Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Sunday's NAMCCRS results from Gateway

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:31 PM
micahbones
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that there have been some misinformation/misperceptions in regards to Randy's accident, and the racing iself. Brian and Randy are driving back across the plains to Denver as I write this (after spending a family day in the St. Loius area on Monday since the whole Webb fam was in attendance at St. Louis), so hopefully some things will soon get cleared up in regards to what happened out on the race track...

Old 06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Paulo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by micahbones
I believe that there have been some misinformation/misperceptions in regards to Randy's accident, and the racing iself. Brian and Randy are driving back across the plains to Denver as I write this (after spending a family day in the St. Loius area on Monday since the whole Webb fam was in attendance at St. Louis), so hopefully some things will soon get cleared up in regards to what happened out on the race track...
To all wondering what happened to Randy on the first practice, only I who was behind him and the corner worker at turn one whitnessed the accident.
The racers all got out on the track before I did therefore I was out of phase with the group. I proceeded to make a few laps getting to know the track as I always do at a new track.
After a while I slowed down to let Randy catch up with me and once he did, I waived him on by as we enterd the banked section. Following his pass, I got on the gas and chased randy through the banking and down the straight.
As we aproached turn one at approx. 120 mph I noticed he never tapped the brakes which I thought was pretty bold since I still felt I had not masterd turn one. At that point it seem to me that he had enterd a bit wide and just could not make the turn...I watched him go off straight for the tire wall wich he hit and bounce off of pretty hard. I even got a little squirly contolling my car while watching Randy.
It's most unfortunate that we once again did not get to compete through out an entire race. Hope Summit point will be better. Glad he was ok, cars can always fixed.
Sincerely,
Steve Diniz

Old 06-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Thanks for clearing that up, Steve, and congratulations on a great double win.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:09 PM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
What a weekend!

First off, I would like to thank all who donated to the Webb Fund as it made it possible to make the few modifications to the Mule, allow us to buy new tires for both cars(well, one toyo for me), pay for diesel at over $3 a gallon, and pay race entry for both days. While the fund was mainly directed at Randy himself, it also had a big effect on my eligibility and performance this past weekend. I assure you all, even though the mule was not raced, your money was not wasted!

Second, I would like to thank Todd. Your one hell of a guy to offer up your car to Randy. While his hopes of defeating Waylen in a street car did not come true (though very close on Saturday as I recall, quali times where 2 tenths off each other....with a stopwatch, and the race was very close), he was still able to pull out second place both days. The weekend would have been wasted for Mr. Webb if not for you!

Third, this should be a true testament of how easy it is to race in the series. From time of Randy's accident in practice, we had 3 hours to get Todd’s car ready to go qualify. It came in as a stock car (minus 3 go-fast parts), and left as a competitive racer with time to spare. The cage/cut-off/extinguisher was allowed to slide as a waiver was signed by both Randy and Phil (which is not specific to this event). So all of you guys and girls out there with excuses like "But I don’t want to strip my interior..." or "My suspension is stock", let this be a perfect example of how a street car can be raced competitively in this series.

Fourth, we just got home, so the damage to the Mule has not been totally assessed. If fixing the car is just a front sub frame replacement, and a few body panels, it is very likely we will try for Summit point. If the damage is more extensive, other options will be observed. I will of coarse be racing my #92 at this event with or without Randy.

You have our word, if it is at all financially possible to make the event, we will try. It hurts Randy more than any of you know to not be able to show what he and his car will do in actual competition.

Randy will of coarse be posting shortly to give his side of the story.

-Brian

Old 06-13-2006, 11:17 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Brian, good to hear from you. I'm glad you all made it back safely. We are still behind you both. Webb all the way.

Nightmare of a weekend for you guys, but thats ok. Things like this happen, and I know for a fact it won't keep you guys down.

Even though it is just a car, it is still "our" Mule, and hopefully it will be back one day to kick the **** it's supposed to.

Thanks for doing the vinyls, they looked great. Best of luck to you for the rest of the series.

