Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

NASA 2006 Spec MINI -MINI Challenge Series

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 06:44 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASA 2006 Spec MINI -MINI Challenge Series

There is a new official series ... Mods allowed as stated in the rule book:

NASA North American MINI Challange. See NASA MINI Challange for the full and complete rules. This link is for 2006. This is a spec series. Items you must have are Bilstein PSS9, H-Sport front and rear sway bars, Wheels 7x17 with Toyo RA1's 205/40/17 tires.

Minimum weight 2528 w/o driver

Other than safety items, your free on a lot. Any 15% pully, race seat, brakes, LSD, CAI, exhaust.

Here is a recent e-mail and a great response

re: Registering for the events on NASA web pages:

To: Eric Meyer
NASA Midwest Marketing Director
www.nasamidwest.com
ericmeyer@nasamidwest.com

Video: www.symbolicmedialounge.com/flash/nasapromo.html
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=45

http://www.nasaproracing.com/resources.html

Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 10:50 AM
To: ericmeyer@nasamidwest.com
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Feb 19th Meeting in Columbus

I may become involved in a race series, thru NASA, but it is NOT listed as one of the OH/IN classes to sign up for at the registration page ...?

It is the new MINI Spec- MINI Challenge Series for the USA... I have the rules from NASA already

Can it be added to your list for OH/IN events?

I won't make the trip to "race" if it isn't a class at Mid-Ohio and Putnam

Thanks,

Phil Munschauer

Hey Phil,

That’s an admin oversight on the registration page. YOU ARE VERY WELCOME. In fact, I’m cc’ing Chris Orr (NASA MIDWEST GTS Race Director) because we were JUST talking about this series not but an hour ago. Small world.

Chris owns a BMW and Mini shop in Minnesota and is THE best Mini resource I know. A really great guy and an excellent racer AND communicator also.Even though he is Midwest, he can guide you through the wickets (great tuner also).

]Please let me know if I can help in any way. I plan to attract/promote Mini racing

Are you planning to attend the Feb 19th meeting by chance? We could meet then

Old 02-07-2006, 12:39 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RED FURY
...... Wheels 7x17 with Toyo RA1's 205/40/17 tires.
Now why would they make such a silly rule when in fact Toyo recommends a 7.5" wide rim for these tires?

Old 02-07-2006, 01:45 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
6 point roll cage, bolt in only ?

Old 02-07-2006, 10:06 PM
rpterson
4th Gear
I started to build our car to NABR MINI Challenge in "04" At the end of "04" start of "05" NABR merged with BMWCCA. They were going to post new rules. NASA took up the old rule book and modified it for 05 and again updated it for 06. Most of the MINI's for this series are in AZ. I believe Scottsdale MINI is who developed this series. This was designed as a drive your car to the track and race then drive home. This is the reason for the bolt in cage. Cost was also a big factor.

As for the 205/40/17 TOYO's on 7x17 rims they run great. TOYO spec's 7 to 8 inch for this tire. The 7.5 is the rim size for the spec's for this tire. 7 pinch the tire a bit and 8's stretch the sidewalls a bit.

I not saying all of the above is true but what I remember when I wanted to start racing again.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:06 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
There is NO mention of JCW upgrades ... Head ?

Headers ? No mention ?

It should be proposed as it is now a "factory" option. Not that it will do anything for HP ....

Old 02-23-2006, 02:45 PM
MarkC
3rd Gear
I race in the Spec MINI series here in Arizona. There are about 14 cars built over the past few years that run in the Arizona series. The rules are "overseen" by NASA with input from a MINI driver. Head work is not allowed but header and exhaust is. With all the modifiactions which are allowed, we are now finding the tires and grip is the weak link.

Four of the Arizona Spec MINI's attended the Phil Wicks race in December. I ran a 1:48 which was about .9 sec slower (or close to it) than Randy W who has considerable more mods and larger tires.

The racing in our series is very close with quite often (like every race) lap times within .01's of a second between each other. Great fun and very close racing.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:13 PM
SCORPIO
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MarkC
I race in the Spec MINI series here in Arizona. There are about 14 cars built over the past few years that run in the Arizona series. The rules are "overseen" by NASA with input from a MINI driver. Head work is not allowed but header and exhaust is. With all the modifiactions which are allowed, we are now finding the tires and grip is the weak link.

Four of the Arizona Spec MINI's attended the Phil Wicks race in December. I ran a 1:48 which was about .9 sec slower (or close to it) than Randy W who has considerable more mods and larger tires.

The racing in our series is very close with quite often (like every race) lap times within .01's of a second between each other. Great fun and very close racing.
Mark -

How are you? Will we see you out at Firebird this weekend? Hope all is well!

Rick "Torque" Johnson
#00 Cold Stone Creamery Mini Cooper S Spec Race Car!

