuss it.

Thanks,
Jerry

Quick Reply: Sunday's NAMCCRS results from Gateway