Hopefully I will join you in it one day.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:21 AM
lou
2nd Gear
Please identify if further race events are to follow after "damage control" is completed on the Mule. We would be up for further contributions to the Webb Motorsports Adventure of 2006. Hope all are well...and racing will continue!! Good Luck Brian and Randy!!

Old 06-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Siddhartha
5th Gear
Insert shameless plug for Whiteroofradio.com show #69 here: db and Todd do STL race coverage, first hand coverage of the famous car swap and Webb Motorsports Race Fund details (with schwag!)

Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 AM
willum
5th Gear
Originally Posted by camelpilot
Brian, good to hear from you. I'm glad you all made it back safely. We are still behind you both. Webb all the way.

Nightmare of a weekend for you guys, but thats ok. Things like this happen, and I know for a fact it won't keep you guys down.

Even though it is just a car, it is still "our" Mule, and hopefully it will be back one day to kick the **** it's supposed to.

Thanks for doing the vinyls, they looked great. Best of luck to you for the rest of the series.

Hopefully I will join you in it one day.
Double Ditto camelpilot.....
Ouch......I thought it was a little odd that the photo's of the "sponsors" names wasn't on the "Mule"......now I know. They still looked great on both cars (even the want-a-be Mule) Gotta give Todd a BIG Ataboy for stepping up to the plate like he did. As well as the other competitors.
Best of all, Randy is OK.....
Too bad Randy didn't have his in-car camera set up.....that would have been something to watch
Keep us posted......"willum, Modesto, Ca."

Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 PM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lou
Please identify if further race events are to follow after "damage control" is completed on the Mule. We would be up for further contributions to the Webb Motorsports Adventure of 2006. Hope all are well...and racing will continue!! Good Luck Brian and Randy!!
We took a look at the car with a body shop guy today, and it is looking good. We have allready made arrangements for a new subframe and a few other bits and peices. Anyone know where to get a cheap CF or fiberglass hood? If we can get the money from a certain investor we have lined up, it will be a non-stop rebuild for the race in summit.

We also have a big suprise for all who will be running in class 4 with me! Stay tuned.

-Brian

Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Strom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Brian@WebbMotorsports
Anyone know where to get a cheap CF or fiberglass hood?
http://www.visracing.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=2862

They sell on eBay for about $575, but I'm not sure how much they cost direct from the source.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:32 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Strom
http://www.visracing.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=2862

They sell on eBay for about $575, but I'm not sure how much they cost direct from the source.
I have heard of fitment issues with these. I would check around before buying one. I had considered getting one myself back in the day, but I was advised against it for the above reasons. Good luck anyways!

Old 06-16-2006, 04:40 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A quote from MINI-Madness:

"A few laps into the practice session Webb obviously felt the need to push harder so Steve let's him by at the begining of the banking section. Webb accelerates with Steve following close behind down the long straight.

According to Steve upon entering turn 1 extremely hot, Steve see's no brake lights from Randy and he proceeds to slam the tire wall extremely hard and sends the back of the car into the air and finishs with a hard slam back to earth. Steve finish's practice and some time later Webb's car is towed back in shambles. Later that day we talked with the corner worker on turn 1 and he verified the above event. Afterwards Webb stated to us that there was something on the track that caused the problem, later that night he claimed brake failure so who really knows.

We were EXTREMELY disapointed that there was now no competition between us and we highly dought he will be at Summit Point. We can only imagine what the sponsors who put up their hard earned cash mush think. Regardless of all this were happy he was not seriously injured and that his family did not have to deal with anything tragic."

Not exactly. Steve had just gotten out to the track, so I was up to speed while he wasn't yet. I passed easily and had a gap by the end of the straight - I'm sure he let me by to continue figuring out his own line. I wasn't braking on the straight - I would lift then brake after the transition from the oval. I did - and there are skid marks right off the track to indicate that but my assumption would be that Steve was not in a position to see that, since he was still on the oval when I entered the transition.