Old 03-06-2006, 01:46 PM
MarkC
3rd Gear
Torque

It was great to see you last weekend. Congrats on your great finish, your lap times are becoming scary fast. I hope to be back at it soon!!

Old 03-06-2006, 03:20 PM
adis_daddy
2nd Gear
I to am in AZ and enjoy the heck out of watching these guys run. I'm a wanna be and have just started getting some "real" seat time with the ProAutoSports guys. What I am trying to find out is where I can go to get the mods that I need to eventually run with you guys, should I get that far.
I'm pretty sure that all I am needing (right now) is the PSS9's, front sway bar, cage, seat, fire suppression and front big brake kit. Most everything else I have already installed (thanks to Todd my guru of all things mech .)

Missed you Saturday Mark. Got a chance to bug Randy, Rick and Norm and of course get in the way of the MNS boyz.

Had a blast embarassing a guy in a new Vette during the 4th session. He would pull away on the straight but I had him again going in the carosel and pushed him back to the straight, then gone again. We did that for 6 or 7 laps then he finally let me go. One lap and he was gone . That absolutely made my day. Wish you could have seen it Mark.

Anyways, love seeing all those Mini's out there and hope to be one someday.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:39 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by onasled
Now why would they make such a silly rule when in fact Toyo recommends a 7.5" wide rim for these tires?
Well, they don't want us cornering faster than the big guns, naturally

Old 03-07-2006, 12:54 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
I will be running at Mid-Ohio on April 22-23rd

Old 03-07-2006, 01:07 PM
MarkC
3rd Gear
Kelly

Sorry I missed you but glad you were out at the track.

Let me know if you have any questions on who should work on your car (other than Todd).

Talk soon

Old 03-07-2006, 01:23 PM
newbs49
Banned
Phil
Don't you have to get a license from NASA to enter the race. From what I've seen you've only did HPDE events.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:07 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
I am applying for a provisional one ...

Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Pflashinaz
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's some pics from the Feb. Spec MINI race @ Firebird.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:53 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great stuff guys! Wish you would start showing us some pictures of your cars. Looks like you all are having a great time!

Old 03-07-2006, 03:29 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Very Cool !!!

Old 03-07-2006, 03:56 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkC
I race in the Spec MINI series here in Arizona. There are about 14 cars built over the past few years that run in the Arizona series. The rules are "overseen" by NASA with input from a MINI driver.
Hey Mark....Quick question. So you are saying that we HAVE to run H-Sport and Bilstein? I am all about H-Sport/Bilstein products but have a great source for cheap Alta parts. Also, I favor KW. Does this mean I can't run with you guys? I too am a wannabe track poser. I have a MC though and live in Phoenix BUT am trying to source an MCS motor/tranny. Can I sneak by?

Old 03-08-2006, 07:33 AM
MarkC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
Hey Mark....Quick question. So you are saying that we HAVE to run H-Sport and Bilstein? I am all about H-Sport/Bilstein products but have a great source for cheap Alta parts. Also, I favor KW. Does this mean I can't run with you guys? I too am a wannabe track poser. I have a MC though and live in Phoenix BUT am trying to source an MCS motor/tranny. Can I sneak by?
Keep in mind this is a Spec series. All the cars are the same and must adhear to the specifications as outlined in the rules. Parts that are spec'd are the parts we must use... i.e.: no Penske shocks, etc. I think a review of the rules would tell you that unfortunatly you could not "sneak by".

I would suggest you get track tires/wheels and start with a street class and trust me, in the "passing allowed group", people do "race".

Old 03-08-2006, 10:39 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
What ECU are you guys running ? DO TELL

Old 03-08-2006, 11:10 AM
MarkC
3rd Gear
Evotech 100 octane

Old 03-08-2006, 01:10 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
o.k., anyone still running a UniChip? Is there a big gain with the EvoTech?

What redline are you using?

Old 03-08-2006, 02:10 PM
MarkC
3rd Gear
Our redline is 7250.

Gain??? I have no idea.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
adis_daddy
2nd Gear
I think there may be a difference with the 100 octane flash but the "normal" 91 or 93 is likely very similar. Not confirmed. You may want to check with Randy. He sells both the UniChip and EVOTech.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:34 PM
MarkC
3rd Gear
Kelly

You are correct 91-93 is almost the same. I doubt any of us would know the difference.

I really don't think the 100 flash is all it is cracked up to be but you gotta have it. Actually I have a 95 flash and I don't see the 100 flash guys running away from me.

I can say being able to run a higher octane really helps the cars. Even if you have a "91 flash" when you add a few gallons of 100 octane you can tell a difference. I think there is a point where just adding more 100 O will not provide wanted gains but a few gallons (2-3) to a tank really does help.

Quick Reply: NASA 2006 Spec MINI -MINI Challenge Series