R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Turbo-related Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 03:06 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Turbo-related Issue?

I'll do this in bullet form to reduce the wall of text.
  • Car is fine after cold start, turbo pulls strong and consistently kicks in as required.
  • Car is R60 Cooper S Countryman All4 with 6AT. N18 engine 2011 model.
  • Highway speeds: intermittently but for long stretches of time, the turbo goes AWOL and I'm stuck with Toyota Yaris power (maybe even worse!). No turbo surge. Engine spins up nicely but no power. No, the transmission is not slipping, since the revs don't skyrocket suddenly. Put the car in cruise control at 120 km/h and the transmission has to kick down a gear to make the mildest of grades.
  • No check engine lights or limp mode, etc. I have a code reader and there are absolutely no standard OBD2 codes, pending or permanent. The code reader also understands MINI proprietary codes and there are none of those, either.
  • Valvetronic motor was replaced last week and adaptations cleared, recalibration performed at the dealer. Don't think this is related but full disclosure.
  1. I am second owner so I have no history to fall back on with this car. Original owner did all the maintenance items on the car and there's lots of evidence of TLC.
  2. Is there an extended warrantly on Canadian N18 engined 2011 and later R60s as there is in the US. (120,000 miles / 10 years)?
  3. I've scanned through the threads and used Mr. Google and I've heard a bit of chatter of wastegate issues, blocked cat, dirty MAF and/or intake. I'm not discounting these or putting words in anyone's mouths, I just want to know if anyone here can slam dunk tell me that I need a new Turbo (or <insert name of part here>)
Thanks y'all! This forum is an excellent resource. I'm in love with this car and I will see that it gets the attention that it deserves. ;-)

Old 03-06-2019, 01:45 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Car is at the dealership now. I will pick it up tomorrow, but apparently the problem was cooling related. One of the coolant hoses had to be replaced and they recommended replacing the "water pipe" (?) at the same time as I have an old design which has since been superseded by an improved part. Also the wiring to the thermostat and its housing (assume to temperature sensor) was incorrectly rewired when my selling Kia dealership replaced those parts a month ago. Car was peeing a lot of coolant but I didn't notice since the dealer had topped it off during two unrelated previous visits (valvetronic motor and LF hub/wheel bearing)

I was so sure it was a blocked cat. The dealership seems confident that everything was coolant related (loss of power, excessive heat + fans running ...) I will report back, not because I take any great pleasure in being wrong but because I figure it might help someone else out if they're having similar problems.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:34 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
I hope they're right and this takes care of the problem. I looked on RealOEM and there's nothing listed as "water pipe" on the cooling system hoses page. Anyone know what that is?

Old 03-07-2019, 02:52 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dmath
I hope they're right and this takes care of the problem. I looked on RealOEM and there's nothing listed as "water pipe" on the cooling system hoses page. Anyone know what that is?
New service advisor. Really new. Used to be one of the gophers and car jockeys and I don’t know how technically inclined he is. ;-)

Old 03-07-2019, 06:43 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Water pipe: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/11537589713/
Upper rad hose: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/17129802110/
From my completed work order:
COMPLAINT: Check Engine Light Diagnosis D2 CUSTOMER AWARE IT COULD TAKE 24-48HRS CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS NO C.E.L. BUT FEELING LOS S OF POWER AFTER PERIOD OF TIME COOLANT FAN CONSISTENTLY ON AT ALL TIMES COOLANT TEMP. AT 225 DEGREES F. FUEL
CORRECTION: SCANNED FOR FAULT CODES..NO FAULTS FOUND COOLANT LOW IN TANK.. INSPECTED FOR COOLANT LEAK...FOUND WATER PIPE LEAKING AT PUMP..ALSO HAS OLD STYLE COOLANT HOSE WITH SENSOR AND 2 ADAPTER LEADS PLUGED TOGETHER.. AT THIS POINT I WOULD REPLACE WATER PIPE AND HOSE AND REMOVE THE 1 HARNESS ADAPTER THAT IS NOT REQUIRED
CORRECTION: REPLACED WATER PIPE , COOLANT HOSE AND WIRED THERMOSTAT PROPERLY.. ROAD TESTED CAR HOME ( AROUND 30KM ) CAR DROVE FINE.. LOTS OF POWER ON ACCEL MONITOR
$818 CDN taxes in including 4.3 hours labour. Reasonable and they give 15% discount for 2011 and older MINIs. Now, do I risk it for a 4000 km round trip to SC starting tomorrow????

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 07:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,971 Likes on 1,771 Posts
I would not risk, get it done. You don't want to overheat. I would see if they can get you in or get you a loner for the time being and explain you have prior engagements. Dealer might bump you up in line.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-07-2019, 07:38 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I would not risk, get it done. You don't want to overheat. I would see if they can get you in or get you a loner for the time being and explain you have prior engagements. Dealer might bump you up in line.
The work has been completed per my post. I'm just being a Nervous Nellie... ;-)

Old 03-07-2019, 07:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,971 Likes on 1,771 Posts
Sorry, my bad, i thought you did not have it done. As long as the system has been bled by the shop and started and stop a couple of times, You should be fine.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
eric.stewart (03-07-2019)
Old 02-15-2020, 11:33 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Here we are almost a year later and the problem I had hasn't resurfaced. Turns out that it *was* just cooling system related. Ironically I am having the turbo replaced next week but that's another (and unrelated) story!