I initially told the workers to check the track for fluid, as that's exactly what it felt like when the brakes locked, and I was concerned for the other drivers. That's where the fluid story came from. When we inspected the track and didn't find fluid, but did find skid marks, the problem became apparent. I have a failed ABS sensor - one that actually had shown up earlier, but rectified itself (these cars sometimes do that), so I hadn't thought about it since.

I have been racing since I was 13 in one form or another. This is one of two accidents I have had in my life on the street or on the track. The first was from a friendly tap at 150 in a Porsche from another Porsche in mid high speed turn which resulted in a flip 15 years ago. This was the second.

As for the folks who have been kind enough to sponsor us, I think a heroic effort was made by the community to give them a show and then some. This story will go down in history (a street car that finished second after being loaned!!!). THe community has once again shown their support with the help of the White Roof Radio Save the Mule sponsorship drive - in two days there has been over $2200 collected and a special edition badge made with my beloved Mule's #93. Thanks to all who support our efforts!

I plan to be at Summit Point - we have all the parts except for the bonnet enroute. I am still trying to secure the purchase of a bonnet. I understand there will be some highly modified turbos, including the LDG unit that Madness plans to run if I understand everything (which was actually built from some parts garnered from a Helix TurboKompressor car). I could be wrong on some of the details though - but I am excited to see the competition!

It is a bummer that the Mule was broken, because I know we could have given Steve a good run for the overall win.

Anyway, I hope that helps clear up what I know happened (I was the only one there afterall!).

Thanks,
Randy

Old 06-16-2006, 05:42 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Welcome back Randy. Glad that you are not only well, but fully intent on continuing!

I'm guessing that I'm one of the few who know the significance of "93". Be well.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:05 PM
rpterson
4th Gear
Having a failed ABS sensor can cause wheel lock up. Without going into the how or why of the mechanicals. This happened to Tony Nuzzo last year at Cal Speedway during Grand AM practice. It took us the better part of a day to find the problem. I had a similar problem happen at last years San Jose Grand Prix resulting in contact with a BMW. It feels like your braking on ice. Ours was a torn left front ABS sensor.

Randy glad to hear your alright.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:47 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
Randy-
I've been following some of the threads concerning you. I knew you were overly busy when I was trying to buy some wheels from your sight and you never called back. Don't worry; I understand.
[edit]
I'm glad to hear you're ok after your mishap but can't believe your going cross country to Summit Point. You've been there, right? I crashed my bike there numerous times trying to find the limit which I don’t think I ever did!
Regards,
Don

Last edited by dmh; 07-05-2006 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment I made & deleted myself
Old 06-17-2006, 07:25 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Don,

No, I was in Florida at the time, and the incident occured at Moroso. I can't really speak poorly of Peter, as he taught me quite a bit. I'm not familiar with his business practices though (I was very young when I worked for Promotion Motorsports).

As for us not returning calls - we are working diligently on that and email, and those of you who have called since we have returned from St. Louis know all about that. Our website will always take orders as well, even when we can't get to the phone. We are getting much better, but of course there is always more to be done!

I love challenging new tracks - Laguna Seca was new to me and didn't seem all that daunting. Pueblo was too at one time, and again, I enjoyed the challenge. I may not know the limits, but it'll be fun just to race - and I like to race to win. I look forward to Summit Point - anyone know any good in-car video?

I also still need a bonnet - what did you do with your old one Steve?

Randy

Old 06-17-2006, 07:48 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Peter taught me practically everything I know about cars and racing and to me those lessons were priceless. But his business practices are legendary. Balance the good with the not so good...
I'll ask around for SP video. Be prepared for the paddock heat and lack of grip, especially if it's raining.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:32 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
...I look forward to Summit Point - anyone know any good in-car video? Randy
Do you have broadband?

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...le+Video&hl=en

Take your pick! Hope these help...

Old 06-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian@WebbMotorsports
Third, this should be a true testament of how easy it is to race in the series. From time of Randy's accident in practice, we had 3 hours to get Todd’s car ready to go qualify. It came in as a stock car (minus 3 go-fast parts), and left as a competitive racer with time to spare. The cage/cut-off/extinguisher was allowed to slide as a waiver was signed by both Randy and Phil (which is not specific to this event). So all of you guys and girls out there with excuses like "But I don’t want to strip my interior..." or "My suspension is stock", let this be a perfect example of how a street car can be raced competitively in this series.
Had I known this was an option I'd have run already, I asked around and was told I needed the race seats/cage/fire supression system/cutoff- wavier for the series and I could have alreay been at two races. I've already got the extinguisher setup and done the research on which seats, and cage (money is the limiting factor on those now).

Old 06-17-2006, 10:38 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by motor on
Had I known this was an option I'd have run already, I asked around and was told I needed the race seats/cage/fire supression system/cutoff- wavier for the series and I could have alreay been at two races. I've already got the extinguisher setup and done the research on which seats, and cage (money is the limiting factor on those now).
I try and bite my tongue on most of this stuff, but I would have real issue with this if it was something that could be done.
I have NOTHING against Randy here and it was not my intension to put this on him when I originally asked the question. Unfortunately Wicks made a big mistake letting Randy do this. It could have, and I say "could" have ended the series forever if Randy had gotten into another accident and was seriously injured due to being thrown out the window, crushed, burned alive, among many other things. This was an irresponsible move by the Phil Wicks series.
Randy should have said a big "Thanks, but no thanks" to this situation. As Randy said, he has been racing for many years and he should have known better. . I'm not sure he made a well thought out decision here. Especially being that so many look up to him and whether he likes it or not, he is a 'role model' for many.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:58 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Randy wasn't the only exception to the safety rules last weekend, either. I've got the same concerns. I'm afraid that safety is being forsaken in the name of ratings in this series.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:11 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
The point of this race series is what?

I have not been following this series very closely but I do have a passing interest but not much information (I couldn’t find it all on Phil Wick’s site). Other than the opportunity to race in England is there prize and/or contingency money available? Something about being televised was mentioned but not time or station.
But if it is only a club level race what then is supposed to be the draw to the series, i.e., why not BMWCR or NASA? The series appears to me as an “unlimited” race series with very few entrants. How then do you measure yourself against other competitors; by height?
I was just curious to know because from what I can tell it is a club level event and thus it seems like a lot of work and money to be hustling all over the country for some track time.
It might be very telling as to why the safety violations could be allowed to slide with a waiver!

The next race is at the Summit Point Shenandoah Track – because…?

Old 06-17-2006, 11:20 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
These concerns re Phil Wicks were raised at Laguna Seca a few months back:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...laguna+carnage

And this was a driving school! It seems that a re-setting of priorities might be in order...

Old 06-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by onasled
I try and bite my tongue on most of this stuff, but I would have real issue with this if it was something that could be done.
I have NOTHING against Randy here and it was not my intension to put this on him when I originally asked the question. Unfortunately Wicks made a big mistake letting Randy do this. It could have, and I say "could" have ended the series forever if Randy had gotten into another accident and was seriously injured due to being thrown out the window, crushed, burned alive, among many other things. This was an irresponsible move by the Phil Wicks series.
Randy should have said a big "Thanks, but no thanks" to this situation. As Randy said, he has been racing for many years and he should have known better. . I'm not sure he made a well thought out decision here. Especially being that so many look up to him and whether he likes it or not, he is a 'role model' for many.
I think it would have been nice to know that it could have been done; and I have no issue sitting it out a while while I prep the car and make it to what AutoX and HPDE's I can, not that something can't happen there but it is far less likely. I think after all thats happened this year things will be different in the future, after all the series is new and growing. I'll probably end up just doing the local NASA circuit and spend half my time as the only MINI on the track; but if if/when the series passes through town I'd like to be able to give it a go and be on the track with other equally prepped MINIs, and I think that is the big appeal of the NAMCCRS.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:32 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
Equally prepped Minis?

Are you sure? Are we talking about the same series?
Not in the Phil Wicks series Group 1-6 anyway-- read the rules! Practically anything is unlimited: brakes, tires, suspension, aero, etc.
How many entrants are there on average?

Quick Reply: Sunday's NAMCCRS results from Gateway